Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne House Prices (what area for my affordability)

The past info was on Frankston and outer CBU locations (which based on what has been contributed, is no use to me), so coming closer to CBU is probably what I need. Since that info has no been provided it is appropriate to refine the request to people (would you not agree?).
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:48 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've done a lot of looking around at Melbourne prices recently (when I've finished I'll make it available). The general theme is that your wants are slap bang in the middle of the norm - which means the prices tend to fully reflect the qualities. Close in to the CBD there are some really silly prices (London silly), and as you move out prices tend to reflect transport linkages and 'quality' of the area.

You don't say where exactly you need to be for work etc. but I'll be looking towards the Point Cook area (not good on amenities but new and sensible prices) or further down along the eastern suburb coasts such as Mentone (long journeys, but by the beach).

The trick in such circumstances is to rank your needs, then find an area that does the lower ranked areas BADLY. That way you can find an area that's 'cheap', relative to your prime requirements.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safe and less costly Suburb in Melbourne

What is your budget and what type of accommodation are you looking for?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this info....I'm coming to work at The Age Newspaper in CBD area. Have put out feedback on certain areas and found them too far out (or) been warned off train journeys. So had to refine my search for when I arrive shortly: will take your advice and put on my map to check out (thank you). Thought it was important to see what was realistic to view - as people have pin-pointed 1.5 million in certain areas and didn't want to be heartbroken when starting my serach there.
Realistic and affordable is the way to go for me.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What hours will you be working?

If "normal" office hours, then even Geelong would be within your reach.

We probably need a little more information about your family's lifestyle.

Do you like to eat out at nice restaurants several times a week/month/year?

Is an arts/alternative cinema important to you?

Do you wish to be close to a church/mosque/synagogue?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

normal office hours (I'm an Art Director), I'm originally a Sydney person who loved Paddington in Sydney - when I lived in Australia along time ago. So my thing is arts, cultural, coffee shops and music....my family for swimming pool, shops, mall and good school nearby.
So if I could make a short list of specific places that I could check out asap and is in a budget of say 600-800,000 dollars for a medium sized house.

Just want to have a plan of attack to see these areas and know that I can possibly afford to live there.

I appreciate this help from people who can advise (big step in anyone's book).

Daryl
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne House Prices (what area for my affordability)

Originally Posted by daryllee
normal office hours (I'm an Art Director), I'm originally a Sydney person who loved Paddington in Sydney - when I lived in Australia along time ago. So my thing is arts, cultural, coffee shops and music....my family for swimming pool, shops, mall and good school nearby.
So if I could make a short list of specific places that I could check out asap and is in a budget of say 600-800,000 dollars for a medium sized house.

Just want to have a plan of attack to see these areas and know that I can possibly afford to live there.

Daryl
The new "The Age" building is right next to Southern Cross station, I've just finished connecting it's data networks to the Fairfax building in Tullamarine.
On that basis you might decide to live somewhere on a train line that comes into Southern Cross.

We live in Mordialloc, the journey to Southern Cross on the train is between 35 mins and an hour depending on how express your train is. The house next door to us is on the market, 3 beds, large block, swimming pool, they want at least 600k for it, and will probably get nearer 700.

Mordialloc's a bayside suburb, we can walk to the beach and it's a big family area.

Hope that helps.

Buzzy.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

On the basis of the above, try http://www.railpage.org.au/railmaps/melbourn.htm and then look at realestate.com.au with your budget and rough area to see what's available (use the 'map' option). The 'voices' bit gives you some steer as to what an area is good for.

Cafe culture tends to come expensive in Melbourne, you need to work out if you need to live in the heart of such an area, or are happy to visit.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarryP
On the basis of the above, try http://www.railpage.org.au/railmaps/melbourn.htm and then look at realestate.com.au with your budget and rough area to see what's available (use the 'map' option). The 'voices' bit gives you some steer as to what an area is good for.

Cafe culture tends to come expensive in Melbourne, you need to work out if you need to live in the heart of such an area, or are happy to visit.
Try looking here http://www.cityhobo.com.au/ for ideas about the feel of different areas

And here www.domain.com.au for ideas about house prices.

I'd say you should probably be looking at the Northern/ Western Suburbs with your budget. Essendon might suit.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes...Melbourne has a 2-tier system. If you are a tram user then you get a service that no train user gets.

For me the train is a commute option not a lifestyle one.

Some lines are better than others - the Alamein train is visibly a lot better but it goes through the Inner E.

Never seems to amaze me how the demographic shifts as soon as you hop off the tram at Flinders and on to the platform heading out to the suburbs. The people become a lot more slack-jawed and fatter. People on the tram system just look more with it. There are always exceptions - like there will be a few people in the carriage and you can guess where they will get off - it's not just things like clothing, it's deportment etc.

I've been getting the train for almost 4 years now - even at night - and never had an issue. You do get some hyped up blokes on the middle section late at night occasionally and I did have a worrying experience last winter but it was not personally directed at me.
I used to catch Trains on the comparatively very quiet Upfield line after a night out, mostly because it's about 15-20 mins quicker than catching the Tram. I would often see situations, mostly people being loud and obnoxious, or pushing each other around or swearing at other groups. It would make me feel like reacting. I was always worried that I may end up doing just that, especially with a few drinks inside lowering my inhibitions... So best avoided for me I figured.

When you've got some idiot teenager swearing and swinging of off handrails 2 meters away from your earhole it's difficult and almost demoralising not to say something to them and their group.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Daryl
The Age (Fairfax) sometimes offers it higher level staff a relocation agent (package) - it may be worth asking them and see what they say.

As I said in my previous post - you may want to look at the Bayside area, Sandringham and down towards Mordialloc (sp?) - However, before buying in any area I would first rent there to see how it suits. Buying and not liking the area can be a very costly mistake, particularly with stamp duty being so high in Victoria.

If you find yourself a decent rental and decide to buy before your lease time is up you could always do a lease break - if the property is desirable it will go pretty quickly and you should only be a small amount out of pocket, compared to a mistake with buying.

Last edited by Hebe; Nov 30th 2009 at 1:07 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Mordialloc's a bayside suburb, we can walk to the beach and it's a big family area.

Hope that helps.

Buzzy.
Tell you what amazed me this year.... that new bus that goes from Altona to Mordialloc... Never thought I'd see that day when we got a East West Arterial bus line. They run every 12mins as well and run after 11pm.

I want to give it a go one day, just to see how it feels.... I'd say it's over an hour trip from Bell st Coburg though.

Back to OP.... I can get to beaches on the East and West side of the city in less than 40 mins from here in Coburg. We've got 4 swimming pools in our locale. Northcote, Coburg, Oak Park and Brunswick. Coburg and Oak Park are outdoor pools.... Northcote indoor and outdoor and Brunswick indoor. Whoops just remembered Coburg also has a leisure center with an Indoor pool as well. (Bob Hawke spent millions on infrastructure in this area... to make up for being a mostly absent/busy local MP)

From your postings I feel like you could be suited to a place in Northcote, a lot of professionals in that area... so you would definitely like your neighbours St Kilda beach would be 25 mins away on a quiet run. You maybe pushing the 800k mark now though.

Good schools in Northcote and very good shopping.

Just to tip the Balance to the North one more time.... this will be the deal maker.... Coburg has Melbournes last and only drive in movies Doesnt look like it will close, I think it's been heritage listed. (tounge firmly in cheek with this last paragraph).... Still there is a lot of amenity in this area.

On refelection Clifton Hill is probably your go.... But I dont think 800k will get you a decent place there now. 20 mins to St kilda beach.... out of rush hour.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 30th 2009 at 1:40 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne House Prices (what area for my affordability)

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Coburg has Melbournes last and only drive in movies Doesnt look like it will close, I think it's been heritage listed.
Sorry mate, still one at Dandenong we go to regularly! Also one at Dromana, although you could count that as not being in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Sorry mate, still one at Dandenong we go to regularly! Also one at Dromana, although you could count that as not being in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Ahaa heres what the net has to say.... I didnt know about the Luna to tell you the truth.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/coburg-drive-in-cinema/
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Hi everyone

Need advice to narrow down the area to live in Melbourne.... My wife wants to be near to shops, supermarkets and Malls and my child wants the beach and pacifically go (night swimming at a local pool)....good school recomendation in each area would be cool.
My requirements are modest - just a reasonable transport like to the CBD. Were not high rollers - the area for a middle class budget might be best for us.

Some recommend South Frankston but would this be the case to fill the above?

many thanks: Daryl
No beaches close to the city in Melbourne. Better of with living in a nice suburb and driving to the beach. Some people say St Kilda has a beach!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.