Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Re: Safe and less costly Suburb in Melbourne

Originally Posted by IndieG
What is your budget and what type of accommodation are you looking for?
Thanks for the reply IngieG. I am looking for some shared accommodation in any good suburb in Melbourne. I am single, non-smoker, non-drinker.

My budget is around AUD 75-100pw. I tried Gumtree and RealEstate but haven't received any responses yet from advertiser.

Anyone out here having a shared accommodation... I would really appreciate guys.

This forum is the best place as this is my last resort if everything else fails, BritishExpats is always there!

Thanks and my best regards!

N.B: You can even PM me if you want or just qoute/reply regarding the shared accommodation you may have. Thank you!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice
Default Re: Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping

I've come from living on a surf beach in Cornwall to living near a beach in Bayside. The beaches in Bayside are not surfing beaches, but some of them are nice (not all of them) if you want to just relax on the beach and have a dip to cool off. Also very good for young kids who don't want large waves.

I don't really see why there is snobbishness towards Melbourne beaches, we are in a colder climate city so expectations should be too high.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Gumtree is a good site for shared accommodation.

An acquaintance of mine (she is a student) just got a room for 800 pm with an Indian family in a suburb called Bundoora. That includes food and bills. I don't really know this suburb.

Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley, Glen Iris are also nice. Still cheaper, but a bit far would be Werribee.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Three threads merged.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:06 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne House Prices (what area for my affordability)

Originally Posted by daryllee
What nice area near CBD can I look to buy a medium sized family home.Price range around $600 - $800,000 - is there a nice area that has shops, mall, good schools and swimming pool and easy to travel to beach when needed.
I'm working on the basis that you require a modest 2 or 3 bedroom small house/villa/townhouse and budget will be closer to $800,000.So, I would recommend the following:

-South Melbourne - walk to The Age or 2 stops on tram. Swimming pool at Albert Park lake used in Commonwealth Games. Walk to South Melb beach or short drive. Fab mix of boutiques, cafes, bars, pubs, general shops/supermarket plus the Market. Similar vibe to Paddington. Think Albert Park primary would be your closest school. You could just about get a 2 bed weatherboard or townhouse in your price-range.
-Richmond - slightly cheaper than South Melbourne, great shops/bars/cafes, close to CBD. Cool vibe. No idea about schools. Further from beach but you could still drive to Port/South Melb/St Kilda there in circa 20 mins.
-Windsor/Prahran - you will get a 2 and maybe 3 bed townhouse within your budget. A couple of train stops and you're at the Age. Chapel Street shopping and nightlife on your doorstep and bordered by affluent South Yarra/Toorak/Armadale so excellent schools nearby. 20 mins to St Kilda beach.
-Mordiallic - others have already told you about this. Traditional family beach suburb. Longer commute, quieter, not funky but still nice.

It will take too long to do a summary for each but if you are prepared to live in a modest 2 or 3 bed townhouse/villa/one-of-a pair etc if I were you I would do a property search on the following areas which are all decent and on the train line to Southern Cross. Contrary to what some may tell you it is still possible to get a property for less than $800k if you look hard enough (getting further away from the beach though) - Brighton East/Malvern/Malvern East. For more of a commute but still nice family areas Carnegie/Bentleigh/Chadstone/Ashburton.

Hopefully others will come along who can give you info on the other sides of the city such as Kensington which might tick some boxes for you given where you will be working.

Phew, I don't know about you but I'm exhausted!!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live2learn
Thanks for the reply IngieG. I am looking for some shared accommodation in any good suburb in Melbourne. I am single, non-smoker, non-drinker.

My budget is around AUD 75-100pw. I tried Gumtree and RealEstate but haven't received any responses yet from advertiser.

Anyone out here having a shared accommodation... I would really appreciate guys.

This forum is the best place as this is my last resort if everything else fails, BritishExpats is always there!

Thanks and my best regards!

N.B: You can even PM me if you want or just qoute/reply regarding the shared accommodation you may have. Thank you!
You could try www.flatmatefinders.com.au - deals with Melbourne and Sydney. I have had clients who have used them before and been successful.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

To the original OP - if you are driving in Etihad Stadium next door to the new Age building are offering year parking cheaper than that offered in the building itself.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
I'm working on the basis that you require a modest 2 or 3 bedroom small house/villa/townhouse and budget will be closer to $800,000.So, I would recommend the following:

-South Melbourne - walk to The Age or 2 stops on tram. Swimming pool at Albert Park lake used in Commonwealth Games. Walk to South Melb beach or short drive. Fab mix of boutiques, cafes, bars, pubs, general shops/supermarket plus the Market. Similar vibe to Paddington. Think Albert Park primary would be your closest school. You could just about get a 2 bed weatherboard or townhouse in your price-range.
-Richmond - slightly cheaper than South Melbourne, great shops/bars/cafes, close to CBD. Cool vibe. No idea about schools. Further from beach but you could still drive to Port/South Melb/St Kilda there in circa 20 mins.
-Windsor/Prahran - you will get a 2 and maybe 3 bed townhouse within your budget. A couple of train stops and you're at the Age. Chapel Street shopping and nightlife on your doorstep and bordered by affluent South Yarra/Toorak/Armadale so excellent schools nearby. 20 mins to St Kilda beach.
-Mordiallic - others have already told you about this. Traditional family beach suburb. Longer commute, quieter, not funky but still nice.

It will take too long to do a summary for each but if you are prepared to live in a modest 2 or 3 bed townhouse/villa/one-of-a pair etc if I were you I would do a property search on the following areas which are all decent and on the train line to Southern Cross. Contrary to what some may tell you it is still possible to get a property for less than $800k if you look hard enough (getting further away from the beach though) - Brighton East/Malvern/Malvern East. For more of a commute but still nice family areas Carnegie/Bentleigh/Chadstone/Ashburton.

Hopefully others will come along who can give you info on the other sides of the city such as Kensington which might tick some boxes for you given where you will be working.

Phew, I don't know about you but I'm exhausted!!
Love the idea of Richmond and South Melbourne.... I've just had a look at real estate.com.au

If you can get in there under 800 K your a damn good buyer.

Melbournes getting damn expensive now.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:59 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Love the idea of Richmond and South Melbourne.... I've just had a look at real estate.com.au

Melbourne is very expensive now.

Even outer, crappy suburbs are far from cheap. If want anything approaching true affordability you have to go right out into the bush pretty much.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:08 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Not really Ozzie. As I said, South Melbourne you would be tight but could certainly get in there for $800k providing your expectations are realistic. Richmond - heaps of 2 and 3 bed townhouses and renovated weatherboards in the $650 - $800k range. Easy peasy.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Not really Ozzie. As I said, South Melbourne you would be tight but could certainly get in there for $800k providing your expectations are realistic. Richmond - heaps of 2 and 3 bed townhouses and renovated weatherboards in the $650 - $800k range. Easy peasy.
With change left over for earplugs which WILL be required as you hear your next door (and other!) neighbours' alarms go off in the morning!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till you have a good look around, there is Richmond good and expensive and Richmond cheaper and there is a reason.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:27 pm
Random Member

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
With change left over for earplugs which WILL be required as you hear your next door (and other!) neighbours' alarms go off in the morning!
Originally Posted by Petals
Wait till you have a good look around, there is Richmond good and expensive and Richmond cheaper and there is a reason.
Disagree with both of you I'm afraid. Having recently let go a 3 bed townhouse from our portfolio I can assure you that it was in a perfectly respectable street just a couple of minutes walk from the heart of Bridge Road and with no more neighbour noise than what you would find in a standard terrace in the UK (sorry to disappoint you both!)

Do you know something, there is a reason why I used to steer clear of these Melbourne property threads and I now remember why.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:41 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by markbhx
No beaches close to the city in Melbourne. Better of with living in a nice suburb and driving to the beach. Some people say St Kilda has a beach!!
l agree, why are Poms obsessed with living next to the beach?, even if its some polluted industrial semi swamp, The beaches inside Melbourne are'nt very good and its not warm enough to go swimming most of the year anyway. When l lived in Melbounre l never went to any of the beaches there, in Summer l went to the beaches in the great ocean road an hour ouside Melbounre they are much better.
Choose a nice suburb inland, maybe with a pool.

Last edited by mohogony; Dec 4th 2009 at 10:51 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
The beaches inside Melbourne are'nt very good.
Here's some not very good beaches
Attached Thumbnails Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping-img_6814.jpg   Best area in Melbourne for beach+shopping-carrum-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.