Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best suburbs for families in Melbourne?

Best suburbs for families in Melbourne?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best suburbs for families in Melbourne?

I will be moving to Melbourne in Jan 05 with my husband and family (2 girls aged 11 and 12 years).

My husband and I are travelling to Melbourne, arriving on 11 September to have a look at suitable areas to live. As my husband's job is home based we are flexible regarding location. We will be looking for a 4 bedroom property, with a garden, in a good area, with good schools.

Any suggestions regarding the best areas to be looking in would be gratefully received.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best suburbs for families in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by AmandaJ
I will be moving to Melbourne in Jan 05 with my husband and family (2 girls aged 11 and 12 years).

My husband and I are travelling to Melbourne, arriving on 11 September to have a look at suitable areas to live. As my husband's job is home based we are flexible regarding location. We will be looking for a 4 bedroom property, with a garden, in a good area, with good schools.

Any suggestions regarding the best areas to be looking in would be gratefully received.
Hello Amanda

My husband and I will hopefully be moving to Melbourne for the new year, so I would be very interested in your responses. Our children are not school age so we don't have to worry about that aspect. We are very sociable people so finding right area is very important to us to.

Regards Karen
Old Aug 31st 2004, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmandaJ

hi
do you have any ideas on how much you want to spend on a house? e.g a 4 bed house in Brighton will cost you 3x as much as a 4 bed house in say, Coburg. Do you want to be by the Bay? in the hills? reasonably close to the city?

I dont have school-age children but the area I used to live in was near to Balwyn - Balwyn has very highly regarded high schools and homes within the catchment area are sought after. Balwyn is approx 12 kms east of cbd - and about 12km in from coast

good luck
Old Aug 31st 2004, 3:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Berwick seems to be the in place with Ex Pats just now.
Very nice little suburb it is to, well not so little I guess, seems to get bigger everytime I see it but nice area.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:26 pm
DPD
Forum Regular

DPD is an unknown quantity at this point

Berwck is popular, but a little bit far from the city if you want to be near to it (and you have to be because the suburbs have bugger all). I'd recommend being in closer. Somewhere like Glen Waverley if you have the money, it's one of the nicer old suburbs. Caulfield, Murumbeena, Carnegie, Chadstone, areas in Clayton, are other suggestions (going down the list by most expensive to least).
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:19 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

We are just outside Berwick and it is a very beautiful area. There are jobs outside the city, it really depends on your professions. My journey to work ranges from 25 to 40 mins.

We are 25 mins from the beach, 25 mins from the Dandenongs, 1 hour from the city and 2 hours from the snow.

It all very much depends on your preferences. Other suburbs to look at are
Narre Warren, Lysterfield, Ferntree Gully.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:28 am
Badge

We are in the hills overlooking the Berwick valley from the N. Moreorless. Not going to give it away otherwise every Pom might look here(!) Further away but worth it for the lifestyle we want. When I talk about my hour commute citysiders are amazed but I tell them 1 hr is normal in the UK - people from the shires beinging up kids in the country are doing 2+ in the UK. Whats the time from Cambridge these days?

I'm called the bush boy at work.

BM

Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:32 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We live on the mornington peninsula and if you are able to work from home would be ideal as to work in the city as my hubby does is a 1/12hr commute. It is a great place to bring up kids with plenty of countryside and winerys and how could you forget the great beaches on either side. There is a train from Frankston into the city takes 1 hour. To drive from our house in Somerville to the CBD is 1 hour. Prices are still cheaper down here than the city but obviously you pay for the sea view.

I don't have kids yet so not sure on the school front

Jo
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Broadmeadows is nice....
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

There's been a few threads in the past about Melb suburbs which might have some useful info for you. These are here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=235231
http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=232806
http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=221024
http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=203482
http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=199799
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:17 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hels
Broadmeadows is nice....

Get back in your box.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you want, its a big place!!
City, bay, mountains or beaches?
busy, quiet, burb, country, public transport.

The choices are endless, as are the burbs!! Also one persons "dream" is another persons nightmare. For example i wouldn't touch Glen Waverly with the proverbial pooey stick, but plenty of others like it so it can't be that bad
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info which might be useful for people - latest median property prices by suburb of Melbourne and outlying areas. Prices are for the June 2004 quarter and are in $000's, suburbs marked with an * indicates the figure is based on fewer than 30 sales for the quarter. Suburbs A to C in first post:

Abbotsford* 407.5;Airport West* 335;Albert Park* 833.75;Alphington* 565;Altona Meadows* 255; Altona* 300; Ardeer* 206.5; Armadale* 837.5; Ascot Vale 436.25; Ashburton* 500; Aspendale* 353; Avondale Hts* 323.55; Bacchus Marsh* 187; Balwyn 679; Balwyn Nth 605; Bayswater* 263.5; Bayswater Nth*260.5; Beachonsfield* 352.5; Beaumaris* 560; Belgrave* 250; Bentleigh 445; Bentleigh East 397.5; Berwick 287.475; Black Rock* 750; Blackburn 418.5, Blackburn Nth* 351.5; Blackburn Sth* 383; Boronia 248.25; Box Hill* 472; Box Hill Sth * 377.5; Braybrook* 244; Brighton 970; Broadmeadows* 208 (very cheap ); Brunswick 403; Bulleen* 438; Bundoora 291.25; Burnside* 295.5; Burwood* 409; Burwood East * 348; Camberwell 665; Campbellfield* 256; Canterbury* 940; Carlton* 414; Carlton Nth* 657; Carnegie* 480; Caroline Springs* 250; Carrum Downs* 215.175; Caulfield* 715; Chadstone* 385; Chelsea Hts* 269; Cheltenham 372.5; Chrinside Park* 278.8; Clayton* 320; Clifton Hill* 575; Coburg 342; Collingwood* 420; Coolaroo* 193.25; Craigieburn* 224; Cranbourne* 200; Croydon 278; Croydon Hills* 323.65.

The Median for all suburbs was $357,876. You will find a correlation between prices in a suburb and proximity to the CBD, the sea, the hills, views, industry etc, etc.

OzTennis
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

D to L:

Dallas* 210; Dandenong* 215; Dandenong Nth 235.5; Deer Park* 210; Diamond Creek* 336; Dingley* 312.5; Doncaster 430.15; Donvale* 530; Eaglemont* $1.25 mill; East Melbourne* 900; Elsternwick* 455; Eltham 389; Elwood* 675.375; Endeavour Hills 237.75; Epping* 263; Essendon 484.5; Essendon Nth* 420; Fairfield* 497; Fawkner* 260; Ferntree Gully 259.875; Fitzroy* 597.125; Fitzroy Nth* 498; Flemington* 363.75; Footscray (carn the 'Dogs) 300; Footscray West* 307; Forest Hill* 368.5; Frankston 238; Frankston Sth* 347.5; Gisborne* 280; Gladstone Park* 255; Glenhuntly* 521; Glen Iris 635; Glen Waverley 393.5; Glenroy 277.5; Greensborough 320; Greenvale* 395; Hampton 672.5; Hawthorn 825; Hawthorn East* 748; Healesville* 217.5; Heathmont 293.75; Heidelberg* 396.5; Heidelberg Hts* 302.75; Highett* 384; Hillside* 260; Hoppers Crossing 215; Hughesdale* 402; Hurstbridge* 325; Ivanhoe* 500; Ivanhoe East* 685.75; Kealba* 225; Keilor Downs* 270; Keilor* 427.5; Kensington 380; Kew 699; Keysbroough 240; Kilsyth* 249.5; Kingsbury* 274.75; Kingsville* 361.25; Knoxfield* 255; Kooyong* $1.565 mill; Lalor* 240; Laverton* 197; Lilydale 271.75; Lower Plenty* 969.5

OzTennis
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Get back in your box.

What??? What did I do??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.