Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids & headlice, be warned!

Kids & headlice, be warned!

Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids & headlice, be warned!

With the hot weather approaching, those of you already here will have noticed the numbers of insects increasing (especially flies as on another thread!) Unfortunately, headlice appear to breed just as rapidly too, and I'm certain they're a bit bigger than their UK cousins. This time last year one of my daughters was unlucky enough to get headlice, I noticed her itching and ran the electronic nit comb through, and was astonished/disgusted to zap 200 of the buggers! A dose of lice attack shampoo killed off another 100 plus all the eggs, gross! How she hadn't felt them crawling about I'll never know. Something to keep on top of Mums! Important to point out also that over here, children are excluded from school if the teacher discovers headlice and not allowed back until successfully treated.

Right, how many of you are scratching your heads right now?!! :-))
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kids & headlice, be warned!

Originally posted by Jacqui
With the hot weather approaching, those of you already here will have noticed the numbers of insects increasing (especially flies as on another thread!) Unfortunately, headlice appear to breed just as rapidly too, and I'm certain they're a bit bigger than their UK cousins. This time last year one of my daughters was unlucky enough to get headlice, I noticed her itching and ran the electronic nit comb through, and was astonished/disgusted to zap 200 of the buggers! A dose of lice attack shampoo killed off another 100 plus all the eggs, gross! How she hadn't felt them crawling about I'll never know. Something to keep on top of Mums! Important to point out also that over here, children are excluded from school if the teacher discovers headlice and not allowed back until successfully treated.

He he, of course they are bigger and better than the UK ones, isnt everything

Seriously, just gum up your kids hair with cheap hair gel, it stops them getting a grip, easiest solution I have found. Thankfully QLD can exclude them too, changed a year or so ago, however all that usually happens is a note is sent home about head lice in the class.

Itch scratch
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:31 am
WBB

Originally posted by dotty
Seriously, just gum up your kids hair with cheap hair gel, it stops them getting a grip
bit difficult when your daughters hair is down to her arse.

we find the best way with longer hair is to tie it up in tight bunches, the little critters move on to easier pickings.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:11 am
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

I comb my daughter's hair with a nit comb every time I wash it (every night or at least every other). My son has never had nits but I've caught 1 or 2 on my daughter's head. She's never had an infestation of them. So when we move I'll just carry on doing what I do over here.

Kara
Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:48 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a plague of the little swines here at the moment; I use teatree oil shampoo which has kept them at bay for bout 6 months now, and comb her (long) hair through witha nit comb once a fortnight -she is the only one in her class not to have them at the moment!
And yes, I am itching!!!!!!!!!

sue
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:45 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

My daughter caught the likkle buggers some months ago so i washed her hair with neem oil shampoo then put a sachet of aussie miracle conditioning trreatment in her hair, i found this seemes to paralyse the lice and are easier to get out.
Another thing i do is get a bottle of baby oil and add tea tree, lavender, geranium and rosemary ( couple of drops each) then comb through...this seems to do the trick...just remember to shampoo 1st before adding water to rinse oil out..
:lecture:
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:57 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default .

Vinegar works too........ you just stink ov fish n chips tho........ but some of the treatments available honk just as bad!!!!!!!

boomers
xxxxxxx
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:19 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

As a teacher I wish children would get excluded when they have headlice. Sounds harsh I know but it's the same kids over and over who come in alive. If they had to go home I think it would shame the parents into doing something about it. 2nd day back to school and I have had to send letters out already as one of my repeat offenders has great big juicy friends. A cheap conditioner and a nit comb also does the trick. Comb through after every wash and nits should stay away. Nit comb fractures the egg, which prevents it from happening. I do this myself once a week as ocassionaly one of my little darlings gets me.

Sarah
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:54 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi teach,
I don't think I'll tell my wife about this thread, she would do her nut:scared:

She has lovely long hair and I don't think she would like the idea of head lice.

Bye
Markeh