Better life??

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

angelpie will become famous soon enoughangelpie will become famous soon enough
Smile Better life??

Hi Guys
Have been reading through all the threads and you sound like a really cool group!

I am having a dilemma and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

My children are 11 – girl, 8 – boy, 3 – girl.
My partner and I recently visited Oz for a kind of fact finding mission. We loved it.

One thing we found it really hard to get info on was wages and work availability.
My partner is an Electrician and I am currently completing my Personal Training qualifications that are also recognised in Oz.

We know that we have enough points to get visas. The thing I worry about is finding work and also the wages. In England my partner earns enough (just!) so that I don’t actually have to work all though I do. Our youngest will hopefully have started school by the time we get there so I will hopefully be able to continue with my personal training. Do people use personal trainers as much as in England?

Also we won’t be able to buy a property mortgage free. So as now we are expecting to have a large mortgage.

Thinking about this with our sensible heads on it doesn’t look that good! We were hoping to move to the Gold Coast – which apparently has really high unemployment rates??? And having seen some programs about people that have emigrated it seems people (non Australians) often really struggle to find work.

Does anyone have any advise or been in a similar position to this? We really want to move but feel that it is a lot of upheaval for the kids if the odds are really against us!

Thank you in advance if anyone does have any good ideas or advise!

Jaime
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better life??

Hi and welcome to the forum

Have you searched on here re Electrician's? I'm pretty sure that your hubby will have to do some retraining before he can work as an Electrician in Australia, this may be a serious issue if money is important

Not sure about high unemployment on the Gold Coast, the whole of SE Queensland seems to be going through a boom with building sites all over the place, plenty of work for tradesman I would have thought

Personally I'm not worried about the financial side of things, we have been poor in the UK (and was happy enough) so not too bothered if we are poor again. Life is more than worrying about money.

It will be an upheaval but if you and your hubby are happy the children will be as well.

Hopefully someone with circumstances nearer to yours will reply soon, there always seems to be someone on here that can answer the questions!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelpie
Hi Guys
Have been reading through all the threads and you sound like a really cool group!

My partner and I recently visited Oz for a kind of fact finding mission. We loved it.

One thing we found it really hard to get info on was wages and work availability.
My partner is an Electrician and I am currently completing my Personal Training qualifications that are also recognised in Oz.

We know that we have enough points to get visas. The thing I worry about is finding work and also the wages. In England my partner earns enough (just!) so that I don’t actually have to work all though I do. Our youngest will hopefully have started school by the time we get there so I will hopefully be able to continue with my personal training. Do people use personal trainers as much as in England?

Also we won’t be able to buy a property mortgage free. So as now we are expecting to have a large mortgage.

Thinking about this with our sensible heads on it doesn’t look that good! We were hoping to move to the Gold Coast – which apparently has really high unemployment rates??? And having seen some programs about people that have emigrated it seems people (non Australians) often really struggle to find work.

Does anyone have any advise or been in a similar position to this? We really want to move but feel that it is a lot of upheaval for the kids if the odds are really against us!

Jaime

Hi

Have a read of this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364487 about Electricians.

I can't really help with whether you should go or not as that is a very personal question only you know the answer to, but my take on it is sometimes you've gotta grab life by the balls and go for it. Life is too short not to take the opportunities it throws at you.
I personally would rather be poor in Oz than here.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Jaime
shed loads of jobs jaime

check out

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...ian&sortmode=1

regards steve
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Better life??

Originally Posted by steve`o
shed loads of jobs jaime

check out

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...ian&sortmode=1

regards steve
So there is! I think i need to stop being practical and just go for it!
Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Better life??

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi

Have a read of this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364487 about Electricians.

I can't really help with whether you should go or not as that is a very personal question only you know the answer to, but my take on it is sometimes you've gotta grab life by the balls and go for it. Life is too short not to take the opportunities it throws at you.
I personally would rather be poor in Oz than here.
True!
Thanks
Jaimex
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi and welcome to the forum

Have you searched on here re Electrician's? I'm pretty sure that your hubby will have to do some retraining before he can work as an Electrician in Australia, this may be a serious issue if money is important

Not sure about high unemployment on the Gold Coast, the whole of SE Queensland seems to be going through a boom with building sites all over the place, plenty of work for tradesman I would have thought

Personally I'm not worried about the financial side of things, we have been poor in the UK (and was happy enough) so not too bothered if we are poor again. Life is more than worrying about money.

It will be an upheaval but if you and your hubby are happy the children will be as well.

Hopefully someone with circumstances nearer to yours will reply soon, there always seems to be someone on here that can answer the questions!
Didn't realise you could search! Thanks for that. Does seem to be a little bit of a delay with the change over period for Electricians! I have emailed loads of gyms etc to find out how much i can earn incase he can't work straight away. Thanks for your help.
Jaime
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't realise you could search! Thanks for that. Does seem to be a little bit of a delay with the change over period for Electricians! I have emailed loads of gyms etc to find out how much i can earn incase he can't work straight away. Thanks for your help.
Jaime

for fitness work try

http://seek.com.au/jobsearch/index.a...562&sortmode=1

regards steve

or do your own search at

seek.com.au
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:08 pm
Julie and keith

jandk will become famous soon enough

hi
we just got back from gold coast and loved it too!
we went to see bank manager over there to discuss mortgages he said it would be fine as long as we were out of our probationary period of new jobs which is about 3 months, we would be taking equity from our property here so we would be able to put down 50% deposit on house there, bank manager was really positive and we worked out the sums on relatively low wages (approx earning £27000 between us) i am hairdresser and my partner is drugs/community worker and we could potentially have no probs with mortgage. it is a massive change but sometimes you have to take a big huge leap of FAITH!!!!
hey if we get there we can be skint together!!!!
julie...x
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jandk
hi
we just got back from gold coast and loved it too!
we went to see bank manager over there to discuss mortgages he said it would be fine as long as we were out of our probationary period of new jobs which is about 3 months, we would be taking equity from our property here so we would be able to put down 50% deposit on house there, bank manager was really positive and we worked out the sums on relatively low wages (approx earning £27000 between us) i am hairdresser and my partner is drugs/community worker and we could potentially have no probs with mortgage. it is a massive change but sometimes you have to take a big huge leap of FAITH!!!!
hey if we get there we can be skint together!!!!
julie...x
Where abouts did you go on thE gOLD cOAST?
I think it is all about just being brave enough to make the first step.
Good luck
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:39 pm
Julie and keith

Hi we stayed with friends up a beautiful mountain bout 10 mins from Robina/mudgerabba we love it its so peaceful and amazed at the wildlife we are just sorting all our paper work out for skills assessment and i think by the time we fill out our visa app we will either need another holiday or have a nevous breakdown!!!!
Take the plunge you only live once!!!
I think kids will adapt far quicker than us adults!!!
julie
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jandk
Hi we stayed with friends up a beautiful mountain bout 10 mins from Robina/mudgerabba we love it its so peaceful and amazed at the wildlife we are just sorting all our paper work out for skills assessment and i think by the time we fill out our visa app we will either need another holiday or have a nevous breakdown!!!!
Take the plunge you only live once!!!
I think kids will adapt far quicker than us adults!!!
julie
We stayed in Southport (near surfers) we visited Robina and really liked it.
How many kids do you have?
What sort of price/properties were you looking at if you don't mind me asking Just trying to work out what we could afford! Didn't think of going into a bank.
I am dreading doing the paperwork and think we might use an agent
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:16 pm
stevenpoole9

Where abouts in Southport did you stay? We were at the Grand Appartments by the small man-made lagoon and the jetty.
As far as qualifying as an electrician goes, I know someone who went to WA then Brisbane, and it took him around 5 - 6 months to get all the neccesary paperwork and permits sorted out.
Then you have to get into the union or nobody will give you a job on a site.
From then on it's not a bad trade, but not as well paid as in the UK.
Saying that life's not all about money and the weather, beach, parks etc are all free.
Don't expect to get work straight away either, make sure you can survive for 6 months or so without a job, that way you won't be too dissapointed when it happens. Be prepared to face the culture change you never expected, and most importantly, Australia is NOT England in the sun.
Most of all don't worry.
The way I look at it is, I would rather regret something that I did, then Regret not doing something I should have done.

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:17 pm
Julie and keith

We stayed in Southport (near surfers) we visited Robina and really liked it.
How many kids do you have?
What sort of price/properties were you looking at if you don't mind me asking Just trying to work out what we could afford! Didn't think of going into a bank.
I am dreading doing the paperwork and think we might use an agent
Have pm you with more info. i think if your application is straight forward you dont need agent thats what i have read!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Where abouts in Southport did you stay? We were at the Grand Appartments by the small man-made lagoon and the jetty.
As far as qualifying as an electrician goes, I know someone who went to WA then Brisbane, and it took him around 5 - 6 months to get all the neccesary paperwork and permits sorted out.
Then you have to get into the union or nobody will give you a job on a site.
From then on it's not a bad trade, but not as well paid as in the UK.
Saying that life's not all about money and the weather, beach, parks etc are all free.
Don't expect to get work straight away either, make sure you can survive for 6 months or so without a job, that way you won't be too dissapointed when it happens. Be prepared to face the culture change you never expected, and most importantly, Australia is NOT England in the sun.
Most of all don't worry.
The way I look at it is, I would rather regret something that I did, then Regret not doing something I should have done.
We stayed at Crystal Bay Apartments , Marine Parade.
Did you stay at the Grand Hotel?
:scared: I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do when i'm sensible i think just get on with it here in England but then i panic and think I don't want to regret not doing it when we have the chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.