Best climate

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best climate

Perth or Adelaide seem to best suit your needs. Your plane will be handy too because of the remoteness of Perth (closer to Singapore than Canberra)! Only joking 'sandgropers'

OzTennis
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
I`d go for Melbourne for the best overall weather, with a decent amount of green and sun. Am I wrong?

Yes.

I've spent two winters in Melbourne. Hmmm, now I may be bitter because I was sent over by my company, and so missed two summers in the UK just to experience winters in Melbourne. But the words, cold, windy, rainy, dull, foggy, stormy, wet, all leap to mind. Melbourne in winter reminded me of a crap autumn in Dublin

It also gets dark really early in Melbourne in winter. I had to laugh at one of my australian colleagues berating the UK, because it got dark so early. Its THE SAME in Melbourne. Its dark by 5-5:30 in winter.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:00 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by poz999
Can anyone offer us any advice on an area that is relatively warm and dry, most of the year?
"Relatively warm" - relative to the UK, that'd be almost anywhere in Aus.

Beware of ending up somewhere too hot. It's all too easy to look at the historical data and pick somewhere that looks warm most of the time, but you may find that the heat gets to you.

Most people get lethargic as the mercury rises above 25c. If you're looking to do stuff outdoors then excess heat will not help.

I personally prefer a temperate climate so that I can look forward to the seasons changing. Autumn is coming now and some much needed rain is on the way. Having started hobby farming in Aus I do a lot of outdoor work/play and find I can get far more done comfortably in the cooler months than in the heat of summer.

Even in the coldest months you can work or play outdoors in South Australia on most days - sunbathe and swim ? - no, but it's great weather for being outdoors.

When looking at weather stats, beware also of the "clear days" figures. Lots of days of clear skies might sound great but you'll be wishing for a cloud to come along and stop your skin burning after a while.

http://www.hartill.net/links.html#weather
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

No one has mentioned Tasmania yet- i wonder why ??? !!!!!

Nat
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes.

I've spent two winters in Melbourne. Hmmm, now I may be bitter because I was sent over by my company, and so missed two summers in the UK just to experience winters in Melbourne. But the words, cold, windy, rainy, dull, foggy, stormy, wet, all leap to mind. Melbourne in winter reminded me of a crap autumn in Dublin

It also gets dark really early in Melbourne in winter. I had to laugh at one of my australian colleagues berating the UK, because it got dark so early. Its THE SAME in Melbourne. Its dark by 5-5:30 in winter.

Cheers,
JTL
The winter in Melb may be miserable but it's not as long as here in the UK & it gets dark here by 4pm not 5.30. That's a big difference in my book.

Not defensive at all, but I'm going home to Melb after 16yrs here, & looking forward to it.
I must admit I would've rather arrived in Jan as originally planned & not May & had to endure another few months of winter weather. Sadly, house sales can't be relied on. :scared:
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. A place that's dry most of the year is going to be short of water and that's not too much fun. You could always try Alice Springs?

2. Two-thirds of Australia lies outside the tropics and hence summer in these parts is warmer than winter. If you want a warm winter, you'll need to accept a pretty hot and/or humid summer (eg Brisbane).

3. Within the tropics it's a little simpler in most places - hot and dry for 4-6 months of the year, hot and wet (and humid) for the other half.

4. If you like dry weather then Perth, Adelaide or Canberra will probably suit best, although bear in mind the winter is nicest in Perth compared to the other two (Canberra is cold in winter).

Jeremy
This is probably the best description I've seen. However, people moan on about the humidity in Brissie. It is not that bad and nothing as bad as Singapore or Bankok. I'd go for Brissie as you are closer to other cities and there is loads to do.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes.

Cheers,
JTL
In winter, bad light suspends tennis play just before 4.00 pm in Scotland and schoolchildren are walking out into fading light at 3.30 pm.

Glasgow is 56 degrees north latitude; Melbourne is 38 degrees south latitude. The upside is that tennis goes on until nearly 10.00 pm in the middle of summer!

OzTennis
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
However, people moan on about the humidity in Brissie. It is not that bad and nothing as bad as Singapore or Bankok.
No, the humidity in Brisbane isnt anything if you compare it to Singapore etc, but for alot of people from the UK it can be very uncomfortable! Dagboy has been here for 4 years & he still drips sweat constanly from Dec-Feb. Remember, this year has been exceptionally dry & a very mild summer, so has been alot less hot & certainly a hell of a lot less humid than it normally is for this time of the year.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Mar 2nd 2005 at 8:49 pm. Reason: cant type to save my life!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:46 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by natty
No one has mentioned Tasmania yet- i wonder why ??? !!!!!

Nat
Yes it gets cold in winter but atleast it never gets too hot in summer,very few days above 30c. If you live in Perth or Brisbane there would be many days where it would be too hot to go horse riding.
Tassie looks like a nice place for horse riding, Click the link below.

www.milamba.com/australia/States/tas/bayof.htm

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:29 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in the aviation industry and teach trainee pilots and aviation students. Sydney has great weather for flying - a mediteranean climate. When it rains here it tends to rain all at once, as opposed to UK-style drizzle. Weather is much worse than Melbourne, which is not so good for flying becuase the weather is (famously) changeable and unpredictable. I've known the wether there to change from 30deg to 13deg and floods within a few days while I was there. Never been to Perth, but probably very good for flying due to low traffic density and good weather. Brisbane and further north is too hot and humid for me, and asd you venture into the tropics you will get far more rain obviously.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Sydney has great weather for flying - a mediteranean climate. When it rains here it tends to rain all at once, as opposed to UK-style drizzle.
A Mediterranean climate generally means a cool, wet winter and a hot, dry summer. Sydney's climate, with more rain in summer and a relatively dry winter, is nothing like that and is verging on the sub-tropical.

Perth and Adelaide have 'Mediterranean' climates.

Jeremy
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:29 am
Badge

Originally Posted by JAJ
A Mediterranean climate generally means a cool, wet winter and a hot, dry summer. Sydney's climate, with more rain in summer and a relatively dry winter, is nothing like that and is verging on the sub-tropical.

Perth and Adelaide have 'Mediterranean' climates.

Jeremy
Sydney is interesting, it is well below the sub tropical official line - which is more like at Coff's/Port Macquarie but it does feels more tropical..esp in the summer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sydney get darker before Melbourne in the winter. or, at least it's summer dusk time is closer to its winter dusk time as it is closer to the equator...

I think I answered my own question: (!) if London gets the extremes -4pm (winter) and 10pm (summer) then I guess Melbourne further to the pole would get more extremes than Sydney and so get darker sooner..in the winter....

making up for it in the summer..(!)

Badge

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:24 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poz999
Hi everyone
This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right!
We (Me, my wife and baby) are applying to migrate to Australia (136 visa) and hope to go Jan 2007. Right now I am trying to find the right state and climate is right at the top of the important list.
Can anyone offer us any advice on an area that is relatively warm and dry, most of the year?
We are outdoor type of people but hate the rain. My passion is flying light aircraft and my wife horse riding. Both of which are no fun in bad weather.
Whilst on the subject of flying, has anyone any advice on the best state/city to be based for this hobby?
Many thanks
Dan
HI dan, South Australia has some of the best flying conditions in the world. hence www.waikerieglidingclub.com.au about 30km away is a private strip that caters to ultra lights, and kit planes................... mm
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:15 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney is further east than Melbourne as well as further north, but they both have the same time by the clock. Therefore, yes, it tends to get light earlier in Sydney and also to get dark earlier.

But because of the difference in latitude, Melbourne's total daylight hours are longer in summer and shorter in winter than Sydney's - by about half an hour, I think, in mid-summer and mid-winter.

Total daylight hours and total sunshine hours are different, of course, too, and I don't know who scores best there but my guess would be Sydney, especially in the winter.

Originally Posted by Badge
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sydney get darker before Melbourne in the winter. or, at least it's summer dusk time is closer to its winter dusk time as it is closer to the equator...
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

you can also fly there- i think they are called Tasair and they do flying classes- my husband really wants to learn once we get there

Nat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.