Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best place to live in sydney?

best place to live in sydney?

Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default best place to live in sydney?

Anybody any idea of the best ares to live in sydney? I'm looking for somewhere that isn't too far from a nice beach, the city or area with good amenities and that a teacher and travel agent can afford (don't want to be in a tiny, crappy one bed apartment! Such a place probably doesn't exist but if it does can someone tell me where/ best areas to find all this?
thank 4 any advice
lisa
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best place to live in sydney?

Originally Posted by lisas
I'm looking for somewhere that isn't too far from a nice beach, the city or area with good amenities and that a teacher and travel agent can afford (don't want to be in a tiny, crappy one bed apartment! Such a place probably doesn't exist
Sydney + affordable + beach + city + close proximity dont go together.

Sydney + affordable = long way from city or closer but not great amenities.

What's your main priority? And does it have to be Sydney?

A lovely one bed apartment in Fairy Bower/Manly could give u everything u want....not sure of the $$$

What about northern beaches? ie quite some way north...not commutable to the city/North Sydney (unless u leave at 6.30 every day).
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Sydney + affordable + beach + city + close proximity dont go together.

Sydney + affordable = long way from city or closer but not great amenities.

What's your main priority? And does it have to be Sydney?

A lovely one bed apartment in Fairy Bower/Manly could give u everything u want....not sure of the $$$

What about northern beaches? ie quite some way north...not commutable to the city/North Sydney (unless u leave at 6.30 every day).
Thanks. Prob would have to commute to city for best job prospects. Don't want too long a commute prob 30-50 mins max so looks like we will have to settle for small accomodation if we want everything syd has to offer.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Prob would have to commute to city for best job prospects. Don't want too long a commute prob 30-50 mins max so looks like we will have to settle for small accomodation if we want everything syd has to offer.

Coogee/clovelly/maroubra might be ok for u - good bus links into the city.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:20 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Anybody any idea of the best ares to live in sydney? I'm looking for somewhere that isn't too far from a nice beach, the city or area with good amenities and that a teacher and travel agent can afford (don't want to be in a tiny, crappy one bed apartment! Such a place probably doesn't exist but if it does can someone tell me where/ best areas to find all this?
thank 4 any advice
lisa
Don't want much then Lisa

To tick all those boxes might require a lot of patience and some searching after you have got out here.

There are good, and not so good, areas both north and south of the CBD and this has almost certainly been covered a few times in this forum - suggest you put up a search and all will be revealed. What suits someone may not someone else etc

The rental sections of www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au are also good for getting a general feel for prices etc.

Good luck

Jim
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

thank 4 any advice
lisa
The eastern suburbs fits all your requirements and is not too expensive for renters - that's as long as you don't mind living in an apartment. It's only when you come to buy property here that it gets extortionate. There are plenty of teachers and real estate agents in this area . Not everyone who lives here is a millionaire.

You should be able to get a decent 2 b/r apartment in a suburb like Bondi Junction, Waverley, Randwck etc (ie. one suburb back from the beaches) in the low $300's (per week). If you can afford more then you'd get a nice one right by the beaches. Go a bit further south to Maroubra/Malabar and you get more for your money.

The east is great - you have the beaches, fantastic shopping at Bondi Junction, more cafes and restaurants than you can poke a stick at, plus proximity to the harbour and CBD. Can't go wrong around here....
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyc
The eastern suburbs fits all your requirements and is not too expensive for renters - that's as long as you don't mind living in an apartment. It's only when you come to buy property here that it gets extortionate. There are plenty of teachers and real estate agents in this area . Not everyone who lives here is a millionaire.

You should be able to get a decent 2 b/r apartment in a suburb like Bondi Junction, Waverley, Randwck etc (ie. one suburb back from the beaches) in the low $300's (per week). If you can afford more then you'd get a nice one right by the beaches. Go a bit further south to Maroubra/Malabar and you get more for your money.

The east is great - you have the beaches, fantastic shopping at Bondi Junction, more cafes and restaurants than you can poke a stick at, plus proximity to the harbour and CBD. Can't go wrong around here....

I agree with you here. I live in Manly and its great to be close to the beach, but you do pay $400 for a 2 bedder which is a decent one and if you commute to the city it will take about 40-50 mins, but a lot of people do it.

Depends if you want a big social/nightlife, which the eastern suburbs can definitely offer.

If you do decide to go to the eastern suburbs, I know a couple of people who live there who I can introduce you to.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I agree with you here. I live in Manly and its great to be close to the beach, but you do pay $400 for a 2 bedder which is a decent one and if you commute to the city it will take about 40-50 mins, but a lot of people do it.

Depends if you want a big social/nightlife, which the eastern suburbs can definitely offer.

If you do decide to go to the eastern suburbs, I know a couple of people who live there who I can introduce you to.
thanks everyone for the good advice. That certainly gives me a lot to think about. We are going over to sydney in a few weeks for a look round b4 the final move in jan. feel i will now be more focused and can check out all these areas to see which is best suited to us.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to butt in here but I live in Manly, I can get the 7.35am jetcat and be in the big smoke before 8am.....problem?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

I have been here 7 months, I done my due diligence of where to live extensively, i mean extensively, i have come to the conclusion best place tpo live is eastern suburbs. We have just moved to a terrace on Paddington, 2 bed with small space outside, it is close to Bronte which we go to and I can walk to work in CBD. It is close to bars and resturants of darlinghurst and surry hills. Bondi junction is so close for shopping as well.

Walking to work is great.

We pay aussie 540 per week, my girlfirend and i live there, if it helps, we live on my one salary aussie 90k per year no problem, my girlfiend does not work, just goes to the beach and relaxes. We can live in sydney no problem on this salary. I guess you both earn over this together.

Look Eastern Suburbs my advice. We looked a lot arounf the beaches of Bronte, Cogeee, but to quite and not much going on.

If you are into urban lifestyle, live darlinghurst, Surry Hills.

Good luck and note the rental market is tightening in sydney, so there is competion for rentals. Make sure you get your application in early.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
I have been here 7 months, I done my due diligence of where to live extensively, i mean extensively, i have come to the conclusion best place tpo live is eastern suburbs. We have just moved to a terrace on Paddington, 2 bed with small space outside, it is close to Bronte which we go to and I can walk to work in CBD. It is close to bars and resturants of darlinghurst and surry hills. Bondi junction is so close for shopping as well.

Walking to work is great.

We pay aussie 540 per week, my girlfirend and i live there, if it helps, we live on my one salary aussie 90k per year no problem, my girlfiend does not work, just goes to the beach and relaxes. We can live in sydney no problem on this salary. I guess you both earn over this together.

Look Eastern Suburbs my advice. We looked a lot arounf the beaches of Bronte, Cogeee, but to quite and not much going on.

If you are into urban lifestyle, live darlinghurst, Surry Hills.

Good luck and note the rental market is tightening in sydney, so there is competion for rentals. Make sure you get your application in early.
thx for your advice, it was really informative

lisas