Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Places To Live In OZ

Best Places To Live In OZ

Old Mar 17th 2006, 6:29 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Places To Live In OZ

Well we have a similar thread running about UK, so how about telling us why where you live in OZ is great and why you'd recommend it to others thinking of moving to OZ or interstate. Things like quality of life, work opportunities, friendliness of locals, recreation and leisure facilities, etc etc.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:30 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Best Places To Live In OZ

Originally Posted by kiwichild
so how about telling us why where you live in OZ is great and why you'd recommend it to others thinking of moving to OZ or interstate.
The Fleuerieu Peninsular, South Australia.

1. Mediterranean climate - Noticeable seasons. 6 months of shorts and sunhats, 6 of light jumpers. A fraction of the rain of most places in Aus and the world.

2. Quiet - It's outside of the city and has a nice rural feel to it. Few of the problems associated with high density living.

3. Close to a big city - Everywhere's within 90 minutes of the centre of Adelaide. The roads aren't great, but they are empty by most people's standards.

4. Water, water everywhere - the peninsular is by definition surrounded by sea - calm bay waters on the west, choppy surf on the east. Hundreds of miles of deserted beaches. The River Murray and the giant lake Alexandrina.

5. Safety - there's nowhere that I'd feel unsafe walking at 1am. A safe place to bring up kids.

6. Community spirit - e.g. town's and villages have shows. Volunteers run the fire service, ambulance service...
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:36 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

The Gold Coast.

Australia's only city on the beach with a virtual year long beach climate that also offers decent jobs, education and so on.

It's also near Brisbane for the events and the Sunshine Coast/ Northern NSW for weekends away.

Plus, it's full of Kiwi's.

Paul.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:42 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Next door to the Wizard, at the end of the yellow brick road
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:46 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Next door to the Wizard, at the end of the yellow brick road
She'll get you my pretty and your little dog toto too.

Hang on, I'll stop now before another hijacking occurs.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by diddy
She'll get you my pretty and your little dog toto too.

Hang on, I'll stop now before another hijacking occurs.
Oh can't we get to the bit where I wear the silver shoes
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:50 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne.....it has not been called the Worlds Most Livable City for nothing (2002 & 2004, and been in top 5 for last 5 years)

It is friendly city, with lots and lots going on.
Some really great suburbs, with a sense of real community.

Some great schools (we work in education...so we have close contact with many schools)

Transport system is really good.

Weather is good...hot summers (top temp was 44C for a few days...average low 30s) Winter is chilly, but short (like an English spring), Spring can be wet, but Autumn is lovely.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:52 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Oh can't we get to the bit where I wear the silver shoes
Ahem...red.

You're just not watching enough 30's and 40's hollywood musicals these days.

How may times do I have to send you South Pacific, Oklahoma and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers before you'll actually watch them.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:56 am

Ahem...red.

You're just not watching enough 30's and 40's hollywood musicals these days.

How may times do I have to send you South Pacific, Oklahoma and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers before you'll actually watch them.
The Good Witch of the North comes with the Munchkins to greet Dorothy, and gives her the Silver Shoes the Wicked Witch of the East had been wearing when she was killed.
Red, silver, I don't mind so long as they're a size 10 with a decent heel
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:07 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Have you ever noticed how no one else gets involved in these important discussions we have?

The problem I have with the Wizard of Oz is this. The whole story is completely believable and there's nothing in it particularly out of the ordinary - talking lions, tin men, tiny people, but if the witch dies when she comes into contact with water, how does she remain hydrated. She certainly couldn't move to SE Qld.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:12 am
ABCDiamond

We all know the film version of L. Frank Baum's classic story.(1) Living on a farm on the dusty Kansas plains with her hardworking Uncle Henry and Auntie Era, Dorothy finds farm life harsh, and her friendly companions, the farmhands, will have to be let go. Worst of all, because of the dictates of the vindictive Elvira Gulch, Dorothy is about to lose her faithful dog Toto. When the cyclone hits, our heroine whirls into the electrifying world of the imagination, Oz. Wearing the ruby red slippers, she ventures down the yellow brick road seeking the fabulous Wizard of Oz, despite the perils lurking at the edges of the paint.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...23/ai_18299545

Typical woman, always more than one pair of shoes

Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:13 am

Have you ever noticed how no one else gets involved in these important discussions we have?

The problem I have with the Wizard of Oz is this. The whole story is completely believable and there's nothing in it particularly out of the ordinary - talking lions, tin men, tiny people, but if the witch dies when she comes into contact with water, how does she remain hydrated. She certainly couldn't move to SE Qld.
And what I find totally unbelievable is if this so called Wazzard is from Oz, wtf is he doing in Kansas? Nobody emigrates from here to the US.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We all know the film version of L. Frank Baum's classic story.(1) Living on a farm on the dusty Kansas plains with her hardworking Uncle Henry and Auntie Era, Dorothy finds farm life harsh, and her friendly companions, the farmhands, will have to be let go. Worst of all, because of the dictates of the vindictive Elvira Gulch, Dorothy is about to lose her faithful dog Toto. When the cyclone hits, our heroine whirls into the electrifying world of the imagination, Oz. Wearing the ruby red slippers, she ventures down the yellow brick road seeking the fabulous Wizard of Oz, despite the perils lurking at the edges of the paint.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...23/ai_18299545

Typical woman, always more than one pair of shoes

Thanks ABC. Glad we got that cleared up. I wish Gedge would make himself clearer and say he's talking about the original book rather than the film adaption. You know how these things can so easily get nasty on here.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:20 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

And what I find totally unbelievable is if this so called Wazzard is from Oz, wtf is he doing in Kansas? Nobody emigrates from here to the US.
Tis true. I'm starting to think that the whole story is just make believe.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:22 am

Thanks ABC. Glad we got that cleared up. I wish Gedge would make himself clearer and say he's talking about the original book rather than the film adaption. You know how these things can so easily get nasty on here.
Well the wife hasn't got any red shoes (she's not that type of girl ) so I'll have to make do with the silver.