Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best city for a stop-over

Best city for a stop-over

Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Best city for a stop-over

Hi all,
I was just wondering where people would recommend as the top city for a three-night stop en route to Melbourne.
We are a kid-free couple in our 30s and like bars , restaurants, a bit of sightseeing (although not trudging round continuously for three days ) and generally just soaking up the vibe of a place.
Price of accommodation/food/drinks could also be a consideration.

The main options appear to be Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

So if anyone could recommend any of these in particular, or any other cities that may be an option, I'd love you to share it.

Thanks
Di
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best city for a stop-over

Based on the recommendations of our travel agent we opted for Singapore,, loads of shops and things to do, plus its a lovely clean city.
He said that Kuala Lumpar isn't that great , no idea about Hong Kong!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:16 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi all,
I was just wondering where people would recommend as the top city for a three-night stop
Three nights is a long time for a stop in Singapore I think. It's about the size of Milton Keynes but a bit hotter and taller. We thought it was reasonably priced but very overcrowded.

Wouldn't do the stopover thing again it gives you stopover lag on top of your jetlag. Yuk!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:16 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I was just wondering where people would recommend as the top city for a three-night stop en route to Melbourne.
We are a kid-free couple in our 30s and like bars , restaurants, a bit of sightseeing (although not trudging round continuously for three days ) and generally just soaking up the vibe of a place.
Price of accommodation/food/drinks could also be a consideration.

The main options appear to be Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

So if anyone could recommend any of these in particular, or any other cities that may be an option, I'd love you to share it.

Thanks
Di
We have actually been to all three locations on stop overs.
Loved Hong Kong and would say for us, it's the best. So much to do in the way of sight seeing and stuff. Shopping is amazing and lots of bars are great also.

Singapore VERY clean. Orchard road shops are huge. Not so much sight seeing so you might get bored, there's only so much shopping you can do.

Kuala Lumpur is similar to Hong Kong, stopped opposite the Twin Petronas Towers, which have to be the most amazing sky scrapers in the world. Great to see, friendly city, not as clean as Singapore, not the shops (that we found) of either HK or SIN but great to visit.

Also bonus for Hong Kong is Disney (if you have kids) The Peak Tram (great views and the experience) The Star Ferry (Oh, those views). Kowloon for views of Hong Kong Island (great at night).
We stayed on the Island last visit but have stayed a few times in Kowloon also. Shopping in Mongkok is great.

Hope this helps.

Neil.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
We have actually been to all three locations on stop overs.
Loved Hong Kong and would say for us, it's the best. So much to do in the way of sight seeing and stuff. Shopping is amazing and lots of bars are great also.

Singapore VERY clean. Orchard road shops are huge. Not so much sight seeing so you might get bored, there's only so much shopping you can do.

Kuala Lumpur is similar to Hong Kong, stopped opposite the Twin Petronas Towers, which have to be the most amazing sky scrapers in the world. Great to see, friendly city, not as clean as Singapore, not the shops (that we found) of either HK or SIN but great to visit.

Also bonus for Hong Kong is Disney (if you have kids) The Peak Tram (great views and the experience) The Star Ferry (Oh, those views). Kowloon for views of Hong Kong Island (great at night).
We stayed on the Island last visit but have stayed a few times in Kowloon also. Shopping in Mongkok is great.

Hope this helps.

Neil.
Thanks for that. Very informative.
Good to hear about HK - the best price we've been offered so far for flights is with Cathay Pacific stopping there so it's definitely a likely option at the mo, although my other half seems very keen on Singapore as he's heard good things about it.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:55 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Very informative.
Good to hear about HK - the best price we've been offered so far for flights is with Cathay Pacific stopping there so it's definitely a likely option at the mo, although my other half seems very keen on Singapore as he's heard good things about it.
Singapore is nice but its not as 'rich' an experience as hong kong. In sing everything is very ordered and tidy. Hong Kong is crazy. You will enjoy either. But for things to do - and experience of 'asia' then Hong Kong is the place.

Both are totally and utterly safe, easy to get around , great shopping.

HK has the fantastic markets - night market, ladies market (not what it suggests!). The harbour, you can go to the islands. Undeground is practically free and is safe/easy to use in english. HK is the place for hooky DVD's, fake watches, all that stuff.. you will not get that in singapore. Transfer from airport in HK is via train (express - 20-30mins to city centre (Central) easy peasy to use - only has 2 stops and is directly out of the baggage carousel its real-easy even for 1st timer). Singpaore is taxi from airport to city. Both about same cost.

Signapore has ridiculuously cheap taxis and is tiny so easy to explore too.

Personally I far prefer hong kong. Far more to do / see and get feel for. If you feel like fun you can go to the expat bar areas i forget the name of the place but there is a road full of bars. Go to HK - go tot he night market or temple market or ladies market in mong-kok get there at 7pm - stay till midnight - you wont forget the experience. You could also go to macau for a spot of nightlife - (!)

Last edited by spalen; Sep 1st 2006 at 2:00 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:47 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try Bangkok? A great city. Some people dont like it. But once you actually try it. Its awsome. So much going on. Any more info you need then feel free to ask. You will get peoploe who say Bangkok is smelly busy etc. Yes it is. But so much going on andf well cheaper tahn your other options. Just my opinion of course.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Why not try Bangkok? A great city. Some people dont like it. But once you actually try it. Its awsome. So much going on. Any more info you need then feel free to ask. You will get peoploe who say Bangkok is smelly busy etc. Yes it is. But so much going on andf well cheaper tahn your other options. Just my opinion of course.
Thanks for the advice.
I do want to go there at some point, but I don't think any airlines stop there en route to Oz and I haven't got the time flying there from another destination.
Quite fancy doing a chunk of South East Asia as a holiday once I'm in Oz though
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:56 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice.
I do want to go there at some point, but I don't think any airlines stop there en route to Oz and I haven't got the time flying there from another destination.
Quite fancy doing a chunk of South East Asia as a holiday once I'm in Oz though

Qantas /BA and others stop in Bangkok
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:03 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

was thinking the same myself.

now fancy singapore or HK (we have a very young child so will take advice on which is better - if any)

better to KL - wouldn't bother again, not that much to see, very humid, food not as great as I would have liked.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:02 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by busterboy
was thinking the same myself.

now fancy singapore or HK (we have a very young child so will take advice on which is better - if any)

better to KL - wouldn't bother again, not that much to see, very humid, food not as great as I would have liked.

I've never been to HK. But i do enjoy Singapore. Clean. Evrything is easy. Everyone speaks English. The food is fantastic. The local special black pepper crab is awsome. Smith Street has some great hawker(food) stalls.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:37 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore is lovely but Hong Kong is excellent...we did tons of shopping, star ferry at night and the night market at Mongkok is great for all the knock off bargains etc. Kids loved Disney and we spend a great afternoon there. The weather is usually pretty good too and if you dont have kids hit the nightlife in Wanchai and Lan Quai Fong..
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 2:32 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Yeah, if you can get to Bangkok then definitely go there

Not been to HK but been to Singapore and KL - both good but not a patch on Bangkok - one of my favourite places in the whole world. Amazing

Graham
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 2:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

KL is a great place but you need to be able to find your way round.

My brother in law used to live in KL so we spent a lot of time there.

The best places are not necessarily the most obvious.

there is also a lively expat contingent living there.

G
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 2:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy

Singapore is very similar to KL.

They used to be part of the same country and are not far apart so the humidity etc. are similar.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.