Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bendigo and surrounds

Bendigo and surrounds

Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bendigo and surrounds

Originally Posted by Hels
If you have a look at the Migrant Stories you can see my Hubby tell his story!!
What I want to know is whether your hubby means he is familiar with Aussie larrikinism from being married to you? Interesting to read his story and a good website in general.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1

OzTennis
Old Dec 14th 2005, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Read this thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Agents in Australia regularly encounter people on 457 visas who are in a total mess because the company won't sponsor them for a permanent visa. Not can't - won't.

If they are not willing to sponsor for a permanent visa, are you willing to uproot yourself just to live on a temporary visa in Australia.

As regards timescales, ENS and RSMS visas get priority and well prepared applications that meet the requirements are usually dealt with quickly, assuming no health/character/child custody etc complications.

Jeremy
We are waiting to hear from them regarding whether they don't want to pay for the visa application or simply refuse to put their names on it. If it's the former then we don't have a problem but if it's the latter, it kind of puts the mockers on things.

Do you know what reasons are sited for not wanting to sponsor or are we taking for granted that the prospective employer won't pay for it?

In fairness one of them mentioned that we could apply ourselves but it wasn't clear whether they would still put their name to it. On the other hand, it might have something to do with the fact that they claim it's all new to them and might need to go through the whole process of proving that they need immigrants as opposed to locals. Social workers might be on the National list of shortages but not necessarily locally. Whether this makes a difference, I don't know.

Last edited by Dried Graze; Dec 14th 2005 at 4:09 am.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
Do you know what reasons are sited for not wanting to sponsor or are we taking for granted that the prospective employer won't pay for it?
If payment is the only issue then you could consider paying the visa costs yourself. If the deal is otherwise acceptable.

If it's something more fundamental, like they'd prefer you to be legally prevented from working for anyone but them, then you need to do some hard talking.

In fairness one of them mentioned that we could apply ourselves but it wasn't clear whether they would still put their name to it. On the other hand, it might have something to do with the fact that they claim it's all new to them and might need to go through the whole process of proving that they need immigrants as opposed to locals. Social workers might be on the National list of shortages but not necessarily locally. Whether this makes a difference, I don't know.
There is no longer any "labour market testing" for the ENS visa. Instead there's a list of acceptable occupations.

Bendigo is also eligible for RSMS, but I would go for ENS if possible (ENS is available Australia-wide). Going for ENS as opposed to RSMS means:
- no sign-off from a local certifying body required
- you don't face visa cancellation if you leave your employment within 2 years.

That said, RSMS is still miles better than any temporary visa.

If it's "all new to them" then clearly either you or they need some good professional advice on the options available. You could start by downloading migration booklet 5 which deals with employer nominated visas.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 14th 2005 at 12:07 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auspom
Hi I am heading for bendigo, But I am interested in the details of the social services job your wife may get. I work for social services disability field in UK moving to Aus in Jan 06. I just wondered if she has any info on the process or a contact? Can you PM me if that is ok
Thanks very much
I made my wife register too. I believe she has sent you a pm.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:52 am
Confused by DIMIA

DeniseHearne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I even saw a possum at night using the pelican crossing and thought how well mannered and clever he was.
I feel much relieved to know that possums can behave themselves. It does change the picture entirely!!!