Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware Austravel

Beware Austravel

Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice
Default Beware Austravel

Hi
I don't know if anyone on here has any ideas to help
my son with his fiancee i booked this on 24th feb and they were coming here 11th of june they are flying with qantas but booked through austravel
well as normal with yougsters they have now split up and she is now not coming now i had paid for the two flights and i was getting the money from the g/f when she got here. so i have lost that money from her end
i contacted austravel and they just said no name changes you have to cancel the flight and you will recieve no refund all i wanted to do was change her name into that of my other son and just pay the admin fee
they would not budge i contacted qantas and they said it is up to austravel if they give anything back and they have already said no even if austravel had said tell you what lets go halfs and i lose half the fair i would have thought that was fair enough any ideas would be very helpful

Billy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:18 pm
aza
Just Joined

aza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beware Austravel

I'd try and speak to someone more senior at austravel if possible.If no joy dont cancel (if no money back ),just so they dont sell the seat again.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
my son with his fiancee i booked this on 24th feb and they were coming here 11th of june they are flying with qantas but booked through austravel
well as normal with yougsters they have now split up and she is now not coming now i had paid for the two flights and i was getting the money from the g/f when she got here. so i have lost that money from her end
i contacted austravel and they just said no name changes you have to cancel the flight and you will recieve no refund all i wanted to do was change her name into that of my other son and just pay the admin fee
they would not budge i contacted qantas and they said it is up to austravel if they give anything back and they have already said no even if austravel had said tell you what lets go halfs and i lose half the fair i would have thought that was fair enough any ideas would be very helpful

Billy
Unfortunately no schedule airline will let you change the name on an airline ticket, so this is not the fault of Austravel, it is the airline who set the rules. I worked for a travel agent for 12 years before I moved over to NZ and this is general practice for no name changes on schedule airlines even on shorter flights to Europe.

When I worked for Thomas Cook, we used to have to tell the rules and restrictions on the ticket, which on the last 12 months prior to me leaving were becoming non refundable tickets and no changes allowed

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they should refund the airline taxes as taxes are non payable if you dont travel, so they should give you a refund of this..so I would certainly go back to them and ask for that, and most definitely kick up a stink if they say no

hope this bit helps

dawn
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:26 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Billy
if it were only a couple of weeks to go till travel then you could understand the no refund bit....but FFS it is 11 weeks away.....I would defo ask to speak to someone more senior at Austravel.....as normally it is the airlines that but the terms and conds on the flights not the travel agents............My bro changed the name on a ticket just a couple of months ago.....it wasnt a prob because the tickets hadnt been issued
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:29 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Depending on what type of ticket that you bought, even if you cancel a ticket, the airline "may" also charge you cancellation fees. Stupid i know but it does happen.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot does depend on the terms and conditions of the ticket. I book travel daily for people at work, and by paying more we get more flexibility - sometimes you can change the name (though thats usually domestic only), sometimes the flight times, often you can't change anything, especially if its a special offer or cheap ticket.

Austravel's actions are bound by the airline's terms and conditions for that particular fare class on that flight.
Sorry.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 27th 2007 at 9:34 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot does depend on the terms and conditions of the ticket. I book travel daily for people at work, and by paying more we get more flexibility - sometimes you can change the name (though thats usually domestic only), sometimes the flight times, often you can't change anything, especially if its a special offer or cheap ticket.

Austravel's actions are bound by the airline's terms and conditions for that particular fare class on that flight.
Sorry.
Perhaps if you contact qantas again and ask them if they will allow a name change if austravel are bound by their restrictions. Maybe worth a go.

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:40 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Billy
what type of ticket is it mate?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:49 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Get the ex-fiancee to pay
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly thats the case with cheap tickets. A full price fare gives a bit more flexibility but that sounds normal as it would have been a non transferable and no refundable ticket type by the sounds of it. Check the class of travel and fare, this will give you a code for the type of fare. There are many different ticket types amongst qantas, all with different restrictions on it. Anything other than a Y class for economy and you may be flogging a dead horse
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:02 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

its not your fault that your son and his girlfriend have split up. why should you be out of pocket. the ex girlfriend needs to pay for her ticket whether she's going or not!

Jackie x
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi
Thanks to all i will try some of your suggestions it was a ticket purchased 4 weeks ago and i have the ticket details by e-mail but with no conditions on the e-mail when i contacted austravel they just said it was a no refund ticket
when i asked if i could then cancel that ticket and get my other son the same ticket i was told no as the price has risen it just seams as though they have my money and don't care about anything else

Billy
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:21 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a domestic flight?
If you use the e-checkin thing they never check your name anyway

Hi
Thanks to all i will try some of your suggestions it was a ticket purchased 4 weeks ago and i have the ticket details by e-mail but with no conditions on the e-mail when i contacted austravel they just said it was a no refund ticket
when i asked if i could then cancel that ticket and get my other son the same ticket i was told no as the price has risen it just seams as though they have my money and don't care about anything else

Billy
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themerlin
Is it a domestic flight?
If you use the e-checkin thing they never check your name anyway
Hi
No its Edinburgh To Brisbane

Billy
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Billy
Billy - if the price has gone up, would they not allow you to pay the extra/difference but keep the same seat etc??

How does your son feel about this??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.