Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

It would be Elwood, or any of those along there, Elwood could well take 40 mins as well, I dont like bay beaches, So I really do go to Ocean Grove, Which I can do in about 1 hour 20 mins, from here in Coburg, which is 9 ks from Melbourne central. I can get to St Kilda or South Melbourne In about 30 mins, Or altona and Williamstown, at about the same amount of time, but all of those are bay beaches. So a day at the beach, for most people north and west of the city, really does mean, Ocean Grove, and Beyond.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It would be Elwood, or any of those along there, Elwood could well take 40 mins as well, I dont like bay beaches, So I really do go to Ocean Grove, Which I can do in about 1 hour 20 mins, from here in Coburg, which is 9 ks from Melbourne central. I can get to St Kilda or South Melbourne In about 30 mins, Or altona and Williamstown, at about the same amount of time, but all of those are bay beaches. So a day at the beach, for most people north and west of the city, really does mean, Ocean Grove, and Beyond.
Bummer thats a long way then.

I have friends in Elwood and their beach is a bit ordinary and to crowded for my liking. I would have thought you were nearer a decent one though You live and learn though
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

So is the general concensus Mordialloc and surrounding areas ( Mentone, Aspendale, Parkdale ) are good suburbs to bring up a young family with access to beaches & cafes.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:50 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
So is the general concensus Mordialloc and surrounding areas ( Mentone, Aspendale, Parkdale ) are good suburbs to bring up a young family with access to beaches & cafes.

Bloody hell! You not telling us something
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
Bloody hell! You not telling us something
Fraser, what on earth do you mean?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:58 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser, what on earth do you mean?

Missus isn't in the family way,Is she
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Missus isn't in the family way,Is she
Already been that way. We have an 11 month old.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:16 pm

Already been that way. We have an 11 month old.

sorry mate thought you didn't have kids... Doh
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sorry mate thought you didn't have kids... Doh
Just the one at the moment. A little girl, Olivia. Looking forward to a better way of life. An outside life.

Do you have any kids?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:22 pm

Just the one at the moment. A little girl, Olivia. Looking forward to a better way of life. An outside life.

Do you have any kids?

Yeah 2 mate must have been chatting to another bhoy

Henry3 and Bobby 1
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah 2 mate must have been chatting to another bhoy

Henry3 and Bobby 1
I am feeling your pain........... :scared:

I can't complain, she is a good baby, sleeps through and has done since she was 3 months. how are things are your end?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:30 pm

I am feeling your pain........... :scared:

I can't complain, she is a good baby, sleeps through and has done since she was 3 months. how are things are your end?

They're really scary :scared:
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

They're really scary :scared:
I can't remember what you said on another thread. Are you looking to settle around Melbourne?

Just been speaking to the good lady and we think it was about a month and half for our visa to come through after we sent our medicals.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

We moved to Melbourne in Jan, and prior to arriving had the same thoughts about settling somewhere on the bayside. Hubby needs to commute to the CBD and doesn't want to spend half his life commuting. We looked at rental properties in Aspendale, Mentone, Mount Waverley and others and most houses were in disrepair and I wouldn't want to live there. To cut a long story short we ended up in Ivanhoe (just because it was the first decent property we found). We had not really considered it as an area before because I was focusing on being nearer the sea. It was a standard 12 month lease - I think most rentals are. My daughter has settled into the local primary school and we would love to stay in the area. The train journey is 22 mins to CBD and Mr Pootle cycles in quite often. There are loads of great parks in the area which we go to often, and we can be at the beach in 20-30 mins. Although like a previous poster said, the beaches out west are great and we can get there just as easily as from the SE. In fact we are heading off for Lorne tomorrow for a week! Keep an open mind and have a look around as many areas as you can. There are lots of nice areas and I'm sure we would be happy in any of them.
All the best,
Pootle
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pootle
We moved to Melbourne in Jan, and prior to arriving had the same thoughts about settling somewhere on the bayside. Hubby needs to commute to the CBD and doesn't want to spend half his life commuting. We looked at rental properties in Aspendale, Mentone, Mount Waverley and others and most houses were in disrepair and I wouldn't want to live there. To cut a long story short we ended up in Ivanhoe (just because it was the first decent property we found). We had not really considered it as an area before because I was focusing on being nearer the sea. It was a standard 12 month lease - I think most rentals are. My daughter has settled into the local primary school and we would love to stay in the area. The train journey is 22 mins to CBD and Mr Pootle cycles in quite often. There are loads of great parks in the area which we go to often, and we can be at the beach in 20-30 mins. Although like a previous poster said, the beaches out west are great and we can get there just as easily as from the SE. In fact we are heading off for Lorne tomorrow for a week! Keep an open mind and have a look around as many areas as you can. There are lots of nice areas and I'm sure we would be happy in any of them.
All the best,
Pootle

Well done, a 10/10 area, You have chosen well, and less traffic to navigate, by going west to the beach, than east.

All you have to do now, is head down lower heidelberg road etc, to discover the varied and plentiful cafe set, which is Collingwood, Fitzroy, and Carlton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.