Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Economy flights - your opinions please

Best Economy flights - your opinions please

Old May 10th 2006, 12:42 pm
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best Economy flights - your opinions please

Thanks everyone for your opinions. This really is a great forum, and I have learned a lot from it - as well as having a few laughs too !

I think we will probably go with Emirates / Singapore / Malaysian - whichever is the best value at the time (hopefully later this year when we have sold our property)

Cheers, Theresa
Old May 10th 2006, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Thanks for the info Wendy (just nipping in on this thread!), would never have thought about using asda for flights but when checking them there they are about £70-80 cheaper than expedia for the exact same flight.
Clairex
I thought the asda link was a joke ... ...lol
Old May 10th 2006, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I thought the asda link was a joke ... ...lol
I know you did.

Actually it was quite serious, they have so far beat all the prices I have checked for different dates and routes.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Thanks for the info Wendy (just nipping in on this thread!), would never have thought about using asda for flights but when checking them there they are about £70-80 cheaper than expedia for the exact same flight.
Clairex
I only looked at them because they sent me an e-mail the other day ( I use their internet shopping ), or I wouldn't have thought of them either.

Good job I'm nosy or I wouldn't have even looked
Old May 10th 2006, 2:20 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by keep smiling
I think we will probably go with Emirates / Singapore / Malaysian - whichever is the best value at the time (hopefully later this year when we have sold our property)

Cheers, Theresa
IMO that's the most sensible option - all 3 are good so price is the overriding factor. Personally of the three I've only flown Emirates and Malaysian and found Malaysion to be significantly better, more leg room and more comfortable seats. I don't pay much attention to in flight entertainment though I'm happy with a book .
Martyn
Old May 10th 2006, 3:10 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

When this particular issue comes up - and it does on a regular basis - I always extol the virtues of Malaysian Airlines and I see no reason to change that opinion now. They always seem to go the "extra mile" to make you actually feel like a human being - IMO.

My wife has recently had to revisit UK at short notice and the only "half sensible" priced flight that she could get was with Emirates on their 2 leg Sydney-Dubai (14+ hours) and Dubai-LHR (7+ hours) and it was full on both legs. She also reckoned they were not so good on the little things that make such a difference on the long leg ie plenty of juice, water etc in the middle of the night. She didn't see any cabin crew for nearly 3 hours

Jim
Old May 10th 2006, 3:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best Economy flights - your opinions please

Air new Zealand give you 46kg each luggage allowance.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 10th 2006, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of those decisions that everyone has an opinion on, and everyones opinion is going to be different, based on their experiences.
Personally I won't touch Emirates with a barge pole (or an ice pole or any other sort of pole) unless I'm desperate.

In order of personal preference -
1) Cathay - used twice
2) Lauda Air/Austrian Air - once
3) Qantas - 5 times
4) Malaysian - once
5) Emi - rats - once
Old May 10th 2006, 3:55 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your opinions. This really is a great forum, and I have learned a lot from it - as well as having a few laughs too !

Cheers, Theresa

We have just used Malaysia Airlines for the first time when we went to Langkawi and onto Sydney, and we wouldn't use them again for a longhaul flight.

Although Malaysian might be cheaper, we're sticking with BA next time, although I still think Quantas and Virgin are also very good value for money.

Nicky
Old May 10th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WendyC
I know you did.

Actually it was quite serious, they have so far beat all the prices I have checked for different dates and routes.
Thanks Wendy - you are about a week to late with that juicy titbit!

Sue :
Old May 10th 2006, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WendyC
I know you did.

Good old Asda eh! ..... not sure if they deliver the groceries tho ...
Old May 10th 2006, 11:13 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We have flown to and from England using 4 airlines they were Singapore, BA, QANTAS and Emirates I would put them in the following order using comfort, food and entertainment as the main scoring factors.

1) Singapore
2) Emirates
3) BA & QANTAS.

TT

I am a bit confused by all the conflicting opinions - and yes, I know everyone has their own experience, but what airline should we go for (just the 2 of us) I have read up on seat pitches, food, entertainment etc. and each airline has its own good/bad points. Also, are there any seats we should avoid ? I have looked at various websites on this too, but nothing beats real experiences. We thought about business class, but don´t know if it is really worth all the extra money for just a one-off flight if we can get a decent economy one.

Sorry, I know this sort of question has been asked many times....
Thanks everyone
Old May 11th 2006, 12:26 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

You really cant go wrong with Emirates, especially as the flight times are really good, plenty of room, and decent food.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

When this particular issue comes up - and it does on a regular basis - I always extol the virtues of Malaysian Airlines and I see no reason to change that opinion now. They always seem to go the "extra mile" to make you actually feel like a human being - IMO.

My wife has recently had to revisit UK at short notice and the only "half sensible" priced flight that she could get was with Emirates on their 2 leg Sydney-Dubai (14+ hours) and Dubai-LHR (7+ hours) and it was full on both legs. She also reckoned they were not so good on the little things that make such a difference on the long leg ie plenty of juice, water etc in the middle of the night. She didn't see any cabin crew for nearly 3 hours

Jim
Next time you are flying, have a look around you and there will be a button to press, whereupon a steward will appear and you say I would like a drink please.

Another trick of the trade experienced travellers pick up is that when you are walking around (either to visit the loo or as part of your anti-DVT precautions) you poke your head in the bit where the stewards are and you ask for a snack, an ice cream, a drink, a newspaper etc. When the meals are served and they ask you what you would like to drink you ask for more than one thing. If you are sitting next to someone who doesn't want a drink, ask them to request one (for you). A further trick is that when the stewards do go around with the tray you ask for 2 drinks (one for you and one for Ron - lateRon).

Obviously I'm being facetious but point made? Just ask for goodness sake on any airline, don't get off saying we didn't get a drink or see a steward for 3 hours!

OzTennis
Old May 11th 2006, 8:47 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Next time you are flying, have a look around you and there will be a button to press, whereupon a steward will appear and you say I would like a drink please.

Another trick of the trade experienced travellers pick up is that when you are walking around (either to visit the loo or as part of your anti-DVT precautions) you poke your head in the bit where the stewards are and you ask for a snack, an ice cream, a drink, a newspaper etc. When the meals are served and they ask you what you would like to drink you ask for more than one thing. If you are sitting next to someone who doesn't want a drink, ask them to request one (for you). A further trick is that when the stewards do go around with the tray you ask for 2 drinks (one for you and one for Ron - lateRon).

Obviously I'm being facetious but point made? Just ask for goodness sake on any airline, don't get off saying we didn't get a drink or see a steward for 3 hours!

OzTennis
Be fair - they might have been on a ghost plane woooooo - spooky :scared:

No crew at all just a faint crackle from the radio.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.