Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Best and the worst things about perth

The Best and the worst things about perth

Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Default The Best and the worst things about perth

Still here in the Uk !!!!

Can't sell the house and still waiting for Visa !!!! (which seems like a life time)

So while I wait , can you post your favourite things and the wrost things about Perth & the rest of WA.

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Best and the worst things about perth

Hi.

I am not there yet (August 08) but have been there twice although not really qualified on the subject.

Here goes anyway as tonight is like a winters night.

I found the best bits: weather, seemed relaxed, the beaches, very clean, shops seem to open less which makes way for leisure time / family life (e.g some of the big shops will shut on Sunday which IMO has eroded some of family life in the U.K).

Worse bits: very quiet at night (yes there is the city but I found Perth quiet in general),lack of competition/choice regarding the shops, some of the spiders & wildlife for some people.

Only a light bit of fun really and nothing to moan about just my take on it, sure there may be more but I cannot think of any at the moment, great place IMO.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:26 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

little creatures! tooheys platinum. northbridge kebabs. the train service.the weather. sunday sessions. foxtel.must wine bar.halo restaurant.jacksons restaurant. cottesloe beach. margaret river(perth ish). fremantle market. no queues in pubs at 8pm saturday night(mostly).

I wont list the things i dont like..............
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1

Can't sell the house and still waiting for Visa !!!! (which seems like a life time)

So while I wait , can you post your favourite things and the wrost things about Perth & the rest of WA.

Thanks
Try a search on Perth on here. Volumes have been written about both it's highs and lows.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing is how many outdoorsy things you can do within minutes of home - camping, boating, fishing, off-roading...

The worst thing is always having to defend it from people who have not been here recently and seen how much it has developed or who think because there aren't 6 pubs within a 5 minute walk of home it is boring...
Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
The best thing is how many outdoorsy things you can do within minutes of home - camping, boating, fishing, off-roading...

The worst thing is always having to defend it from people who have not been here recently and seen how much it has developed or who think because there aren't 6 pubs within a 5 minute walk of home it is boring...
Quite
Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel

Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunbather
Its bloody great here................as long as you do not compare it with 'back home!!!!'
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Its bloody great here................as long as you do not compare it with 'back home!!!!'
I've never referred to the UK as 'home' since we arrived. I felt it would help to adjust if we just considered Australia home. And it is
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:03 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bev1

Thanks
Only been here six months and loving the peace and quiet. Wildlife on the doorstep and empty beaches. National parks everywhere, friendly people everywhere and can't remember the last time i sat in a traffic jam. You just have to accept WA works at it's own pace. Relaxed!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

Thanks All

I'll do a search on Perth and see what everyone else says.

i know there are lows but i dont spend too much time looking at them

Can't wait to get there

Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

slingshot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on what you are leaving behind, I would say -

Good Bits - Weather, Less Traffic, Beaches, Lots of jobs.

Bad Bits - Drivers are terrible (Far too many road deaths etc), House Prices are Very Expensive, Graffiti Everywhere, Quite Boring, Dogs that bark 24 hours a day and we find it an expensive place to live as wages are less.

Like I said it all depends what you are looking for and what you have come from, all just my opinion though.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Bad bits:

The sellotape is crap, the taxi service is somewhere between shite and non-existent ( we called for a Swan cab last night and are still waiting ....), graffiti and broken glass abound in some places, not much choice when it comes to supermarkets so if having a choice of 6 or 7 different supermarkets is your life don't come here.

Good bits:

I could go on for ever, but to give you a taster - the sun shines almost every day, it is a lot warmer/hotter than the UK, it has loads of fabulous beaches, it feels a lot safer than the UK ( well, than Manchester anyway ), it feels roomy, the roads are nice, the houses are nice, there are loads of small parks in every suburb with playground equipment that hasn't been vandalised, there are loads of good places to eat out at reasonable prices, we find people to be generally friendly, there is loads to do for everyone, especially for the kids, steak is plentiful and cheap ( great for the barbie ), they do great meat rissoles which are also great for the barbie, you can plan a barbie without worrying too much what the weather will be like ( except this week as it's rained a lot ), Perth city centre is nice and clean and laid-back and is about 100 metres from the waterfront, the trains are clean and reliable. I could go on.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well im here just now after not being here for 18 years so here gos.

Best bits.
Weather, public transport, eating out variety, beaches, weather, locals in the general very nice and friendly, laid back way of life, diversness, mobile phone costs...

worst bits,
£ 2.50 for a small bottle of water, £ 5 for a pint in the city, grafiitti everywhere, Aussi wine that costs twice as much as the uk even though they make it on the doorstep,
total retards, drop kicks and winos rife in city center malls , crap wages, cost of living, absurd prices for total shite 2nd hand cars, new prices for shite jap cars, mental prices for houses that are going to crash ala uk style very soon ....

There you go, sure to raise a few replies im sure.......
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Originally Posted by this charming man
little creatures! tooheys platinum. northbridge kebabs. the train service.the weather. sunday sessions. foxtel.must wine bar.halo restaurant.jacksons restaurant. cottesloe beach. margaret river(perth ish). fremantle market. no queues in pubs at 8pm saturday night(mostly).

I wont list the things i dont like..............
I worked Must Wine Bar for 6 months and then patronised it a bit after. Great wine, awesome food. Champagne room rocks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.