Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Mention Your Visa On Oz Cv?

Best Way To Mention Your Visa On Oz Cv?

Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:21 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Best Way To Mention Your Visa On Oz Cv?

Hi there,

My aussie girlfriend and I are leaving for Melbourne on the 23rd February (I am travelling on a De Facto Spouse visa) and I am busy registering with Australian employment sites. I have updated my CV and wondering the best way to mention the visa on the CV. At the moment I have put "Provisional permanent resident (de-facto Spouse Visa)" right at the top below the address details. Do you think this is the best sounding wording, I want to make it clear that I am there for good and don't want to be mistaken for a working holiday backpacker (I had trouble getting the decent jobs when I was one in 2000!).

Cheers,
JON
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:00 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best Way To Mention Your Visa On Oz Cv?

Hi

Just a short comment, the word provisional doesn't sound quite right could that be changed? Anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge of partner visas might think it was temporary.
Just a thought, hard though to know the right thing to put!!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

My aussie girlfriend and I are leaving for Melbourne on the 23rd February (I am travelling on a De Facto Spouse visa) and I am busy registering with Australian employment sites. I have updated my CV and wondering the best way to mention the visa on the CV. At the moment I have put "Provisional permanent resident (de-facto Spouse Visa)" right at the top below the address details. Do you think this is the best sounding wording, I want to make it clear that I am there for good and don't want to be mistaken for a working holiday backpacker (I had trouble getting the decent jobs when I was one in 2000!).

Cheers,
JON
"Permanent Resident Spouse Visa applied for" ?

Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:12 am
G&J
Forum Regular

G&J is an unknown quantity at this point

Permanent res visa granted & Date
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:18 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by G&J
Permanent res visa granted & Date
Yes, permanent resident, legally entitled to work in Australia I would put.

Funny, years ago when I went to Canada I was a "landed immigrant" this gave way to a more politically correct "permanent resident"

good luck
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:18 am
Merlot

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
"Permanent Resident Spouse Visa applied for" ?
I think by memory I put

"Visa - Sub Class 820, no employment restrictions"

Or words to that effect. Techincally the passport said nothing about working restrictions but mentioned to the residence application bit.

If they like you they will check you out, the trick is to get the interview I suppose.

I like ABCDiamonds.

Merlot

Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I would just put "Australian Permanent Resident" you can always elaborate at the interview if asked

You are not going to get sacked if they find out that it is actually "provisional".
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:29 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, I have already changed my cv accordingly! Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:39 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Yes, permanent resident, legally entitled to work in Australia I would put.

good luck
Yes, that sounds like the best one - makes it clear to employers, many of whom are bears of little brain & have no idea what all this technical visa terminology actually *means*. I went nuts once in the UK, trying to figure out what candidates actually meant by Visa Subclass XYZ4242 or whatever- all meaningless codes to me. I needed legal right to work in UK to interview them, then got the ones I wanted to progress checked out.

Good luck with the job-hunting - see ya in Melbourne!!

Anya.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The words they want to see are "permanent" so they know you're here to stay, and "permission to work" or "no work restrictions" Put your visa class number too, then its easy for them to ring DIMIA and check that your particular visa has no work restriction.