Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best city to get a 457?

Best city to get a 457?

Old Sep 13th 2002, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

MichaelGsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best city to get a 457?

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone knew what city is the best city for sponsorship chances? would it be Sydney because it has the most jobs or would it be more like Perth which is lacking in skilled people. I trying to find out what city to concentrate my job finding efforts in. im not in IT so lester.com wont work nor will freespirit (so they tell me). any ideas folks? Cheers
Old Sep 13th 2002, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Jonothan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best city to get a 457?

Originally posted by MichaelGsxr:
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone knew what city is the best city for sponsorship chances? would it be Sydney because it has the most jobs or would it be more like Perth which is lacking in skilled people. I trying to find out what city to concentrate my job finding efforts in. im not in IT so lester.com wont work nor will freespirit (so they tell me). any ideas folks? Cheers
We had the same thoughts but our Agent (who has been in the job a long time and has got hundreds of 457s through) said that it depends on how honest you want to be. I wouldn't recommend putting Sydney down as the general concensus with Aus Immigration is that the city is nearing saturation point. However the business plan that you put together to get your 457 is only to get hold of the visa and their is no obligation to execute it to the letter once you arrive. I got my 457 with a business plan quoting Melbourne but I will end up going to Sydney.

My recommendation is to quote any major city bar Sydney and once you get the 457 do what ever you want wherever you want in order to fulfill the permanenet residency criteria.

Be warned that 457 approvals are very quick as they are still processed in the UK (compared to Independant visas processed in Oz). Ours took 2 months from submission to approval and visas were issued 3 weeks after medicals. This is important as the clock starts ticking as soon as it is issued and you need to be prepared to move quick to get as much of the 4 years as possible.

Good Luck