Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:01 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Hello Folks,
Sorry for pinging again and again for this issue.
Lot of confusion on how to carry money to Oz on emigrating...
I read:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl....au%26rnum%3D1

got even more confused..since I was planning to bring some 500$'s in cash and some large amount in TC's to SOS while emigrating...
Any help or tip will be useful..
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:07 am

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hello Folks,
Sorry for pinging again and again for this issue.
Lot of confusion on how to carry money to Oz on emigrating...
I read:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl....au%26rnum%3D1

got even more confused..since I was planning to bring some 500$'s in cash and some large amount in TC's to SOS while emigrating...
Any help or tip will be useful..
Look what the Govt of Australia has to say about money:
http://www.ausgovindia.com/education/predeparture1.htm.
Though its for students but dont you think its right data for carrying TCs...???
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Look what the Govt of Australia has to say about money:
http://www.ausgovindia.com/education/predeparture1.htm.
Though its for students but dont you think its right data for carrying TCs...???
It sounds right, I don't think you need to bring 1000s in cash or Travellers cheques as long as you've got a cash card and a bank account accessible through australian ATMs.

For a british bank account I was getting hit with a 2.50 pounds charge every time I took money out at a cash machine in Oz, so I'd take out the max (I guess $1,500) each time. Assuming you set up an Oz account within the first few days, and then do an electronic transfer of your funds from your Indian account to your new Oz account, why would you want to bring in more than $1000?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:41 am

Smile Re: Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It sounds right, I don't think you need to bring 1000s in cash or Travellers cheques as long as you've got a cash card and a bank account accessible through australian ATMs.

For a british bank account I was getting hit with a 2.50 pounds charge every time I took money out at a cash machine in Oz, so I'd take out the max (I guess $1,500) each time. Assuming you set up an Oz account within the first few days, and then do an electronic transfer of your funds from your Indian account to your new Oz account, why would you want to bring in more than $1000?

Cheers,
JTL
But TC's seems handy since I have used extensively on my different trips to US.
You are right JTL, Electronic Transfer can be the right option to choose then.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think TC's are much more widely accepted in the US than in Australia. Thats my experience anyway.

Have some cash for small things, use a credit card or EFTPOS for most of it is my suggestion.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:03 am

Smile Re: Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think TC's are much more widely accepted in the US than in Australia. Thats my experience anyway.

Have some cash for small things, use a credit card or EFTPOS for most of it is my suggestion.
Thanks MrsDagboy that was short and to the point.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:13 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MrsDagboy that was short and to the point.
A woman of few words - I have to be otherwise I wouldnt get a word in with Dagboy around .
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:20 am

A woman of few words - I have to be otherwise I wouldnt get a word in with Dagboy around .
Is it different....?
I see (dont know in films though) that usually Men are you few words..
you are an exception...
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Is it different....?
I see (dont know in films though) that usually Men are you few words..
you are an exception...

Well Dagboy always says that Im special .
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:55 am

Cool Re: Best way to carry Money to Oz...:(

Well Dagboy always says that Im special .
He knows how to impress ladies...
hey caution..

You are lucky hey... He loves you much...