Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Best and the worst things about perth

The Best and the worst things about perth

Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:00 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Best and the worst things about perth

If i offended you in those 6 months i apologise. It was the beer at the Brizzy before i got to Must!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:57 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slingshot69
Bad Bits - ... Dogs that bark 24 hours a day...
Don't dogs bark in other parts of the world (In the UK we had one two doors away which barked all the time)
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Don't dogs bark in other parts of the world (In the UK we had one two doors away which barked all the time)
We don't have barking dogs where we live either. Crapping on my lawn dogs, wish they would bark because then I could go out and murder their owners
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:25 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I love Perth... the thing that pisses me of about the place is crappy take away and shitty restaurants, good ones are few and far between...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
I love Perth... the thing that pisses me of about the place is crappy take away and shitty restaurants, good ones are few and far between...
Yes and no. There are some fantastic restaurants in Perth but when you head north (don't know about south) they are far less common. MBH is great and there are several good ones at Hillarys. There are a couple of decent ones in Joondalup. Clarkson / Mindarie seems to suffer with UK-style reheated rubbish but even there Masala is okay for an Indian buffet and the Indian Ocean does nice food on a good day.

Take-aways is a bit mixed though. Generally the decor leaves a lot to be desired. Our favourite is Kabalason in Joondalup - if you didn't have it as a recommendation you wouldn't think of going in there but the food is fantastic. A lot of places seem to do plastic table cloths and generally skimp on atmosphere but do great food. Finding "English-style" F&C is hard (great fish, lousy chips) and the same goes for Indian (Aussies are wusses and like little hotter than gravy) and Chinese seems to be extremely stodgy. Thai is a good option.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Billy Lee's offers half decent Chinese in Chinatown. And I do miss the Red Rooster chips, though not necessarily anything else on the menu...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Originally Posted by this charming man
If i offended you in those 6 months i apologise. It was the beer at the Brizzy before i got to Must!
It was the easiest money I ever earned in security in the country. Just had to make sure there was no more than 6 drinks outside and turn away the odd pisshead. Not a patch on anywhere else I worked! Although occasionally I was up for punishment and went to the Deen after closing for a couple of hours...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

One of the dogs on our street was left home alone (in the front courtyard) for 9 days while the owners went on holiday. The mother-in-law came once a day to feed it. I have NEVER seen it taken out for a walk and it is the most beautiful Golden Retriever I have ever seen - it is so sad. Our next door neighbours, who are lovely people, keep their dog outside all the time and it spends the time looking in the window hoping for the kids to come out and play.

Good bits about Perth:

* the clubs/activities for kids - the possibilities are endless and I love the holiday programs. We never had anything so organised in the UK
* the cycle/walking tracks
* access to concerts - In the UK had to travel at least 3 hours
* alfresco eating
* outdoor cinema
* having a swimming pool in the back garden
* loads of play parks in each suburb

Not so good bits about Perth:

* paying over $1100 a week for a crap house in a nice area - wish I knew that when we rented it
* crap landlord and useless agent - again wish I knew that at the time
* 'character' house that is colder than any student flat I have ever lived in - YES THAT COLD!
* poor customer service/returns policy on electric goods (heaters!!!) - just my experience
* remoteness from other countries (although Bali is only 3.5 hours away)

Galba
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
* paying over $1100 a week for a crap house in a nice area - wish I knew that when we rented it
How much!!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunbather
How much!!!!!!
...and it'll be getting put up by 5%-10% in July (around $100)!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:23 am
Just Joined

slingshot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but what a lot of people believe over here is dog's are great protection against burglaries, so they just leave the dogs out in the back 24 hours a day, most of the time a lot do not even get taken out for walks.

I am sure most people will know what I mean, I have lived in a few areas and it's the same.

Also got to agree on the take away's etc, total crap
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes but what a lot of people believe over here is dog's are great protection against burglaries, so they just leave the dogs out in the back 24 hours a day, most of the time a lot do not even get taken out for walks.

I am sure most people will know what I mean, I have lived in a few areas and it's the same.

Also got to agree on the take away's etc, total crap
A golden retriever as a guard dog!!! It's more likely to lick the boots of a burglar rather than scare them away!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:41 am
A former regular of BE

Yes, that does happen in Australia, which I do not agree, with but I don't think it is unique to Perth.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:22 am
Just Joined

slingshot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that does happen in Australia, which I do not agree, with but I don't think it is unique to Perth.
I agree it's probably not just in Perth.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

So much to say but i won't, i'm being good today

But...good bit for me, big Chicken Breasts
Bad bit for me, not found any decent restaurants yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.