Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to live with little ones in Oz

Best place to live with little ones in Oz

Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Adrienne88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to live with little ones in Oz

Hi there I'm completely new got this so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. For around 5 year myself and my partner have looked at making the move down under, we have friends in yanchep WA and so ideally would be looking at that area initially to settle with friends. However I've read afew reviews and it seems maybe alittle out the way. I have 3 young children 7, 4 and 2 and so need somewhere close to good schools and also close to amenities. Can anyone recommend any areas in and around yanchep that have good facilities, schools etc and also we have 70k To get us started so maybe rent initially then look to buy once we've settled abit more. Work wise my partner is a site foreman and I'm a phlebotomist which is on the skilled workers lists so I'm hopeful we would get work.

initially for us it's just about trying to settle for the first few months and just seeing how things go. Hopefully for the first few months we will live from our savings and see how we like it. Would that be a good idea? Is that how people do it? Sorry for all the questions I'm just really unsure how it all works. I've looked and looked into the process but I would just like honest opinions on the area and living the lifestyle. Anyone whos made the move from Ilkeston Derbyshire? That's my home town id like to know if you'd come back, any similarities. Any help please xx
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to live with little ones in Oz

Originally Posted by Adrienne88
Hi there I'm completely new got this so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. For around 5 year myself and my partner have looked at making the move down under, we have friends in yanchep WA and so ideally would be looking at that area initially to settle with friends. However I've read afew reviews and it seems maybe alittle out the way. I have 3 young children 7, 4 and 2 and so need somewhere close to good schools and also close to amenities. Can anyone recommend any areas in and around yanchep that have good facilities, schools etc and also we have 70k To get us started so maybe rent initially then look to buy once we've settled abit more. Work wise my partner is a site foreman and I'm a phlebotomist which is on the skilled workers lists so I'm hopeful we would get work.

initially for us it's just about trying to settle for the first few months and just seeing how things go. Hopefully for the first few months we will live from our savings and see how we like it. Would that be a good idea? Is that how people do it? Sorry for all the questions I'm just really unsure how it all works. I've looked and looked into the process but I would just like honest opinions on the area and living the lifestyle. Anyone whos made the move from Ilkeston Derbyshire? That's my home town id like to know if you'd come back, any similarities. Any help please xx
You first have to verify that you qualify for a visa. The rest is irrelevant without a way to move to Australia.

As for Yanchep, it is most definitely out of the way. I live 20 minutes south of Yanchep and my suburb is the end of the line as far as services go. The trains stop here, so if you want public transport it's either a bus every 30-45 minutes to the station or a 20 minute drive. There's one grocery store in Yanchep (next closest is here in Butler), a couple of small shops and not much else.

As for work, you really should be looking at www.seek.com.au for where you might find work. However the visa is the first step.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Adrienne88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. I've looked online and had a reply from a visa application company who says we both qualify so do I apply through Aus visa directly? Or What's the best way to apply?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. I've looked online and had a reply from a visa application company who says we both qualify so do I apply through Aus visa directly? Or What's the best way to apply?
Hi there...welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our Main Australia forum as the people who post in that forum are best placed to help you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 12:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

www.immi.gov.au is the official site. "Immigration companies" are happy to tell you that you qualify for a visa. However the official government site is the only official source.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I know people that are Phlebotomists, they are always complaining about their wage. which tops out at circa 54,000 AUD..... (The Australian average wage is circa 75K) I couldn't find it on the skills list. Hopefully, you come under a different header here? I'd be very wary of that Visa Application lot if I were you. You could be coming to work in a field that carries far less value than the UK. Generally speaking, it's a standard hours job here and carries no Shift Penalties (allowances) to boost the wages as well.

Phlebotomist wage

Australian skills qualification list.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 28th 2018 at 7:00 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I know people that are Phlebotomists, they are always complaining about their wage. which tops out at circa 54,000 AUD..... (The Australian average wage is circa 75K) I couldn't find it on the skills list. Hopefully, you come under a different header here? I'd be very wary of that Visa Application lot if I were you. You could be coming to work in a field that carries far less value than the UK. Generally speaking, it's a standard hours job here and carries no Shift Penalties (allowances) to boost the wages as well.

Phlebotomist wage

Australian skills qualification list.
Agreed. Phlebotomy pays crap wages. That's if you can get a job.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I can only echo the above. Salary for Phlebotomy work in WA at least is rather low. (if you can get it) Pay is under $32 an hour so something worth considering before getting too committed. Yanchep is not a place I would hardly ever visit, besides the beach, is very limited. A number of UK born folk do live in that area though. But it is a long way to travel in the case of work for example.
One needs to add up all the costs surrounding the venture. I mean if employing a migration agent or not, (you can do it yourself) fares, initial costs of setting up. Perth, is hardly a cheap place. Of course, having friends here can ease the burden, but one should be aware not to 'over stay' a welcome.
I suspect, before concerning yourself about the best place to settle with 'little ones', a lot more thought has to go into more practical issues. Good luck in your research and sorry to appear negative. Just best to be forewarned and arrive with eyes fully opened.
'
Old Aug 31st 2018, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, hope your good to? I agree with Dorothy, you must first look at your visass before anything else really, when you have them arranged then you can start to look at areas etc, you really need to look where your line of work is and also what suits your families lifestyle as what may suit your friend may not suit you. We always thought we would be heading "north of the river" and to the left of the Mitchell freeway but when we arrived in Perth and had a few weeks looking around the areas we settled south of the river, which really did surprise us as for 12 months prior to our arrival we were sure we would be in certain suburbs we thought sounded ideal for us, we did not mind areas up to Karrinyup but we did feel a bit squashed in (our thiughts anyway) what I am trying to say is do your homework (I am sure you will do anyway) look at areas you really can/could afford in the near future, areas that.have facilities you enjoy and schools that you like the look/feel and sound of, you really can only do this when you are actually in perth and get a feel for the "place" if you choose to be in an area where you do not know anyone do not worry so much about that (daunting as it might sound) as you will meet people soon enough especially with young children. Good look with everything x

​​
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Visa is the first step. "Qualifying" is a very loose word in immigration. You may "qualify" to enter into the pool, but be nowhere near the current points totals that are being drawn. Have you had a look at the points calculator, and what points are you on?

The first step of the visa process is the skills assessment. When you get a positive skills assessment - then it becomes serious, you have proven that there is a possibility (even a probability) this can happen, and then you can start looking at "little ones" etc. The skills assessment is not cheap, but is only a fraction of the cost of what the whole move will take. So when you do a skills assessment you are not only demonstrating the viability of your immigration case but also that you are willing to make the financial commitment to make it happen. Because if you blanche at $700 for a skills assessment . . .

I realise that talking about skills assessments, visas etc is not as sexy or exciting as talking about what suburb to move to or what kindy to look at. But it's really a waste of time to do that before a skills assessment, at minimum.