Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Suburbs in Melbourne?

Best Suburbs in Melbourne?

Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:50 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Suburbs in Melbourne?

Wife and I will be permanent residents in Oz soon. I'm in IT, she's a teacher and Melbourne is the place we want to live.

The question is where are the 'nicest' suburbs in Melbourne? I'd most likely be working in the city centre but will commute for up to 40 mins to get to work. Quiet leafy suburbs are the best type.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:17 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne?

Originally posted by cutgrass
Wife and I will be permanent residents in Oz soon. I'm in IT, she's a teacher and Melbourne is the place we want to live.

The question is where are the 'nicest' suburbs in Melbourne? I'd most likely be working in the city centre but will commute for up to 40 mins to get to work. Quiet leafy suburbs are the best type.

Thanks.
Torak is nice, as is Glen... erm... Glen Iris (I think that is what it was called). St. Kilda has nice areas and not-so-nice, but is fairly central and close to the beach.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told by the lady on the Victorian Govt Stand to look at Melbourne like a clock face then take it from 12 oclock to 6 oclock.
This is the are to look at i.e north down to east ,then south. We are looking to Berwick for a home etc. The write up on it looks favourable.

BooBoo
Old Jul 1st 2003, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also thinking about this the other day but never got around to posting it in the forum.

For people who live in Melbourne, what’s the realistic time for travelling to/from work (which will probably be in the city), while living in a suburb.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

We like leafy places close to the city, with nice old houses, so we liked Toorak (very big expensive houses and "old money"), Brighton (which is more "new money"), Armadale, Hawthorn, Kew, Prahran, Canterbury, Albert Park (my favourite, though there is a lot of grumbling from residents every year about the Grand Prix), and Elwood. Further down the bay, Mentone and Beaumaris are nice, and Mt Eliza is lovely. Williamstown is on the other side of the bay and it's very pretty too.

I loved Carlton as well (make sure you have an Italian meal on Lygon St), but it's more urban.

Unfortunately all the areas I've mentioned are pretty pricey since everyone wants to live there!

The best thing to do is get a Melways when you get there and drive around the city, to get a feel for the various areas.

We lived in Elwood and my husband worked in Moorabbin. It took him about 20 minutes each way to drive to work. I worked in the city and took the tram, which took about 20 minutes as well.
But we lived very close to the CBD - it can take much longer than that if you live in an outer suburb and are travelling into the city - it's best to take the train, not try and drive.

(just editing to add )
I know there are a lot of negative posts on this board so I wanted to add that we would love to still be living in Melbourne, or in New Zealand for that matter (where we come from). We only left because my husband was offered a really good job in Boston so we're living there now for the next few years. But as far as quality of life goes, we much prefer Australia and NZ to the US.

Last edited by chch; Jul 1st 2003 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know what HollyHill (think its called that) is like?
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by mrfrosty
anyone know what HollyHill (think its called that) is like?
Hi Mr Frosty

I think that Holly Hill is in Melbourne - Florida, not Melbourne - Australia

Regards