Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which is better Melbourne or Sydney

which is better Melbourne or Sydney

Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Exclamation which is better Melbourne or Sydney

Hello to all of you,

just wanted to know which one is better to live in from a young lively married couple point of view

which city is better in terms of

Jobs,
Cost of living + food,
Transportation expense (buses,trains,tubes etc)
fun (beach,nightlife,clubbing,etc)
low crime rate.
Weather
miscllenous (festivals,celeberations,sports)

regards,

naufil
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

supriyag123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: which is better Melbourne or Sydney

Originally Posted by naufil
Hello to all of you,

just wanted to know which one is better to live in from a young lively married couple point of view

Jobs,
Cost of living + food,
low crime rate.
Weather

regards,

naufil
I am also interested to know this. Although I have already been in Oz for 1 yr, I have never gone out of perth

I understand that this question can not be answered in black and white as it totally depends on perception of individuals. Job wise (for IT professional), I reckon sydney and melbourne are more or less same.

However, if somebdy can throw some lights on transportation expense+cost of living, wud be good.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all

Originally Posted by supriyag123
I am also interested to know this. Although I have already been in Oz for 1 yr, I have never gone out of perth

I understand that this question can not be answered in black and white as it totally depends on perception of individuals. Job wise (for IT professional), I reckon sydney and melbourne are more or less same.

However, if somebdy can throw some lights on transportation expense+cost of living, wud be good.
well yes indeed.. but i just want to have an idea of both the cities.. for now i am keeping my options open..lets see..thanks for ur reply

regards
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly more Night life, Restaurants, Cafes and Bars in Melbourne. About 10 pct more according to Citysearch http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/
Melbournes CBD rocks at night time. Sydney's Doesn't.

Jobs should be about equal, could pay slightly higher in Sydney not sure about that.

Beach almost certainly Sydney.

Transport Melbourne... if within the Tram network.

Miscellaneous, definitely more events in Melbourne.

Crime rate about equal. Melbourne supposedly has less Gang Culture, whether thats true or not I dont know.

The Gap hasnt been this narrow since before the Harbour bridge was built.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 14th 2009 at 7:06 am.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is easier to meet people as its not club orientated like Sydney is, they have Clubs for everything which people belong to and use for their entertainment. That is the Leagues Clubs, The Bowls Clubs, The RSL Clubs, different ethnic clubs etc. Melbourne does have clubs but they are different to the Sydney ones.

I think the beaches are fine in and around Melbourne, just have to travel out of the city to find lovely beaches.

I have lived in both places and was young when I lived in Sydney and single and then moved to Melbourne and I prefer Melbourne, cheaper to live and accommodation is not so expensive as Sydney. In Sydney to buy a home you are looking at eight hundred thousand whereas you can buy a good home for about five in a suburb commutable distance to the CBD in Melbourne.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

Agree. Melbourne will rank higher on most grounds except for perhaps beaches and weather. However, I find Sydney to be very scenic, whereas Melbourne looks a bit run-down to me.... but, thats just me. Overall, I guess Melbourne offers a slightly better quality of living.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Cost of housing in Sydney is the biggie especially if you want the beach lifestyle. Otherwise both are good places to live and play with Melbourne having better public transport.

Melbourne winter goes on longer and is colder, Sydney gets more thunderstorms in Summer.

Frankly I could live well in both cities and your choice is probably going to be due to money.

I had an option to move to Melbourne but stayed in Sydney because I am settled here and this is where my contacts are.
Hello to all of you,

Jobs,
Cost of living + food,
low crime rate.
Weather

regards,

naufil
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Rent seems cheaper in Melbourne than Sydney.
Public transport is also cheap offpeak - you can ride around on Melbourne's trains, trams and buses over the weekend for $3 a day.

I think the Sydney landscape is more interesting than Melbourne. Melbourne is very,very flat whereas Sydney is more hilly. Sydney is more iconic than Melbourne as has the Opera house, bridge, the old part and Darling Harbour. Melbourne has recently tidied up its docklands area but despite the docklands being in the CBD it feels people-less and disconnected with the commercial part of the centre. Apart from shops there's not much else there to warrant going there.

Sydney feels faster going than Melbourne. Great to visit but I have to question whether I would want that all the time.

Melbourne has a lot of fun areas outside of the CBD - Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Chapel Street, St Kilda etc. I can't comment what the extra-CBD of Sydney is like.

Melbourne has good street parties and festivals in the summer - have a look at the Brunswick street party and St Kilda festival.

The biggest irritation that I've found with social stuff is that there is quite often the need to drive - which means can't get pissed. Not a fault of Melbourne as I chose to live away from a train station.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:42 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all of you,

Jobs,
Cost of living + food,
low crime rate.
Weather

regards,

naufil
sydney has better weather.

crime rate & transportation expense = very similar in both.

melbourne has slightly cheaper cost of living.

All other bits, melbourne is better. Just my opinion though.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

supriyag123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm...looks like majority think melbourne is better.

I am planning to move to sydney though
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much - both are fantastic cities ! I think that melbourne is slightly better than sydney...but many other people would disagree.

good luck !
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I think its all down to personal taste, melbourne is ok, but it just does nothing for me, and it has always been cold and/or raining when I have been there (which I know it isn't all the time). I love Sydney
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
I think its all down to personal taste, melbourne is ok, but it just does nothing for me, and it has always been cold and/or raining when I have been there (which I know it isn't all the time). I love Sydney
If I had the Dosh, Circa 2 mil fully owned house 300,000k Income+ and didn't owe anything. I reckon I could be very happy doing the Sylvania Waters boat owning thing. Wouldnt give two stuffs about the sterotyping that went with it either. It could actually ease out my other living dream of a penthouse in London.

I wouldnt even have to cop the best on the place.... this would do.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1252989545
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Neither would be my personal choice but have a look through online Oz newspaper articles to gauge which city has the higher crime rate and drive by shooting incidents. Choose the one with the lower crime rate. I already know the answer!

Last edited by looky; Sep 15th 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

No worries mate, Sydney is still the 2nd best among these two cities! You will be fine..... I'm heading that way too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.