Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Restaurants/Bars/spots where you are...

Wikiposts

Best Restaurants/Bars/spots where you are...

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:35 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Restaurants/Bars/spots where you are...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Everytime I've been for a meal at Southbank, I've felt overcharged, and considered I could have got better quality, in Fitzroy or Carlton.
I know what you mean, most of the places there are designed for the tourists who stay in the Crown and don't care about cost, Automatic is actually really good value, think last time I was there $50 for three course meal and drinks for two. http://www.automaticcafe.com.au/

Once you get away from the real touristy place there are some fine restaurants in Carlton and of course Brunetti's cafe, if you have a sweet tooth then the cakes there are divine.

And Acland Street's cake shops in St Kilda are definitely a must visit!!
Attached Thumbnails Best Restaurants/Bars/spots where you are...-melbourne_cakes.jpg   Best Restaurants/Bars/spots where you are...-melbourne_cakes-02.jpg  
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I know what you mean, most of the places there are designed for the tourists who stay in the Crown and don't care about cost, Automatic is actually really good value, think last time I was there $50 for three course meal and drinks for two. http://www.automaticcafe.com.au/

Once you get away from the real touristy place there are some fine restaurants in Carlton and of course Brunetti's cafe, if you have a sweet tooth then the cakes there are divine.

And Acland Street's cake shops in St Kilda are definitely a must visit!!
Just had a look at the URL, for Automatic's FB, Looks very impressive, I've always wanted to find a decent reasonably priced place down Southbank, That may be the place I go to on our next meal out.

If you are brave try one of those Vietnamese places in Bridge Rd, Richmond, Thy thy or Tho Tho, The majority of people that try those, always go back, The Decor at Thy Thy, is what one would imagine to find in a newly arrived Vietnamese Migrants house, Excepting its about 50 times bigger. It's more for people that have lived here for a while, than tourists thats for sure
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Favourite Thai Restaurant, (it's also full of thai patrons, which always a good sign) Thai Thani, Brunswick St, Fitzroy, (nr the corner of Johnstone St)
I'll second that Ozzie I used to go to that one!

I do miss the great selection of Thai & Japanese restaurants now we are in the UK. Japanese is pretty hard to find over here.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I forget the name but there is a brilliant Italian upstairs at the Pier centre.

Ciao.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:45 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

You can't beat Newtown for value in Sydney. Three hundred plus eateries in walking distance of the centre, just go in a full one!

My personal faves are
- Twelve. Glass and chrome cheesy decor, but great food and excellent wine list. Went as a four, cost 110.
- Atelier. Awesome french food, overpriced wine list but BYO is an option. Went as three and did BYO, cost 90.
- Cicciolina (Sp?). Italian, obviously. Generous and tasty, BYO also. Meal for four under 100.
- Thai-riffic. Awesome Thai, BYO and really cheerful staff. Been here lots - reckon on 25/person

Others
- Icebergs on Bondi. Very pretentious. Meal for two with [admittedly expensive French] wine - three hundred bucks. Tried their special twice and neither time did it really 'work'. Be seen here, but don't stay for dinner.
- Hotel Mosman. Bargain basement, and home (IMO) of the five dollar steak, which is frankly worth three times the price.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:55 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Any Perthies got any recommendations - I'm looking forward to some good asian cooking (although I've heard finding a decent curry is nigh on impossible).
Anything seafoody is fine with me.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4lex
You can't beat Newtown for value in Sydney. Three hundred plus eateries in walking distance of the centre, just go in a full one!

My personal faves are
- Twelve. Glass and chrome cheesy decor, but great food and excellent wine list. Went as a four, cost 110.
- Atelier. Awesome french food, overpriced wine list but BYO is an option. Went as three and did BYO, cost 90.
- Cicciolina (Sp?). Italian, obviously. Generous and tasty, BYO also. Meal for four under 100.
- Thai-riffic. Awesome Thai, BYO and really cheerful staff. Been here lots - reckon on 25/person

Others
- Icebergs on Bondi. Very pretentious. Meal for two with [admittedly expensive French] wine - three hundred bucks. Tried their special twice and neither time did it really 'work'. Be seen here, but don't stay for dinner.
- Hotel Mosman. Bargain basement, and home (IMO) of the five dollar steak, which is frankly worth three times the price.
The wine list at the Icebergs could leave broke if you are not careful.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:42 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Went for veggie Yum Cha on the weekend at Bohdi near Hyde Park in Sydney and thought I'd pass on the tip. It was fabulous - we ate till we rolled out and it was incredibly cheap. Anyone else got good places?

Bohdi is still there. Fantastic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I first ate in there.

Zia Marias in Arncliffe was great for a takeaway pizza (8 years ago at least)
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Bohdi is still there. Fantastic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I first ate in there.

Zia Marias in Arncliffe was great for a takeaway pizza (8 years ago at least)

We enjoyed a Vietnamese restaurant in Victoria st in Melbourne can't remember which one it was but you had to go upstairs.
Greasy Joes in Acland st does a great brekkie.
Wild in Byron Bay was a great restaurant with brilliant service
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:08 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
You can't beat Newtown for value in Sydney. .

My sister in law lives in newtown. there is an excellent thai place in king street we have visited for lunch a few times, costs about $6 i think for a set menu and the food is f**kin top notch, and theres loads of the stuff. Also, there's a pub down a side street near a churchyard that I cant remember the name if that is the best one in the area. theres also a bar called "Zambezi bar" or something similar on king street thats open 24 hours. its better than a lot of the other 24hour places that i've visited..

NJJ