Reload this Page >

Best place to sell car?

Wikiposts

Best place to sell car?

Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to sell car?

Can anyone recommend the best palce to sell a car in the last few days before leaving? Have thought about Loot, Autotrader, Exchange & Mart, etc, but does anyone know which of these are likely to be most effective? What about other options like auctions or selling to a dealer?

By the way, I'm not talking luxury car here, just an old clapped out M-reg Mondeo, worth about £1000.

Thanks,
Ben
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place to sell car?

Originally posted by Ben.M
Can anyone recommend the best palce to sell a car in the last few days before leaving? Have thought about Loot, Autotrader, Exchange & Mart, etc, but does anyone know which of these are likely to be most effective? What about other options like auctions or selling to a dealer?

By the way, I'm not talking luxury car here, just an old clapped out M-reg Mondeo, worth about £1000.

Thanks,
Ben

Probably the best bet is your local rag, as no-one is going to travel to buy a £1000 car.

Andy
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:26 am
Just Joined

KJA6384 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the local friday-ad will do, another good site is Findit
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:24 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

no-one is going to travel to buy a £1000 car.
You would be surprised how many do. AutoTrader would be my suggestion, do a search on same model and mileage as yours, then price it a few £s cheaper and it will sell. Best of all you can do it online.

Auction and dealer you may as well give it away.

Also like your site http://www.benz1.com

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 4th 2003 at 2:31 am.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:32 am
WBB

yeah autotrader online is a good starting point, and if you can place an ad in the local paper aswell, you will have covered all bases.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Trying to sell mine as well - advertised in Autotrader, Exchange and Mart, Local Rag & company intranet.

Its got very very low miles in great condition, I advertised it at £2.5k less than asking and still (after 4 weeks) have no takers - I've given up and am selling it to a dealer for £3350 less than its worth in Glass' (I'll admit their estimate of its worth is probably OTT) but I just don't want to leave it in the street when I go and I don't want to give my parents the hassle of selling it.

Lesson learnt - if you have the time and the stress levels allow it (when your also dealing with house sales, visas shipping etc) get the car sold early to avoid this last min drama!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:26 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ben

Andrew has a very clapped out M reg Mondeo too. Probably more clapped out than yours as it was suggested by a car sales man that we would get more for it at the scrap yard than trade it in. I mean how rude is that?
We are selling the camper and probably Yaris now so that when we go my dad will sell the beelte on for me. I should get rid of the beetle really but I know I will get more for the Yaris. Maybe you could try a family member to help you out.

Sarah
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hi,

If it's any help I sold my car on e-bay. Got a good price as well!!

Helen
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will probably try a combination of several.

Sarah, 4 car family? Mine isn't too clapped out. Mechanically it's fine and (touch wood) very reliable but the rear bumper is slightly the worse for wear after several reversing altercations with hidden bollards! Was considering replacing it but it would probably cost more than the extra I'd get for it.

Helen, eBay is a great idea! Never thought of selling a car on it although I did sell a timeshare recently. Just had a quick look and although there are lots of bids not many, Mondeo's at least, seem to reach their reserve prices. I guess though you could put a reserve of whatever a dealer would pay for it and anything over this would be a bonus.

Will probably put it in Autotrader, Loot (as it's free) and the local paper and on eBay at the same time. If it sells then I'll withdraw it from eBay, otherwise hopefully it will sell there even if at a low price. I don't have any close family here or anyone I would inflict with trying to see a car for me!

Thanks again,
Ben
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I would put a sign in your car, that's free of charge.

I intend to put a sign in my car, from every angle, back and side etc.

Post it up in work on all the billboards

get the cheapest ad in the local rag at first then

the autotrader etc if all else fails

Ebay ! now why did I never think of that

XX
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:25 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ben,

We sold our car at below book price before we left, but we just cut our losses rather than leave it behind for someone else to mither with. We used the local paper, which netted a few calls and the eventual sale. I wouldn't bother with autotrader personally - only newish stuff seems to go quickly. You may have more luck with ebay.....I'd try Loot, or put a card up in the local supermarket advertising it for sale. You are a bit handy with websites - advertise it for sale on a web page - though it may take longer than you have for the Metatags to be picked up......

good luck either way, regards, Rich.