Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best places to live in Gold Coast

Best places to live in Gold Coast

Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:54 am
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold
Default Best places to live in Gold Coast

Hi All

Anybody any idea of the best areas to live in Gold Coast (ie housing estates)......we would like to be close to the beach and good schools Yes I know this sounds like the OZ dream but any local info would be appreciated

We are currently staying at Labrador at the mow and loving it

Martin & Angie
Old Oct 9th 2006, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places to live in Gold Coast

Originally Posted by connollys.home
Hi All

Anybody any idea of the best areas to live in Gold Coast (ie housing estates)......we would like to be close to the beach and good schools Yes I know this sounds like the OZ dream but any local info would be appreciated

Martin & Angie
Hi guys. It's really difficult to suggest any suburb over any other - haven't found many that aren't great. Everyone's idea of the best place is different. Best advice I can give is drive around and see for yourself. We were all for Pac Pines/Helensvale etc before we arrived - it appeared to tick all boxes. However when we got here we ruled the area out immediately and have ended up at the bottom end of the coast which in reality does tick all the boxes for us.

During our search, we didn't find any bad schools and very few suburbs are more than 20 mins from the coast.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 3:34 am
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hi guys. It's really difficult to suggest any suburb over any other - haven't found many that aren't great. Everyone's idea of the best place is different. Best advice I can give is drive around and see for yourself. We were all for Pac Pines/Helensvale etc before we arrived - it appeared to tick all boxes. However when we got here we ruled the area out immediately and have ended up at the bottom end of the coast which in reality does tick all the boxes for us.

During our search, we didn't find any bad schools and very few suburbs are more than 20 mins from the coast.
Thanks for replying, be in touch soon
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:10 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

The only place that we would avoid is Nerang so we have been told and read about in the local paper.

Apart from Nerang, most suburbs are really nice and close to everything.

We stayed at Paradise Point for 6 months and have now moved to Arundal and are planning to stay here (renting) for at least a year.

Rob
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
The only place that we would avoid is Nerang so we have been told and read about in the local paper.

Apart from Nerang, most suburbs are really nice and close to everything.

We stayed at Paradise Point for 6 months and have now moved to Arundal and are planning to stay here (renting) for at least a year.

Rob
Would you be avoiding the million $ homes that are also in Nerang or just the 1 or 2 bad-ish little parts. I think Nerang does still get a little bit of stick all from its reputation from years ago, this is what all the Aussies i work with say. Quill
Old Oct 9th 2006, 8:58 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

I must admit that there are some nice homes in Nerang but it has got that stigma of being a less nicer place. :scared:

We have driven around Nerang a few times but its not for us but there are many, many suburbs that are really nice and i think that you will be spoilt for choice

Originally Posted by karenjc
Would you be avoiding the million $ homes that are also in Nerang or just the 1 or 2 bad-ish little parts. I think Nerang does still get a little bit of stick all from its reputation from years ago, this is what all the Aussies i work with say. Quill
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:56 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Martin & Angie
Hi Martin & Angie
Glad you are liking the apartment - we will be in touch soon. You know the number if you need anything else.
Claire
xxx
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:58 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
I must admit that there are some nice homes in Nerang but it has got that stigma of being a less nicer place. :scared:

We have driven around Nerang a few times but its not for us but there are many, many suburbs that are really nice and i think that you will be spoilt for choice
Hi Rob

Did you not see Highland Park then? That is classed as Nerang and has some of the most stunning homes & views I have ever seen.

Claire
x
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Martin & Angie
if u want my opinion, i think u live in the most dodgy area of the gold coast.
now before u start

that tells u more about the other areas on the coast. u love it and so u should.
if i was to compare labrador to most of the areas in glasgow. i would pick labrador
a lot of areas on the coast have a little dodgy bit.
paradise point ( couple of streets i wouldnt let my dog walk down)
runaway bay ( if u want your house broken into) its the place to live)
coombabah (has a very small area the reminds me of castlemilk in glasgow)
biggera waters ( more than a few dodgy streets)
Nerang ( classed as a poor area) but as has been said before, it has a lot of fantastic parts
southport ( CBD of the gold coast) if u like a lot of traffic and "ok" public transport, this might be the place for you
ashmore, molendinar, and bundal (a bit too industrial for me) but theres houses in ashmore that even fraser couldnt afford to water the grass nevermind buy it. step 2 streets off the main drag in ashmore and u will find some of the best areas on the coast.
robina cant say much about this area as i get lost every time i go there ( too many trees in the middle of the road, make all the streets look the same to me) but we have friends there who wouldnt live anywhere else on the coast.
arundel ( feels like it was built too quickly) i feel as if im stuck in the middle of nowhere when im driving through. but its not at all like that. it also has some of the best areas on the coast.
helensvale ( find it hard to fault this place) nuff said.
pac pines ( a place for families ) no public transport, shopping centre is a joke, and at times has that over spill feel about it, still growing with 4000 homes still to build. with all that said, its where i want to live. it has all i nead in an area ( keeping it a secret or u will all wanna live here)

right, someone else can do the south

Last edited by soapy©; Oct 10th 2006 at 8:53 am.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
if u want my opinion, i think u live in the most dodgy area of the gold coast.
now before u start

that tells u more about the other areas on the coast. u love it and so u should.
if i was to compare labrador to most of the areas in glasgow. i would pick labrador
a lot of areas on the coast have a little dodgy bit.
paradise point ( couple of streets i wouldnt let my dog walk down)
runaway bay ( if u want your house broken into) its the place to live)
coombabah (has a very small area the reminds me of castlemilk in glasgow)
biggera waters ( more than a few dodgy streets)
Nerang ( classed as a poor area) but as has been said before, it has a lot of fantastic parts
southport ( CBD of the gold coast) if u like a lot of traffic and "ok" public transport, this might be the place for you
ashmore, molendinar, and bundal (a bit too industrial for me) but theres houses in ashmore that even fraser couldnt afford to water the grass nevermind buy it. step 2 streets off the main drag in ashmore and u will find some of the best areas on the coast.
robina cant say much about this area as i get lost every time i go there ( too many trees in the middle of the road, make all the streets look the same to me) but we have friends there who wouldnt live anywhere else on the coast.
arundel ( feels like it was built too quickly) i feel as if im stuck in the middle of nowhere when im driving through. but its not at all like that. it also has some of the best areas on the coast.
helensvale ( find it hard to fault this place) nuff said.
pac pines ( a place for families ) no public transport, shopping centre is a joke, and at times has that over spill feel about it, still growing with 4000 homes still to build. with all that said, its where i want to live. it has all i nead in an area ( keeping it a secret or u will all wanna live here)

right, someone else can do the south
If it's ok with people, I would like to keep the south end secret as well. It suits us extremely well that way If folk want to venture down here, they will see for themselves
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If it's ok with people, I would like to keep the south end secret as well. It suits us extremely well that way If folk want to venture down here, they will see for themselves
might be better if u tell them what its like though. u dont want me doing it, do ya
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Every area of the coast is different and what some like others don't, you will have to judge for yourself, it's the best way. I have been in Arundel for 2 and a half years and we have seen it slowly go downhill in that time, we are in a very new estate, with approx 50% of the houses now rentals, a lot of crap tenants who don't really give a toss,we would never buy in Arundel although my kids will stay in the school as I'm really happy with it, we will be moving next year to Maudsland which is at the moment not a busy area but within the next 5 years will be, in fact almost every area of the GC is growing all the time and soon all these areas will be joining each other.

Drive around and get a real feel for all the areas and if you have kids then check out all the schools too, don't go with peoples recommendations (as all differ), go with your instinct and the feel you get from the place.

Good luck wherever you settle

Lisa
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:11 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

It is quite difficult to choose a suburb to live in but what we have found is that most are pretty much similar and no real bad areas.

There are alot of rentals around which can sometimes put a negative into the equation. We moved from Paradise Point which we found to be really nice but we are now renting in Arundel, for 12 months by which time we will be in a better position of knowing exactly which area we would like to make roots.

Best advice i can give is just do your homework and what may suit one person/family, may not suit the next.

The Gold Coast in general is a lovely place to live and bring up the children but the main thing here is to enjoy life to the full

Trish

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Every area of the coast is different and what some like others don't, you will have to judge for yourself, it's the best way. I have been in Arundel for 2 and a half years and we have seen it slowly go downhill in that time, we are in a very new estate, with approx 50% of the houses now rentals, a lot of crap tenants who don't really give a toss,we would never buy in Arundel although my kids will stay in the school as I'm really happy with it, we will be moving next year to Maudsland which is at the moment not a busy area but within the next 5 years will be, in fact almost every area of the GC is growing all the time and soon all these areas will be joining each other.

Drive around and get a real feel for all the areas and if you have kids then check out all the schools too, don't go with peoples recommendations (as all differ), go with your instinct and the feel you get from the place.

Lisa
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:23 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by floweroscotland

Lisa
are u trying to say ma post is pure pish
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by soapy
are u trying to say ma post is pure pish
If the shoe fits......... Actually it was fairly intelligent comment I would agree with majority of it (except the reason for living in Pac Pines of course)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.