British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Best way to fly from Ireland to Adelaide? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-way-fly-ireland-adelaide-532369/)

Shanaghy Apr 26th 2008 6:25 pm

Best way to fly from Ireland to Adelaide?

Hi all
Just want to know if any of you have ideas on the best route to adelaide from ireland we have 3 small children to consider.
Tom:)

Baby75 Apr 26th 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Best way to fly from Ireland to Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Shanaghy (Post 6269361)
Hi all
Just want to know if any of you have ideas on the best route to adelaide from ireland we have 3 small children to consider.

Hello we are traveling to Brisbane with 3 small children as soon as we book tickets next week
so interested to see what other recommend :thumbsup:

ozzieclare2b Apr 26th 2008 10:25 pm

singapore airlines flies direct from manchester to singapore then to adelaide. We have a 12 hour gap between our flight into singapore and flying out to adelaide so have booked the airport transfer hotel quite resonable around £35 per 6 hour slot hope this helps :thumbup: (i think manchester is 1 hour flight from dublin)

Normal for Norfolk Apr 26th 2008 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shanaghy (Post 6269361)
Hi all

Ferry to Fishguard then train to London. Hop on the tube to Victoria where you can pick up a new bus service London to Sydney (yes, this does exist). Then save a bit of time and catch an internal flight. What an experience! The kids will love it. Seriously, we have visited a few times and tend to favour via Schipol Amsterdam and connect Kuala Lumpor. Schipol is a great airport and for us a lot less hassle than a UK airport.

Mairead Apr 27th 2008 7:23 am

Just wondering if anyone had any problems with Aerlingus regarding the extra baggage allowance from Ireland to the UK? I can see aerlingus trying to charge us a bomb for our extra baggage.

Lettik Apr 28th 2008 8:38 am

Shanaghy: when are you going to Adelaide? where you settling? etc....I'm nervous bout the move!! Got a teenage daughter to consider also. We are probably going later this year. A bit confused as to where "good" areas to live are, what schools, etc.

Also looking for best route from Ireland to Adelaide...

bcworld Apr 28th 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6269690)
Hello we are traveling to Brisbane with 3 small children as soon as we book tickets next week
so interested to see what other recommend :thumbsup:

For Dublin to Brisbane I'd say Etihad Airways as you won't have to transit in London. They fly from DUB to BNE via Abu Dhabi then Singapore.

Baby75 Apr 28th 2008 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6275821)
For Dublin to Brisbane I'd say Etihad Airways as you won't have to transit in London. They fly from DUB to BNE via Abu Dhabi then Singapore.

Thanks ill check that out :thumbsup:

Shanaghy Apr 28th 2008 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Lettik (Post 6275755)
Shanaghy: when are you going to Adelaide? where you settling? etc....I'm nervous bout the move!! Got a teenage daughter to consider also. We are probably going later this year. A bit confused as to where "good" areas to live are, what schools, etc.

Also looking for best route from Ireland to Adelaide...

Hi Lettik
We hope to be moving around october if house is sold ,plan to settle at the moment south of the city or in adelaide hills.How far are you into the process
,i think it is only natural to be nervous its the biggest decision you'll probably have to make in your life,our kids are aged 12,8,and 2 all boys.We haven't decided exactly which suburb not sure either about schools yet.
Tom and Nikki:)

Lettik Apr 28th 2008 1:40 pm

Hi Tom & Nikki: we probably will move around November.House is sold. I'm sure it'll be fine when we geet there.Can do without working for a while.But both of us are in our early 40's so a bit of a concern!!! mind you, you always need social workers (himself) and fitness instructors/masage therapists (myself) so fingers crossed.......

Daughter is 14 going to go into 2nd year in September. School system is end of January to December I believe.

We've been looking at south suburbs also.But will rent somewhere initially and check out wheres good I guess.

Rosscarbery Apr 29th 2008 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 6270847)
Just wondering if anyone had any problems with Aerlingus regarding the extra baggage allowance from Ireland to the UK? I can see aerlingus trying to charge us a bomb for our extra baggage.

I think this has caused problems for people before. You will only get the extra allowance if you are ticketed all the way through - I know you can fly "Dublin - Aus" with Singapore - obviously the Ire-UK leg is with somebody else but because you have a SI ticket you will get the extra (though I'd get it in writing if I were you!). If you book Ire-UK independently you certainly won't be entitled to a 40kg luggage allowance.

To the OP - with three kids, anything that avoids Heathrow is worth doing, seriously!

Kat71 Apr 29th 2008 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 6280999)
I think this has caused problems for people before. You will only get the extra allowance if you are ticketed all the way through - I know you can fly "Dublin - Aus" with Singapore - obviously the Ire-UK leg is with somebody else but because you have a SI ticket you will get the extra (though I'd get it in writing if I were you!). If you book Ire-UK independently you certainly won't be entitled to a 40kg luggage allowance.

To the OP - with three kids, anything that avoids Heathrow is worth doing, seriously!

I think but I could be wrong but Emirates had a flight that connected with Air Lingus some time ago.

bcworld Apr 29th 2008 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Kat71 (Post 6281128)
I think but I could be wrong but Emirates had a flight that connected with Air Lingus some time ago.

Emirates has 8 flights a day from London to Dubai so I'm sure there would be several decent connections with Aer Lingus. There's also the Manchester & Glasgow options on Emirates which would probably be much more painless for transfers if the timing was right.

Mairead Apr 29th 2008 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 6280999)

Thanks for the info on that. Looks like our only option will be Singapore as we are in Cork and I really don't fancy the drive from Cork to Dublin!!!!

knockoff nige Apr 29th 2008 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 6281240)
and I really don't fancy the drive from Cork to Dublin!!!!

What, sure you can do that in 45 minutes now. Not legally but its not like you'll be concerned about the points lol