Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place (sigh - another one!) in Aus

Best place (sigh - another one!) in Aus

Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Dunkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place (sigh - another one!) in Aus

We intend moving to Australia later in 2008 and are utterly bewildered by the pros and cons / for and against arguments as to which is the best city to settle in.

I grew up in South Africa, and my wife and children (aged 15 and 17) are British.

We will be in the fortunate position of not having to worry about money, and hope to find ourselves a large house.

We also intend purchasing a motor yacht, so it has to be on the coast - preferably with a boating community. Because we value our privacy, we're hoping to find a home with large grounds.

We will be establishing an engineering / R&D facility wherever we finally land up, so it needs to be near somewhere fairly busy, but with rural locations to be found not too far out of town.

We've been considering Hervey Bay - but only because my son's friend moved there recently and he "loves it." However, researching comments on this forum throws doubt on HB as being suitable.

We want busy, but not crazy. My wife and I will pass up on the nightlife (dining excepted) although my children would appreciate somewhere vibrant and up-beat.

Low crime rates (relatively speaking) are essential, as are the proximity to a modern hospital (I have Crohn's disease - badly - and have in the past needed emergency treatment for something that would have ended my life within 50 minutes (massive haemorrhaging.)

Is that enough to go on?

Many thanks for any tips.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place (sigh - another one!) in Aus

Originally Posted by Dunkin
We intend moving to Australia later in 2008 and are utterly bewildered by the pros and cons / for and against arguments as to which is the best city to settle in.

I grew up in South Africa, and my wife and children (aged 15 and 17) are British.

We will be in the fortunate position of not having to worry about money, and hope to find ourselves a large house.

We also intend purchasing a motor yacht, so it has to be on the coast - preferably with a boating community. Because we value our privacy, we're hoping to find a home with large grounds.

We will be establishing an engineering / R&D facility wherever we finally land up, so it needs to be near somewhere fairly busy, but with rural locations to be found not too far out of town.

We've been considering Hervey Bay - but only because my son's friend moved there recently and he "loves it." However, researching comments on this forum throws doubt on HB as being suitable.

We want busy, but not crazy. My wife and I will pass up on the nightlife (dining excepted) although my children would appreciate somewhere vibrant and up-beat.

Low crime rates (relatively speaking) are essential, as are the proximity to a modern hospital (I have Crohn's disease - badly - and have in the past needed emergency treatment for something that would have ended my life within 50 minutes (massive haemorrhaging.)

Is that enough to go on?

Many thanks for any tips.
Large grounds on the coast might be a challenge , a 20 metre wide bit of waterfront starts around the 1 million with a bad aspect, shallow water, a good site double or triple + that. Houses on those blocks are large, you see and hear the neighbour breath and fart.

Acerage grounds on the coastline, near a city centre that has a major hospital, ummm You sound fairly well off, but to narrow it down a bit what budget are you talking for the house, I think it might need to be pretty big to meet those requirements.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Large grounds on the coast might be a challenge , a 20 metre wide bit of waterfront starts around the 1 million with a bad aspect, shallow water, a good site double or triple + that. Houses on those blocks are large, you see and hear the neighbour breath and fart.

Acerage grounds on the coastline, near a city centre that has a major hospital, ummm You sound fairly well off, but to narrow it down a bit what budget are you talking for the house, I think it might need to be pretty big to meet those requirements.
10 million $AUS? Even more, if need be. I've looked at what is available for up to 2 million, and there is nothing remotely suitable.

And I don't particularly wish to hear my neighbours fart, thank you! You may laugh, but I have experienced precisely than in my yoof...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:01 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

10 million $AUS? Even more, if need be. I've looked at what is available for up to 2 million, and there is nothing remotely suitable.

And I don't particularly wish to hear my neighbours fart, thank you! You may laugh, but I have experienced precisely than in my yoof...
If the money issue is no object why don't you look at a waterfront property with mooring for a decent sized motor yacht in the city and a substantial country property for the weekends and holidays... If you've the cash there's no shortage of things to look at here in Sydney and up the coast...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If your Crohn's disease is as bad as you say then you may well fail the medical.

Take one step at a time.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yep 2 million would be nowhere enough to get what you want, sounds like you certainly need acerage, having been on that, can assure you its no guarantee of escaping yobby aussie neighbours money does not buy class

Waterfront acerage with 10 mill, can see that would be out of the question in Syd, Melb and Bris, but rural centres like HB you could probably buy a small community and it has a big hospital.

North qld perhaps, stonking humidity in summer but should be plenty of coastline up there, big hosps in rockhampton, cairns etc
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
If your Crohn's disease is as bad as you say then you may well fail the medical.

Take one step at a time.
That is definitely a concern. However, I have an awful lot to add to the community of Australia and would expect a little leeway on behalf of the authorities.

My health has always been an issue and I am eager not to impose myself on the Australian health system, and fully intend to pay my way.

I feel I can offer services that would actually positively impact on the Australian economy. Surely there is some mileage in that, regardless of my health anomalies?

The products I am currently working on and developing will change the face of a specific industry across the globe - they are by no means pie in the sky dreams.

Not only that, but I am in a position to offer life-changing opportunities to people who have inventions / ideas in mind, but who lack the financial and professional backing to take their ideas to the next stage.

Thanks for any feedback - positive or otherwise.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely a concern. However, I have an awful lot to add to the community of Australia and would expect a little leeway on behalf of the authorities.

My health has always been an issue and I am eager not to impose myself on the Australian health system, and fully intend to pay my way.

I feel I can offer services that would actually positively impact on the Australian economy. Surely there is some mileage in that, regardless of my health anomalies?

The products I am currently working on and developing will change the face of a specific industry across the globe - they are by no means pie in the sky dreams.

Not only that, but I am in a position to offer life-changing opportunities to people who have inventions / ideas in mind, but who lack the financial and professional backing to take their ideas to the next stage.

Thanks for any feedback - positive or otherwise.
The health criteria isn't negotiable, you either pass it or you don't. For the best chance to pass you should employ an expert such as Peter Bollard to assist you. http://users.bigpond.net.au/onk/
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:21 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

$3m get you this. Close to a medium sized hospital in Nowra or a larger one in Wollongong. Only thing it lacks is a 'boat' community. However there are plans to install a marina in Shoalhaven Heads (where I live) which would provide all your require. You'd certainly have your privacy too.

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:23 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Mate with that much dosh,I'd email the top 2 real estate guys in any state...i'm pretty sure they would be in touch pretty damn quick
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
The health criteria isn't negotiable, you either pass it or you don't. For the best chance to pass you should employ an expert such as Peter Bollard to assist you. http://users.bigpond.net.au/onk/
Wendy's right. They don't care about anything else other than if you pass or fail. You'd be expected to pass the medical just like everyone else, your money or future impact on the economy will have no bearing.

However if you do make it through that stage I'm sure you'll have enough to find something suitable. Maybe a trip over to look at different areas would be helpful.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:56 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

You could try Redcliffe, specifically Scarborough, or new build at Kippa Ring (Newport Quays). Meets all your criteria. Vaccant 2000m square land $2m. Alternatively large houses on the canal - moor your boat at the bottom of your garden: $1.25m - $3m.
Yacht / boating club, low crime. Decent schools. Vibrant cafe society. Excellent restaurants.
Brisbane 35 - 50 mins depending on traffic / time of day.

Obviously I am biased as I live here. Best move I have made. Everyone who lives here loves it and people only move because of new jobs elsewhere.

With the new bridge they are going to build connecting to the Bruce Highway, coupled with redevelopment schemes across the Redcliffe Peninsular the area will become even more desirable.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
Wendy's right. They don't care about anything else other than if you pass or fail. You'd be expected to pass the medical just like everyone else, your money or future impact on the economy will have no bearing.
With that much money I bet you will pass the medical with flying colours...every doctor has their price....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:28 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
With that much money I bet you will pass the medical with flying colours...every doctor has their price....
I suppose that's true. But even if you could find a doctor to pass the medical you would still have to go through the LCU and be reviewed there. That may be a bit more difficult to bypass.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:59 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yep 2 million would be nowhere enough to get what you want, sounds like you certainly need acerage, having been on that, can assure you its no guarantee of escaping yobby aussie neighbours money does not buy class

Waterfront acerage with 10 mill, can see that would be out of the question in Syd, Melb and Bris, but rural centres like HB you could probably buy a small community and it has a big hospital.

North qld perhaps, stonking humidity in summer but should be plenty of coastline up there, big hosps in rockhampton, cairns etc
From what I've heard anyone with acreage seems to have lads tearing around on bikes all over the place making a hell of a racket!! Had that, never again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.