Reload this Page >

Best time to book xmas flights to the UK

Best time to book xmas flights to the UK

Old May 16th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

sarahburns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best time to book xmas flights to the UK

hey there,
just wondering if anyone has any experience with xmas flights to the uk? can leave perth in late november and have to be back by about feb and cant seem to find anything for less than about $1900. even air asia comes up to 1500!
would now be a good time to book flights before they get even more expensive, or should i wait? do flights usually get cheaper a bit closer to departure date, or rather more expensive?

thanks so much
Old May 16th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time to book xmas flights to the UK

If you can flights over that period for $1900 then grab them quick!
Old May 16th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

really? its just that i found flights for feb this year for about $1400 and my partner just flew home a few days ago for 1400 as well...
Old May 16th 2010, 3:00 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Yes for 1900 or 1500 grab them quick!

We have paid for our daughter to visit us in Aus from the UK for Xmas for the past two years. (UK to Aus)

Last year, we booked about 3 months early - 1500 pounds (Approx $3000)
The year before - last minute - 1700 pounds. (Approx $3400)

In my experience they only get more expensive, the closer to Christmas you get.

$1400 is pretty good mid year - my husband went to the UK in Feb for his dads funeral and we paid $2100 and that was one of the cheapest flights we found with ok travel times. (Brisbane to Heathrow)

Last edited by Spellbound; May 16th 2010 at 3:05 am. Reason: Added
Old May 16th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I always go at xmas and always only pay $1100 - $1400. Never more.

I usually book in April or August for those prices at xmas. My Mum just got an xmas fare last month for $1400 with Lufthansa.

For my fare I look on bestflights.com.au and take the cheap fare to Flight Centre who beat it. I'd say most cheap fares for xmas are gone now and the next cheap lot will come out in Jul/Aug.

Last edited by canadaeh; May 16th 2010 at 6:54 am.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:26 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahburns
i found flights for feb this year for about $1400
February ain't Christmas!

You can try flying on Xmas Day or Jan 01 itself to get the price down a bit - although obviously you might miss out on some stuff.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:43 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Both of my daughters flights were leaving on New Years Day, which as previous poster said - chips a little of the flight.

Personally, I dont think that we book them early enough, hence the price.
Old May 16th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by canadaeh

I usually book in April or August for those prices at xmas. My Mum just got an xmas fare last month for $1400 with Lufthansa.

For my fare I look on bestflights.com.au and take the cheap fare to Flight Centre who beat it. I'd say most cheap fares for xmas are gone now and the next cheap lot will come out in Jul/Aug.
thanks for that... anyone else who can confirm this or has experienced something similar?
Old May 17th 2010, 1:42 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Its my daughters graduation ceremony in the UK on the 20th Dec this year, and we were planning on going over. I wasn't even thinking about flights just yet but this thread sparked my interest in looking at buying flights back to the UK now rather than later this year.

At the moment, the cheapest flights that I can find are for just under $1600 with Malaysia Airlines and $1900 with Virgin flying via Sydney. lastminute.com.au (Brisbane to Heathrow) I know they are going to go up in price, the closer to Christmas we get, so I am fairly tempted to book now as I think we will be looking at $2700 each if we leave it much later.

I would like to know where you find flights for $1100-1400. I looked on bestflights.com.au and the cheapest was Malaysia Airlines for $2618. I suppose it depends how flexible you are with your dates for flying, I know that they are cheaper the earlier in Dec you can leave but I am looking at around the 17th Dec - 1st Jan.
Old May 17th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound

I would like to know where you find flights for $1100-1400. I looked on bestflights.com.au and the cheapest was Malaysia Airlines for $2618. I suppose it depends how flexible you are with your dates for flying, I know that they are cheaper the earlier in Dec you can leave but I am looking at around the 17th Dec - 1st Jan.
I said above where and when to book, I find the cheap xmas flights in April and Jul/Aug usually, so looking now wont do any good.

For xmas just gone I flew for just over $1100, booked them at the end of July last year. I flew with Korean Airlines.

Last month I booked my Mum return for this xmas - leaving 14th Dec coming back 15th January, the flight was a total of $1400 with Lufthansa.

I'm going in a few weeks and got my flight cheap too (but that's not Christmas). I will be looking at going again this christmas but wont look for flights until July/Aug as at the moment don't think they're worth it. Obviously it’s no guarantee, but that’s what I do and it works for me fine. And yes it does also depend on how flexible you can be with dates. Play around with it a bit and watch out for the deals at those times and you should be able to grab it at that price.

Last edited by canadaeh; May 17th 2010 at 2:06 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 2:03 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

try giving Dial-A-Flight a call http://www.dialaflight.com/

They are extremely helpful and usually find the cheapest route.

My parents are flying over for xmas for around $1400 each (I think with Qantas), but they booked ages ago.

Last edited by coolshadows; May 17th 2010 at 2:24 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sarahburns
hey there,
just wondering if anyone has any experience with xmas flights to the uk? can leave perth in late november and have to be back by about feb and cant seem to find anything for less than about $1900. even air asia comes up to 1500!
would now be a good time to book flights before they get even more expensive, or should i wait? do flights usually get cheaper a bit closer to departure date, or rather more expensive?

thanks so much
Malaysia Airlines has flights for about $1800 if you fly to Europe on the 24 December 2010.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:32 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I should add that my parents are flying London to Sydney (for 4 days site seeing) at the beginning of December, then on to Adelaide and back again via Sydney at the end of the December. All for about $1400 each.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I paid about $1700 for a one way flight oz-uk early January, so if you can get returns for that price book it!!!
Old May 17th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canadaeh

Bestflights only gives you a quote if you pay about $160 up front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.