Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

better future??- thinking about the children.

better future??- thinking about the children.

Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: better future??- thinking about the children.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
With a family that size you want to be as sure as you can, take a research trip, see it for yourself, not a spin round the tourist attractions in spring, a solid fact finding trip around schools, workplaces, wages, cost of living, do the trip in say mid summer, see if you can handle it. Gather facts on the day to day. Get out at rush hour, get out on friday night where the hoons hang, that sort of thing, you can barbeque and beach later when you live here.

Ignore the spin in the UK newspapers, start to read the australian newspapers, dont read the daily mails milk and honey stories, read the australians debates on education, health, workplace reform, political issues related to us living in the asian region.

Jobs, no child kid in australia is guaranteed a job, no more so than in the UK, many aussie professionals pack up and go overseas, with workplace reform that will only increase. Many posts will tell you some adults have found difficulty with finding work let alone their kids. Understand the paperwork required for just about everything.

Dont kid yourself on health and education funding either, or drugs or crime, understand much is the same.

Understand the emotional risk, 6 people, this might sound harsh but do you expect all of you will love it, ouch! but only saying it as that is the case with so many families, often with older kids you start something where one or more wont settle or will go back.

Family in UK, close to them or not? If close will your aussie budget allow for trips back, check the cost before answering that.

And finally dont do it to escape immigrants, 19.5 million of australias 21 million population are immigrants or from immigrant stock.

Turn the 'idea' into a well reasearched 'big' picture where you know the ups and the downs, if you still want to emigrate, you have a much better chance of being one of the ones who in 5 years time will still be here.
Good post...know what you're saying.....but (and it's a JLo) (big butt)

- we could all be dead tomorrow !!!!

if you fancy trying to emigrate - give it a shot

if it doesn't work out - you go back

if you love it - you stay

but if you don't try - you'll always wonder - what if?

Life's short - enjoy
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Good post...know what you're saying.....but (and it's a JLo) (big butt)

- we could all be dead tomorrow !!!!

if you fancy trying to emigrate - give it a shot

if it doesn't work out - you go back

if you love it - you stay

but if you don't try - you'll always wonder - what if?

Life's short - enjoy

If you don't mind my saying so, your advice sounds somewhat irresponsible to me, given that the OP has teenage children whose lives would be severely disrupted by such a ping-pong move.

Your attitude is fine for people without children, grown-up children, or even very young children, but with older children, emigrating becomes infinitely more complicated.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

With a family that size you want to be as sure as you can, take a research trip, see it for yourself, not a spin round the tourist attractions in spring, a solid fact finding trip around schools, workplaces, wages, cost of living, do the trip in say mid summer, see if you can handle it. Gather facts on the day to day. Get out at rush hour, get out on friday night where the hoons hang, that sort of thing, you can barbeque and beach later when you live here.

Ignore the spin in the UK newspapers, start to read the australian newspapers, dont read the daily mails milk and honey stories, read the australians debates on education, health, workplace reform, political issues related to us living in the asian region.

Jobs, no child kid in australia is guaranteed a job, no more so than in the UK, many aussie professionals pack up and go overseas, with workplace reform that will only increase. Many posts will tell you some adults have found difficulty with finding work let alone their kids. Understand the paperwork required for just about everything.

Dont kid yourself on health and education funding either, or drugs or crime, understand much is the same.

Understand the emotional risk, 6 people, this might sound harsh but do you expect all of you will love it, ouch! but only saying it as that is the case with so many families, often with older kids you start something where one or more wont settle or will go back.

Family in UK, close to them or not? If close will your aussie budget allow for trips back, check the cost before answering that.

And finally dont do it to escape immigrants, 19.5 million of australias 21 million population are immigrants or from immigrant stock.

Turn the 'idea' into a well reasearched 'big' picture where you know the ups and the downs, if you still want to emigrate, you have a much better chance of being one of the ones who in 5 years time will still be here.
This reply should be made required reading for anyone thinking of coming to Oz.

The line about a better future for children is trotted out on a regular basis, and as someone said earlier , the truth is often parents move thinking it will be like one big holiday. I am not convinced that my daughter will have a better life in Oz than the UK, just a different one. The one thing that will make a difference to my daughter's life wherever we live will be how we raise her. There are problems that are universal ie crime, drugs, bullying, finding decent schools etc and it is our job as parents to equip our children to deal with or avoid problems and to provide as safe an environment as possible. These things are not necessarily solved simply by moving country.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
If you don't mind my saying so, your advice sounds somewhat irresponsible to me, given that the OP has teenage children whose lives would be severely disrupted by such a ping-pong move.

Your attitude is fine for people without children, grown-up children, or even very young children, but with older children, emigrating becomes infinitely more complicated.
People have different views on how to live their life.

That's just my opinion - call me irresponsible if you like
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:12 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think that they have the same chance of getting a decent job in England as they do in Oz. Swap the Polish immigrants for Asian and your in the same boat. All the same problems that the kids face growing up in England are replicated in Oz - drink, drugs and gangs etc are all here and every day news.

But do you want to be in Oz 10 years down the line thinking I wish I never came? the decision is all yours.

Originally Posted by flump
Hi everyone,

We are in the shall we or shan't we mode at the moment, We have 4 children the eldest being 15 and the youngest being 6, one of the main reasons for us considering the move to Oz is that we want the children to have a brighter, better future, the way things are going in this country at the moment it seems like there will be nothing for them, (even the local pie facory is employing polish!!) I am pretty confident that they will do well throughout school but i'm thinking 5/10/15 yrs down the road when they will be starting there adult life and having so much competition. I know that all sounds a bit waffled and i'm very confused about it all. And as we have never been to Oz, how they hell do I know that it offers a better future, it would be stepping in to the unknown. Your thoughts and advice(good or bad) would be much appreciated. I don't want to be here in 10yrs time thinking wot if.....

Thanks everyone for reading my waffle.
Claire
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

A STORY TO LIVE BY
by Ann Wells of the Los Angeles Times

My brother-in-law opened the bottom drawer of my sister's bureau and lifted out
a tissue wrapped package.

"This is lingerie." He discarded the tissue and handed me the slip.

It was exquisite; silk, hand made and trimmed with a cobweb of lace. The price
tag with an astronomical figure on it was still attached.

"Jan bought this the first time we went to New York, at least 8 or 9 years ago.
She never wore it. She was saving it for a special occasion. Well, I guess this
is the occasion.

He took the slip from me and put it on the bed with the other clothes we were
taking to the mortician. His hands lingered on the soft material for a moment,
then he slammed the drawer shut and turned to me.

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a
special occasion."

I remembered those words through the funeral and the days that followed when
I helped him and my niece attend to all the sad chores that follow an unexpected
death. I thought about them on the plane returning to California from the
Midwestern town where my sister's family live. I thought about all the things
that she hadn't seen or heard or done. I thought about the things she had done
without realising they were special.

I'm still thinking about his words, and they've changed my life. I'm reading more
and doing less. I'm sitting on the deck and admiring the view without worrying
about the weeds in the garden. I'm spending more time with my family and friends
and less time at committee meetings. Whenever possible, life should be a pattern
of experience to savour, not endure. I'm trying to recognise these moments now
and cherish them.

I'm not 'saving' anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special
event - such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, the first camellia
blossom. I wear my good blazer to the market if I feel like it. My theory is if
I look prosperous, I can shell out $29.49 for one small bag of groceries without
wincing. I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties; clerks in hardware
stores and tellers in banks have noses that function as well as my party-going
friends.

"Some day" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my vocabulary.
If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.
I'm not sure what my sister would have done had she known she wouldn't be
here for the tomorrow we all take for granted. I think she would have called
family members and a few close friends. She might have called a few former
friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think she
would have gone out for a Chinese dinner, her favorite food. I'm guessing -
I'll never know.

It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours
were limited. Angry because I put off seeing good friends whom I was going to
get in touch with some day. Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that
I intended to write one of these days. Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my
husband and daughter often enough how much I truly love them. I'm trying
very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter
and lustre to our lives.

And every morning when I open my eyes, I tell myself that it is special.
Every day, every minute, every breath truly is . . . a gift from God."

Message: EVERY DAY IS A GIFT. THAT IS WHY THEY CALL IT THE PRESENT
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Please don't attack me - only giving my views. Hope you like the above story.

Now i'm off...to have "fun" with my 3 children

Have a great day everyone

L-j xx
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Please don't attack me - only giving my views. Hope you like the above story.

Now i'm off...to have "fun" with my 3 children

Have a great day everyone

L-j xx

I am not attacking you, just pointing out that advising someone with nearly grown children : "If you fancy trying to emigrate - give it a shot - if it doesn't work out - you go back" is rather flippant.

Because it simply is not that easy. I am speaking from experience, and have observed plenty of people facing similar difficulties, with families ending up split by oceans.

All I am saying is that this needs to be considered and carefully thought out.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

I am not attacking you, just pointing out that advising someone with nearly grown children : "If you fancy trying to emigrate - give it a shot - if it doesn't work out - you go back" is rather flippant.

Because it simply is not that easy. I am speaking from experience, and have observed plenty of people facing similar difficulties, with families ending up split by oceans.

That can happen if people choose not to emigrate. When their children are old enough - they can choose to live wherever they want anyway.

Anyway - when the OP awakes in the morning - we've given her 2 differing opinions. That's what she wanted - good and bad - the choice is now hers. I think we've done well !!
Probably get an A+ if we were doing a debate in school !
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

If you emmigrate with children (especially older children) you have to do it knowing that they may well just up and move back as soon as they can. That said they may well emmigrate on their own if you don't move as the world is so much smaller these days. When we moved here our then 16 year old said from the start that he didn't want to be here and will leave as soon as he can. The truth is that he will probably still leave as soon as he can and he is having a really tough time here (although you wouldn't know it from his social life ). It is easy to say that you are prepared for that to happen but when it does it is a completely different thing and there is no knowing how it will affect you.
I would say that my children have a more full life here and enjoy everything that Australia has to offer. From our point of view we have made the right decision even though I know that there is a very strong chance that one or more of our 4 children will move away from Australia in the future.
If that happens then we know that we are happy with our decision as we have not come here 'just for the children'. Whether we stay for ever depends on what the future brings but we came here with the view that it is a permanent move. As for the children, as a parent I want to give my children the experiences and confidence to take life and enjoy it and the downside of that is as better travelled people they will not have the worries about travelling themselves later in life so we may see less of them.
Sorry if I have gone on. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
Hi everyone,

We are in the shall we or shan't we mode at the moment, We have 4 children the eldest being 15 and the youngest being 6, one of the main reasons for us considering the move to Oz is that we want the children to have a brighter, better future, the way things are going in this country at the moment it seems like there will be nothing for them, (even the local pie facory is employing polish!!) I am pretty confident that they will do well throughout school but i'm thinking 5/10/15 yrs down the road when they will be starting there adult life and having so much competition. I know that all sounds a bit waffled and i'm very confused about it all. And as we have never been to Oz, how they hell do I know that it offers a better future, it would be stepping in to the unknown. Your thoughts and advice(good or bad) would be much appreciated. I don't want to be here in 10yrs time thinking wot if.....

Thanks everyone for reading my waffle.
Claire
The future for both couintries is unknown (and unknowable). We came out to Australia so that our children could have the option of both countries.

Very glad we came out here. Still have worries but that overall aim of giving them both countries remains.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NickyP
If you emmigrate with children (especially older children) you have to do it knowing that they may well just up and move back as soon as they can. That said they may well emmigrate on their own if you don't move as the world is so much smaller these days. When we moved here our then 16 year old said from the start that he didn't want to be here and will leave as soon as he can. The truth is that he will probably still leave as soon as he can and he is having a really tough time here (although you wouldn't know it from his social life ). It is easy to say that you are prepared for that to happen but when it does it is a completely different thing and there is no knowing how it will affect you.
I would say that my children have a more full life here and enjoy everything that Australia has to offer. From our point of view we have made the right decision even though I know that there is a very strong chance that one or more of our 4 children will move away from Australia in the future.
If that happens then we know that we are happy with our decision as we have not come here 'just for the children'. Whether we stay for ever depends on what the future brings but we came here with the view that it is a permanent move. As for the children, as a parent I want to give my children the experiences and confidence to take life and enjoy it and the downside of that is as better travelled people they will not have the worries about travelling themselves later in life so we may see less of them.
Sorry if I have gone on. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Nicky
Hi there, sorry to hear your son is having a hard time here - i don't know how long you have been here, but we cam out two years ago and my son was 14, two sons were 11 and one daughter of 8. My 14 yr old had visited Oz the year before and loved it but by the time we actually emigrated was really settled and happy at school in UK. therefore he had problems integrating into the aussie way of life and kept on saying he'll go back as soon as he is old enough. He was always talking to friends in uk on msn and he had a few probs at school. the twins hated but my daughter loved it - my point is two years on, my now 16 yr old is a true aussie, even to the point of wearing his short socks pulled up to his long shorts!! Aargh! He loves it here now, has loads of friends and speaks with a true aussie accents. The twins still say they would go back, but doubt if they actually would and my daughter still loves it! Everything takes time and two years i think is the minimum for feeling like this might be home. I no longer crave all the uk foods and shops, but then again, don't know if i will stay here forever.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

I do think people know that it needs to be carefully thought out. as we all know its not easy for any one with kids or not. as we all have other family still living back in the uk also. but hay if you want it GO FOR IT
all the best
Dave
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

nobody can know what the future holds for our chldren whichever country they are in, but i can honestly say that my kids are happier here than they were before we came here, ok so kids are happy wherever so long as homeis a happy place, but what i mean is they have more freedom, more sport and just more fun, or seem to anyway. I do know that if you asked either of them where they'd rather be you would get a resounding "here".

They will leave school or further education, educated to the same standard as the other kids in the state and to the best of their ability, will that be as good as if they had been in the UK? who knows and for them it doesn't really matter as they will be starting their adult life as Australians.

If i was in the OPs shoes i'd not be worrying if i was giving my kids a better futrure but if i was giving them a better present, are they going to be at their happiest if you make this move or if you stay put, but don't forget yourselves in all this, you too have to be happy with your decision or nobody will. It's a hard decision to make and not one i'd want to go into without some experience of what i was letting myself in for.

Lynn
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that, you talk lots of sense. My hubby and i would plan a trip to Oz, as much as i'd hate to, we would leave the children here and as you said it would be, research, research, research, i wouldn't expect to go on holiday and decide whether or not its the right decision to move there. And as you said with 4 children to think about the decision is not to be taken light heartedly. We have both been researching things and will continue to do so for now.
Thanks for your advice, its very much appreciated.
Claire
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.