Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Default Is it beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Ok have only been around the site for a few weeks and have seen a lot of people saying how great it is out there. However I also seen quite a lot of negative stuff coming up, Heat, Flies, lack of jobs, skills not rated, etc.

I am always hearing it is a better way of life for the family and I should not hesitate in going or trying to get out there but to date I have not been able to quantify why.

Can anyone please give some real feedback why it is so beneficial covering such thing as

Work life balance
Jobs
Education
Pensions
Cost of living
House prices
Life for the kids
Future prospects
Crime Levels
Wheather
Etc Etc Etc and anything else you can think of.

Last edited by jonjon; Oct 21st 2005 at 5:54 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Originally Posted by jonjon
Ok have only been around the site for a few weeks and have seen a lot of people saying how great it is out there. However I also seen quite a lot of negative stuff coming up, Heat, Flies, lack of jobs, skills not rated, etc.

I am always hearing it is a better way of life for the family and I should not hesitate in going or trying to get out there but to date I have not been able to quantify why.

Can anyone please give some real feedback why it is so beneficial covering such thing as

Work life balance
Jobs
Education
Pensions
Cost of living
House prices
Life for the kids
Future prospects
Crime Levels
Wheather
Not a lot of help but life treats people differently and what is good for one person aint necessarily good for somebody else. The only way to find out is to try it. Myself, we are taking a massive gamble, giving up an awful lot for a very unsure future but for me it is worth the risk. Andy
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:52 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Not a lot of help but life treats people differently and what is good for one person aint necessarily good for somebody else. The only way to find out is to try it. Myself, we are taking a massive gamble, giving up an awful lot for a very unsure future but for me it is worth the risk. Andy
If you are thinking so deep then maybe its not for you
Sounds corny but listen to your heart what does it think? and of course the family!!!!

We have times when we have doubts,you'd not be human if you didn't,but deep down we know we have to give it a go.(lifes too short for regrets)

Go for it
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjon

Work life balance
Jobs
Education
Pensions
Cost of living
House prices
Life for the kids
Future prospects
Crime Levels
Wheather
You'll always regret the things you don't do more than the things you do, so if you've got that wanderlust i reckon you just have to satisfy it. We haven't got there yet, but brother in law moved out there 2 1/2 years ago, and by all accounts it's the best move they've ever made. They have 3 kids aged 8, 11 and 16. The 16 year old found it a bit harder to settle initially, but all 3 of them seem to love it now. They have a house three times the size of what they had in the UK, a big garden with a pool, and some amazing wildlife. The work home balance seems to be great too.

The weather will differ dependant on where you settle, it is so different in every city.

In terms of future prospects, they have to be better, if you have an entrepreneurial streak, or even if you don't in fact, I think there will be more opportunities for the taking than there are here.

So many of the questions you are asking will be dependat on the area you choose in Oz, but a lot of it will also be depeadant on what you are looking for in life as well. For me, I figure I am lucky to have this opportunity so I am going to go for it - just keep enough cash asude for the flight home if it came down to it
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=bigjugs]If you are thinking so deep then maybe its not for you
Sounds corny but listen to your heart what does it think? and of course the family!!!!

We have times when we have doubts,you'd not be human if you didn't,but deep down we know we have to give it a go.(lifes too short for regrets)

who me or the original poster Me I can't wait to go, been there twice, got family there and love it, still a gamble though Andy
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
In terms of future prospects, they have to be better, if you have an entrepreneurial streak, or even if you don't in fact, I think there will be more opportunities for the taking than there are here.
Why

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:10 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

[QUOTE=flapsterhp]
Originally Posted by bigjugs
If you are thinking so deep then maybe its not for you

who me or the original poster Me I can't wait to go, been there twice, got family there and love it, still a gamble though Andy
No the original poster!!!!!
We have been once down the east coast, Next time for keeps
Hoping somewhere on the sunshine coast
You!!!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why

G
Not a quote set in stone, but from people who have already made the move, and people who have come back here I have heard that time and again. By the fact that there are so many skills shortages I would have said that this is the case....
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Not a quote set in stone, but from people who have already made the move, and people who have come back here I have heard that time and again. By the fact that there are so many skills shortages I would have said that this is the case....
Do you not read the reports about people finding it difficult to find work despite the supposed 'Skill shortage'?

Or how difficult it is to actually get the required certificates to actually do your job once you get there?

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you not read the reports about people finding it difficult to find work despite the supposed 'Skill shortage'?

Or how difficult it is to actually get the required certificates to actually do your job once you get there?

G
Yes, but I also speak to all the people I know who have moved to Oz and found work without many problems...
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Yes, but I also speak to all the people I know who have moved to Oz and found work without many problems...
Well

I can't argue with an expert.

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well

G
Hardly an expert...or claiming to be, even. Just making the best judgement I can from the information available to me.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Well

G
Are you already in Australia Grayling or heading out?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Are you already in Australia Grayling or heading out?
I'm Heading out when I'm ready. Already have a visa but am in no rush to go.

I think it a bit unwise for people to give definitive advice to others when they have not yet lived there.

I am retired so don't really have to bother.

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Heading out when I'm ready. Already have a visa but am in no rush to go.

I think it a bit unwise for people to give definitive advice to others when they have not yet lived there.

I am retired so don't really have to bother.

G

I thought you must have already been there and ready to come back. You often seem very negative about the place. Maybe its just the jobs market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.