Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Best' cafes Sydney and Melbourne

Wikiposts

'Best' cafes Sydney and Melbourne

Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Best' cafes Sydney and Melbourne

In case this is of interest:

http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/t...?ref=CN24MFHDS

Sydney - http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/thegrind/sydcbd.html
Melbourne - http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/t...d/melbcbd.html

Post your own favourites, other cities also!

OzTennis
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:41 am
PommieLeague

Default Re: 'Best' cafes Sydney and Melbourne

Most in Newtown, Sydney

Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:25 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by OzTennis
DON'T get me drooling. Need a decent coffee!

M

Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought it was dead across the bridge. Not found a decent Barista around Maqarie Park. Gusto which was mentioned above isn't bad. Gertrude's and Alice is great for looking at the second hand books whilst whiling the time away. The tratt which was mentioned is good for the view but food is a bit average (for Bondi).
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

At the moment the Melbourne one does not cover anywhere south of St Kilda or Windsor, nor does it cover anywhere west of the CBD e.g. Williamstown where there are many excellent cafes. Maybe CitySearch intend to extend the area of coverage. Hope they do because there are also quite a few decent cafes down the Beach Road through Brighton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris etc.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Merlot
DON'T get me drooling. Need a decent coffee!

M
Then head for Five Dock in the Inner West, where everyone speaks Italian in the shops and streets- La Deliziosa is my favourite and has wonderful Italian cakes and biscuits.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:51 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I always thought it was dead across the bridge. Not found a decent Barista around Maqarie Park. Gusto which was mentioned above isn't bad. Gertrude's and Alice is great for looking at the second hand books whilst whiling the time away. The tratt which was mentioned is good for the view but food is a bit average (for Bondi).
Totally agree about Gerties, great place to read a book and drink a spot on late. Soups are good as well.

Some nice cafes in Slater Street heading towards the centre of town.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:48 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Not exactly comprehensive, they don't even list Brunetti's in Carlton http://www.brunetti.com.au/ and they only show the Europa in St Kilda when there are tons of good cafes along Acland Street and the surrounds.

Wonder if the businesses on the site have paid to advertise on there, hence why there are so few listed.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:21 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Then head for Five Dock in the Inner West, where everyone speaks Italian in the shops and streets- La Deliziosa is my favourite and has wonderful Italian cakes and biscuits.
Don't break my heart . . . . M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Merlot
Don't break my heart . . . . M
The orange and almond crescents are the best, a light, thin, crisp outer shell and soft and squishy on the inside, the whole being lightly dusted with icing sugar, which mingles with the dusting of chocolate on the coffee as you sip between bites...

.... clang!!!!...."mmm, was that a heart I heard breaking somewhere in the distance?"
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Some lovely cafes in Williamstown along Nelson Place.

And if you like chocolate, there is a fantastic 'chocolate' cafe-shop called Koko in Carlton which sells the most lovely goodies, and has the most yummy Hot Chocolate I've ever had...

Cas
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Used to frequent Gusto's years back. Great coffees.
Any idea of good places on the north shore/northern beaches though?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:06 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by TopCat3
The orange and almond crescents are the best, a light, thin, crisp outer shell and soft and squishy on the inside, the whole being lightly dusted with icing sugar, which mingles with the dusting of chocolate on the coffee as you sip between bites...

.... clang!!!!...."mmm, was that a heart I heard breaking somewhere in the distance?"
I was going to say something awful like I hope you are sick with it all but as it is Sunday thought better of it.

Yep, it was a breaking heart

M