Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware booking flights with BA....

Beware booking flights with BA....

Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:53 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all
Default Beware booking flights with BA....

From the Guardian....

British Airways passengers face a chaotic new year as 11,000 cabin crew prepare to strike over a dispute with senior management. The Transport and General Workers Union said its cabin crew members will vote on industrial action and could strike by the end of January, grounding many flights and causing long delays.

The T&G accused BA of capping pay by limiting promotion opportunities and forcing cabin crew to work while unwell under new sickness absence rules.
BA's chief executive, said other parts of the company had accepted reforms of working practices and cabin crew would have to accept the same.

"This cannot be the way forward at a time when other parts of our business have negotiated and balloted to accept new competitive ways of working. Our cabin crew care greatly about our customers and we will do all we can to protect them all from this unnecessary and unwelcome threat of industrial action."

---

I did have a little rant about this but think i got up on the wrong side of bed today (bloody cricket!) and when i opened the door it is a fantastic day outside (first sunshine for a month - and in December!!) and life does not feel as bad :-)

So just a heads up

Cheers
Murph

Last edited by The Murphsters; Dec 16th 2006 at 1:31 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware booking flights with BA....

As I have mentioned on another thread tonight there is a very big likelihood of BA cabin crew striking during the first three months of next year. I've got a lot of friends in the industry and their advice is not to book too far ahead if you are travelling with BA, as the flights just may not happen.
I know not many people on here travel over to Aus with BA, but those booking Qantas need to make sure that if their flight is a BA codeshare, that its Qantas operated. Or to be really safe travel with someone else. Its just decided me to use Cathay for my next trip instead of Qantas, to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

More info HERE
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:26 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Sorry Pollyana, did i put this in the wrong forum?
I thought this would count as an immigration topic?

Cheers
Murph
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Sorry Pollyana, did i put this in the wrong forum?
I thought this would count as an immigration topic?

Cheers
Murph
No problem - there is still a link in there which people will follow to here. Wider audience in here for this kind of topic
Have to say its a very useful warning, and its obviously being spread far and wide - BAs profits will start to dive soon Personally I flew BA once, and that was enough, but I know there are people that use them a lot, and I'd hate to think of people getting caught out. You really don't need that kind of stress at the last minute, do you
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:01 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No problem - there is still a link in there which people will follow to here. Wider audience in here for this kind of topic
Have to say its a very useful warning, and its obviously being spread far and wide - BAs profits will start to dive soon Personally I flew BA once, and that was enough, but I know there are people that use them a lot, and I'd hate to think of people getting caught out. You really don't need that kind of stress at the last minute, do you
There's you stuck in Aus again then , may be a conspiracy theory to stop you leaving the country to get those not available in Aus goods.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by annqldau
There's you stuck in Aus again then , may be a conspiracy theory to stop you leaving the country to get those not available in Aus goods.
Nope, going in February to get Dad's books and stuff (fingers crossed), but not flying BA - no chance
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The Transport and General Workers Union helping more industries to their doom .........
Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Nope, going in February to get Dad's books and stuff (fingers crossed), but not flying BA - no chance
Wise choice. Book with anyone but BA.

This made me laugh:

"Our cabin crew care greatly about our customers"

Not in my sad experiences of flying with them.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought you'd remember it's cold then (heat obviously getting to you).

Couldn't the books have come on the container and you could at least have had a summer trip.

We have only flew Singapore and Emirats and had good service both times overall.