Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of Aussie life in Queensland ?

Better quality of Aussie life in Queensland ?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Better quality of Aussie life in Queensland ?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hmmmmmmm - theres a difference between the "Gold Coast", and "Queensland"........people in Birdsville might be surprised to hear they are 15-20 mins from the beach

LOL!!You're right Polly !
BUT, most of the Queensland posters on here seem to be coastal Queensland. (or 15-20 mins from the beach) I wonder if that's why they love it s-o-o- much !
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough

just need a few answers to questions that have been bothering me.

1. r there loads of mossies?

2. where is the best place (weather wise) especially to settle in oz?

3. is the education system the same as the uk?
we have a 7 year old, 3 year old and an 8 month baby.

we r thinking brisbane but would that be for us. what would you recommend for a family.

Last edited by Roofman; Aug 25th 2005 at 3:12 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

YES

That depends on the type of weather u like. you can live in Victoria and love snow or Darwin where its hot all year round
NO

we r thinking brisbane but would that be for us. what would you recommend for a family.
All three questions have been tossed about this forum most weeks. Its hard for one answer to any of your questions. As soon as someone names a place that they think is the best, there’s always another ten to argue it. Try searching for thread by using the title of your question. Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

where is the best place (weather wise) especially to settle in oz?
Every person has their own "best". The beauty of Oz is that within one country, a continent in itself, there is an entire spectrum of climates. From cool european (Tas) up to sub-tropical (FNQ). Just position yourself, and your good wife, in the town on the appropriate latitude, then enjoy!

On a purely personal note, I prefer the "humid" heat of QLD to the "dry" heat of WA; I find my skin and lips get very dry and crack in WA (Lucas' PawPaw Ointment a sovereign remedy for this incidentally). In QLD, you might get a bit sweaty, but what else are pools and showers for? (No POM jokes pls Womabt)...
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy

YES

That depends on the type of weather u like. you can live in Victoria and love snow or Darwin where its hot all year round
NO

All three questions have been tossed about this forum most weeks. Its hard for one answer to any of your questions. As soon as someone names a place that they think is the best, there’s always another ten to argue it. Try searching for thread by using the title of your question. Good luck

Exactly - saved me from having to answer apart from one comment.

Roofman, asking "whats the best place (weatherwise)to live in Australia" is like asking "whats the best place to live (weatherwise) in Europe" . They are about the same size .

And I agree :scared: with jad&rich's first post.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Aug 25th 2005 at 10:27 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:25 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Exactly - saved me from having to answer apart from one comment.

Roofman, asking "whats the best place (weatherwise)to live in Australia" is like asking "whats the best place to live (weatherwise) in Europe" .
good point mrs D
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:34 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
[ Even though you maybe haven't got the money to buy a house it's still realistic to think you can get one at some point, either you need to save the deposit or there are loads of places offering 100% morgages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been looking into mortgages recently.We are in a lovely rental but due to the removal of vendors tax , the owners are probably going to sell. (They had a market appraisal done last week)
Points to note for people coming here with the bare minimum.
1. Because we have just ourselfs to rely on for child care , I only work on a casual contract , so if need be , I can be here for the kids.
2. Because I only work casual , a majority of morgage lenders disregard my wage completely despite the fact I earn more than my husband.
3.My husband and I are both professionals - nurses -and do not have a lump sum to invest as a deposit. So far there are only 2 banks happy to lend 100% morgage BUT doesn't look like they will proceed any futher because we cannot prove a 3 year saving plan in this country.(we've only been here 9 months). Our savings are starting to go back up now (what's left) but due to relocation costs of everything, it doesn't look good on paper.(BUT we have NO debt !!!! )
4.The $7000 first time buyers allowance from the government would have to be used to pay the insurance on the loan as we have no deposit or garrantors .(forgot what it's really called but will post it when I remember) (and look at my spelling ! :scared: )
5.Saving for a deposit on $300,000 even with the minimum amount accepted 5% is still $15,000 and will take a few years to save , by which point we will have lost the window on the market.(but we will have AT LEAST 3 years saving history then ! )
We will be able to pay our morgage payments ,no worries , but it's back to getting your foot on the ladder !
Thats why I was wondering if in comparison living in Queensland is really much cheaper as houses don't seem to be BUT if the quality of life is better , well !!!
Hey , I've hijacked my own thread !

Just another option if you do have to wait a few years before getting a substantial loan for your own home would be to get an investment house in the mean time. It could be alot less of a loan for a unit or something, rent it out, which would help pay some of the mortgage also increase in capital value and will also prove to the banks that you pay the money back.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: Better quality of Aussie life in Queensland ?

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Just another option if you do have to wait a few years before getting a substantial loan for your own home would be to get an investment house in the mean time. It could be alot less of a loan for a unit or something, rent it out, which would help pay some of the mortgage also increase in capital value and will also prove to the banks that you pay the money back.

Hi there ! Pardon my ignorance on this but , can we do this without having any capital to put down ?If we can't get a home loan for our primary residence , who is going to give us one for an investment loan ?Is this comman practice in Australia ?
Thanks for any answers.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:18 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi there ! Pardon my ignorance on this but , can we do this without having any capital to put down ?If we can't get a home loan for our primary residence , who is going to give us one for an investment loan ?Is this comman practice in Australia ?
Thanks for any answers.
All the best,
Tass.
I think what Brian is saying is that if you couldnt afford a loan on a decent house in Sydney for you to live in (say $500K upwards, either the repayments or cant save the deposit), then perhaps you could afford a loan on a much cheaper investment property eg $200K for a unit. Remember that the IP doesnt have to be in Sydney, plenty of places you can get decent units or townhouses for around the $200K mark.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the way the market seems to be turning, there is no guarantee that an investment property will make any capital gains in the short term.

(PS. I dont know your situation with regard to deposit/jobs/ability to service th eloan, Im just explaining what Brian meant )
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I think what Brian is saying is that if you couldnt afford a loan on a decent house in Sydney for you to live in (say $500K upwards, either the repayments or cant save the deposit), then perhaps you could afford a loan on a much cheaper investment property eg $200K for a unit. Remember that the IP doesnt have to be in Sydney, plenty of places you can get decent units or townhouses for around the $200K mark.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the way the market seems to be turning, there is no guarantee that an investment property will make any capital gains in the short term.

(PS. I dont know your situation with regard to deposit/jobs/ability to service th eloan, Im just explaining what Brian meant )

Thanks Mrs Dagboy !
House prices where we live are between $230-$350 , for a brick clad 3-4 bedroom home with or without pool on a decent size of land.A typical surburbian family home.So for us , an investment property would be pointless.
Thanks anyway guys , you gave me hope there !
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:47 am
Badge

"its dark at 7pm"

I was thinking about that, if you have a 40 min commute, say, and you put in an extra hour at the office, the Brissy lifestyle can actually hit quite hard. You could easily spend weeks without enjoying the sun apart from weekends if you work in an office...and am on a big project etc.

Badge

Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Better quality of Aussie life in Queensland ?

Originally Posted by Badge
"its dark at 7pm"

I was thinking about that, if you have a 40 min commute, say, and you put in an extra hour at the office, the Brissy lifestyle can actually hit quite hard. You could easily spend weeks without enjoying the sun apart from weekends if you work in an office...and am on a big project etc.

Badge

What time does it get dark in Victoria ,Badge ? Do you have longer nights in the summer ? Well , later than 7pm?
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Badge
"its dark at 7pm"

Badge
Sun goes down at 7pm, dark at about 7.30pm.

You would only not enjoy the sun during the working week if you managed to go to work at about 3.30am as well as working back til after 7 .

Tass, Victoria (& the other southern states) get dark around 9.30pm or so - a combination of long twilight & daylight savings (which we have neither of in Qld).
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:40 am
Badge

Sun goes down at 7pm, dark at about 7.30pm.

You would only not enjoy the sun during the working week if you managed to go to work at about 3.30am as well as working back til after 7 .

Tass, Victoria (& the other southern states) get dark around 9.30pm or so - a combination of long twilight & daylight savings (which we have neither of in Qld).
got there before me...

yup 9.30pm in Melly.

Us Victorians enjoy high summer mixed with high (long) days.
Unlike Qlders who roast at the same time they have their longest days.

Badge

PS I can appreciate its sunny early, but you have your work head on then, not your relax head..

bugger I think I've just been really negative about austraya.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Early dark nights bothered me slightly when we first got here, more as a 'what we've lost' type of thing. Then Ste told me to shut up and took me outside to the garden for a glass of wine or two. We spent the evening having a laugh (yes, in the dark but we do have lighting here in QLD) and getting progressively more and more drunk.

Light nights are pleasant in the UK but not the be all and end all. I think part of the 'thing' with light nights in the UK is the whole thing Brits get wrapped up in (me included, when was in the UK) which is: 'it's summer - hooray!!!', 'it's a bit warmer - hooray!!!', 'err...and it's light late at night - hooray!!!'

I can have fun in the dark here, just as much as when I had fun with the light nights in the UK. It's a very small sacrafice to make when everything else here is so beautiful.

To the OP, I don't think that anyone (apart from the really well travelled - and I include Ste in that) can say whether or not QLD can give a better quality of life / more happiness / better prospects / whatever -(and that was purely for our circumstances and our family).

Each to their own - some love Melbourne - I couldn't live there. I can appreciate it as a city and also the surrounding areas and would love to visit again but it didn't feel 'right' for me. Some like Perth - to me it's too isolated, in terms of being away from the rest of Aus, many HUNDREDS on here will disagree (and quite rightly so - 'cos they love it there).

You will find your spot, which suits you. It may take you some time to find it but when you do it will be right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.