British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Better quality of life in Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/better-quality-life-australia-247649/)

dugongs Aug 17th 2004 7:19 am

Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

good thread and enjoyed reading through it but why is it that people post facts to support an argument without linking the source. claims such as australia being the fastest growing economy in the world and the highest gdp per capita in the world are simply not true.

oecd 2003 figures show

oz gdp US$508 billion which makes it the 12th largest economy in the world. growing fastest it is 11th in the world.

gdp per capita US$24,685 (19th in the world) - UK US$29,642 ranked 13th. UK 4th largest in the world US$1.775 billion. 13th fastest growing.

as for average income being c.$1k per week - that is not for an individual that is for the whole household.

Don Aug 17th 2004 7:25 am

Originally Posted by dugongs
good thread and enjoyed reading through it but why is it that people post facts to support an argument without linking the source. claims such as australia being the fastest growing economy in the world and the highest gdp per capita in the world are simply not true.

oecd 2003 figures show

oz gdp US$508 billion which makes it the 12th largest economy in the world. growing fastest it is 11th in the world.

gdp per capita US$24,685 (19th in the world) - UK US$29,642 ranked 13th. UK 4th largest in the world US$1.775 billion. 13th fastest growing.

as for average income being c.$1k per week - that is not for an individual that is for the whole household.

Don't give us facts give us feelings! :cool:

Hels Aug 17th 2004 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Exactly. Sydney may be my home town but I'm not going back there. Plus, the 'Gabba is a nicer place to watch cricket than what the SCG is. :D

The MCG is the best of them all tho...... ;) :cool:

b.uk Aug 17th 2004 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Cal B
Hi ! Would appreciate any views on this subject as currently feeling very disillusioned with this country.Is the grass greener on the other side?

The grass is the same shade of green wherever you are! However, as one of Terry Wogan's Togs, my advice is .....go for it....this life aint a dress rehearsal....experience it to the full. So you may make a mistake but you will have gained in some ways. You can always go back to "start".
I have friends and family in Aus who complain about the taxes, petrol prices,speed restrictions but....they are not coming back to the UK!!!!!
Melbourne seems pretty cosmopolitan and is a fantastic place...I have read quite a bit on the Moving to Melbourne site....they seem a great crowd....a guy call Steve at Melbournehelp seems down to earth.....maybe he can help you with info. At the end of the day though...it's your life.

Siren & Brian Aug 17th 2004 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Hels
The MCG is the best of them all tho...... ;) :cool:

Yes the Boxing day Test match is a pretty awesome experience.

But watching them duck, wieve and basically shit themselves at the WACA aint too bad either :eek:

Amazulu Aug 17th 2004 10:59 am

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I see that your second-rate acountancy skills are coming to the fore yet again. Ask your Aussie chums based in London where they earn considerably more money - UK or Oz? I don't recall anybody say "Right, I'm off to Oz to earn some real money!"

Get real. Almost all professional positions pay considerably better in UK than in Oz. Apart from acquiring some cash, Aussies and Kiwis come to Europe to travel, and broaden their horizons.

You should try it.

You are spot on. In the Network Rail office in London that I work in, half the engineers & designers are from the Southern Hemisphere (including me). Nearly all are contractors & the rates are fantastic (ever wondered why train tickets are so expensive in the UK?). Ask any of them & they will tell you that they are coining compared to what they would earn downunder. Even with London's high cost of living, they are financially better off.

Hels Aug 17th 2004 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Siren
Yes the Boxing day Test match is a pretty awesome experience.

But watching them duck, wieve and basically shit themselves at the WACA aint too bad either :eek:

I havent been to the WACA so I cant comment....but I am sure they are all pretty darn good places to watch cricket....

I remember going to the MCG as a kid and we would sit on the outskirts of Bay 13 and it would be a laugh a minute....that place was notorious....fantastic time....

MrsMangle Aug 17th 2004 11:14 am

We didn't come to Australia looking for a better life - Mr Mangle was lucky enough to be offered a good job out here and basically it was an opportunity we couldn't refuse...now that we're here, (recent arrivals) we're settling in very happily, but there is probably a reason...
I would say I can't remember the last time (if ever!) I made so much effort to improve my life at one time... by this I mean making a conscious effort to get out and meet people, go to new places, find a new job (for me), try new leisure activities... I supppose the move has made me think alot more about what I want from life (e.g. do I want a commute to work, live in the city etc)
I dont know if I would ever have made so much conscious effort to improve my QoL in the UK, where life was plodding along quite happily?
I know some people are lucky enough to have lots of contacts here already, but I would guess most people make lots of sacrifices (even if short term) to move here, in terms of financing their trip over, leaving behind their pals, jobs etc...all of which impact on qol.

Hels Aug 17th 2004 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
We didn't come to Australia looking for a better life - Mr Mangle was lucky enough to be offered a good job out here and basically it was an opportunity we couldn't refuse...now that we're here, (recent arrivals) we're settling in very happily, but there is probably a reason...
I would say I can't remember the last time (if ever!) I made so much effort to improve my life at one time... by this I mean making a conscious effort to get out and meet people, go to new places, find a new job (for me), try new leisure activities... I supppose the move has made me think alot more about what I want from life (e.g. do I want a commute to work, live in the city etc)
I dont know if I would ever have made so much conscious effort to improve my QoL in the UK, where life was plodding along quite happily?
I know some people are lucky enough to have lots of contacts here already, but I would guess most people make lots of sacrifices (even if short term) to move here, in terms of financing their trip over, leaving behind their pals, jobs etc...all of which impact on qol.

Sounds to me like you have a terrific frame of mind....good for you :D

Where in Vic are you??

MrsMangle Aug 17th 2004 11:27 am

Sounds to me like you have a terrific frame of mind....good for you :D

Where in Vic are you??

thanks hels
we are yet more poms in melbourne! - when do you arrive in Bendigo?
m

Hels Aug 17th 2004 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
thanks hels
we are yet more poms in melbourne! - when do you arrive in Bendigo?
m

I just so wish there was a way I could convey my excited tone when I say...

30th September!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Quinkana Aug 17th 2004 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by dugongs

oecd 2003 figures show

Here, I'll make it easy for you - here is a link with links: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post1594915

Can't help with the underwater reading.

possoms Aug 17th 2004 11:00 pm

Hi
Nothing to do with this thread but i just love your picture of the Dugong we went up to Exmouth WA to try to see them but they had migtrated somewhere elsewould love to have seen them.
Kay :)

Quinkana Aug 17th 2004 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi
Nothing to do with this thread but i just love your picture of the Dugong we went up to Exmouth WA to try to see them but they had migtrated somewhere elsewould love to have seen them.
Kay :)

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park - Dugong Press Releases

http://www.bencropp.com.au/images/dugong.jpg

Roz from Aus Aug 17th 2004 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cal B
Hi ! Would appreciate any views on this subject as currently feeling very disillusioned with this country.Is the grass greener on the other side?

G'day Cal. well I have lived here in Aus for 24 years, had two husbands, raised three children etc, etc, etc, I love this place, it is good for my family. It is 10 years (at least) behind UK in many ways, which may be a good thing.......scenery is great, weather is great, we are spoilt in Australia in many ways.............I have been lucky enough to visit the UK over the years on several occations (definantly a must) I love and miss the pubs, (can't beat them!) miss puddin chips and gravy (if from the north, Manchester) love and miss the snow and christmas holidays........no matter how long you live here in this magnificent country and embrase the culture etc you will always miss a part of your heritge and lifestyle of the UK (in my opinion of course) However! we are in a position now financially to choose if we will go back to Uk or stay here, we are not packing! my advice is to enjoy life where ever you are, you're a long time dead.........Cya! :) from sunny Queensland (Brisbane)

possoms Aug 18th 2004 12:17 am

Absolutely fantastic picture thank you and very informative website :D

Don Aug 18th 2004 4:20 am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that dugong has been on the waccy baccy? :)

Bix Aug 18th 2004 5:33 am

30th September!!!!!!!!!

NEWSFLASH

House prices tumble in Bendigo

This was previously a much sought after country settlement but according to local realty experts they are witnessing a massive exodus of the population. :p :D

possoms Aug 18th 2004 6:03 am

Originally Posted by The Don
Is it just me or does anyone else think that dugong has been on the waccy baccy? :)

He's just natuarlly chilled man :cool:

Hels Aug 18th 2004 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Bix
NEWSFLASH

House prices tumble in Bendigo

This was previously a much sought after country settlement but according to local realty experts they are witnessing a massive exodus of the population.

NEWSFLASH

A Lion has been found in Australia....Sources say there is a hunter about with the intention of catching and neutering it for the safety of the entire Nation

:rolleyes: ;) :D

Bix Aug 18th 2004 8:47 am

1 Attachment(s)
I was gonna give you some Karma but it still tells me I've given you too much already but don't tell your hubby ;)

In Cornwall they use the tools available to carry out the deed...... :eek:

b.uk Aug 18th 2004 9:40 am

Originally Posted by wombat42
Many would put "attidudes to women from the dark ages" in the better list.

OOOPS! Tiny bit provocative, don't you think?!!!!!!

Hels Aug 18th 2004 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Bix
I was gonna give you some Karma but it still tells me I've given you too much already but don't tell your hubby

In Cornwall they use the tools available to carry out the deed......

It will be our little secret.... ;) :p

I understood from reading the rest of that very informative and obviously well researched article...the hunter had in mind a cheese grater?? :confused:

:D

Bix Aug 18th 2004 10:17 am

:scared: :scared:

Have you ever seen a lion outrun a cheetah ? :D

lisahaining Oct 19th 2004 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
We Certaintly are!!!! Off to Perth Mandurah area as we have second cousins there that we have never met.That is if we get our visa of course.Where are you thinking of going to?

We are thinking of coming to Perth rather than Brisbane, what do you think? Mandurah seems really nice.

gauri_gvs1 Nov 29th 2004 12:30 am

Hi All,

I am a new member of Britiosh Expats. I am from Indis. My boyfriend would be moving to Australia in a month or two.

I am a software professional and am current doing ABAP module of SAP. I would like to know how is the SAP scenario in AUSTRALIA. Would anyoe let me kow about this.

Gauri :confused:

Olibeneli Nov 29th 2004 12:49 am

Originally Posted by gauri_gvs1
Hi All,

I am a new member of Britiosh Expats. I am from Indis. My boyfriend would be moving to Australia in a month or two.

I am a software professional and am current doing ABAP module of SAP. I would like to know how is the SAP scenario in AUSTRALIA. Would anyoe let me kow about this.

Gauri :confused:

I hope you don't write your ABAP code in English.

Seriously, if I were to employ you writing ABAP you'd have to demonstrate perfect written and verbal English.

Besides this, I expect Oz is outsourcing a great deal back to India/China just like the UK/Europe.

walla Nov 29th 2004 1:01 am

Originally Posted by lisahaining
We are thinking of coming to Perth rather than Brisbane, what do you think? Mandurah seems really nice.

Mandurah is beautiful but if you need to work beside the city it's a bit of a trek in, about an hour.

jugsy Nov 29th 2004 2:13 am

[QUOTE=Hels]People in London HAVE to earn loads more than anywhere just to survive. The rent here, just for a small flat is similar in ££'s what you would pay in $$ for somewhere compariable in Oz....

I think London and the South east should be separated from the rest of Britain when comparing cost of living. The capital is a different world compared to the rest of the country. I moved from London to Birmingham a few years ago. I took a drop in salary but my standard of living is far higher - I just couldn't afford to live in London any more. I think for the average person living in London they would be better off ANYWHERE else be it Australia or somewhere else in Britain.
The only way I am worse off now is the fact that there is no culture in Birmingham and it's not very pretty :D