Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Belgrave, Kallista etc

Belgrave, Kallista etc

Old May 21st 2006, 7:42 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belgrave, Kallista etc

I've been doing a fair bit of searching for properties around the Ferntree Gulley, Kallista, Belgrave & Monbulk area. There are a couple of things that do seem to stand out, and I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me out.

I have been looking at properties between $400/$475, and the properties seem good value compared to more inner city areas. I would accept a difference in property values, but is the difference that big ?

I have also noticed that properties don't seem to sell particularly quick. I've seen a couple of properties that I like the look of, and a month or more later, they are still up for sale. I had the feeling that the Oz market sold quickly, am I missing something ?

Is there anybody that lives in this particular area, that can offer tips/advice.

Another thing that plays on my mind, the property sizes tend to be 1000m or more. Do gardens that size need lots of looking after ?
Old May 21st 2006, 7:52 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belgrave, Kallista etc

I quite like these ones :

Upwey

Kallista

Love this one in Monbulk

Olinda

I saw all of these properties quite a while back on the net, and by doing a search on www.realestate.com they come out as some of the oldest listings.

All of them still for sale.

Or is it just my taste in houses. I like what nobody else does
Old May 21st 2006, 8:39 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about properties being up for sale for a while. My little opinion is that some places you mentioned like Belgrave are quite far out and on windey roads - (the roads are in good condition) - having said this my friend lives in Emerald and her road is a dirt track so do bear this in mind.
When I lived there as a child there were major fires around Belgrave and Cockatoo in the 80's. Don't let this put you off
Lovely areas though.
J x
Old May 21st 2006, 8:47 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I know what you mean about properties being up for sale for a while. My little opinion is that some places you mentioned like Belgrave are quite far out and on windey roads - (the roads are in good condition) - having said this my friend lives in Emerald and her road is a dirt track so do bear this in mind.
When I lived there as a child there were major fires around Belgrave and Cockatoo in the 80's. Don't let this put you off
Lovely areas though.
J x
That was another thing that I had thought about, and that was fires.

I am planning on buying a decent 4x4 anyway, so road conditions are not the main worry, but when I was out in Feb, I loved the area, and I would love to move to an area with space, peace and quiet but also only 15 minutes from civilisation.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Looked at those areas in dec 2004, similar price range.

Areas like that are damp wet and quite cool in winter, the wooden houses dont fare well, the places we looked at nearly always looked fantastic on net, (sort of storybook cottage, very romantic) were often in reality, very well worn, from the damp, mould etc, lots of rotting wood needing replacing. Also many despite the winter climate had no heating except a wood fire, again romantic but probably less practical when your half nuddy after a shower and its 4 degrees outside. A lot of these homes are used as weekenders, the windy roads really would get tiresome if like us you had a family and needed lots of trips in and out for kids etc.

Summer, can get V hot, loft areas would be V hot not comfortable, and as others have mentioned bushfires.

Ferntree gully is not so far up in the hills, what we saw more treed suburban and the town bit very busy traffic, lots of fast food outlets etc. Plenty of facilities tho, but run down in a few areas.

You really need to see the areas in person, would suit some.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:16 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Looked at those areas in dec 2004, similar price range.

Areas like that are damp wet and quite cool in winter, the wooden houses dont fare well, the places we looked at nearly always looked fantastic on net, (sort of storybook cottage, very romantic) were often in reality, very well worn, from the damp, mould etc, lots of rotting wood needing replacing. Also many despite the winter climate had no heating except a wood fire, again romantic but probably less practical when your half nuddy after a shower and its 4 degrees outside. A lot of these homes are used as weekenders, the windy roads really would get tiresome if like us you had a family and needed lots of trips in and out for kids etc.

Summer, can get V hot, loft areas would be V hot not comfortable, and as others have mentioned bushfires.

Ferntree gully is not so far up in the hills, what we saw more treed suburban and the town bit very busy traffic, lots of fast food outlets etc. Plenty of facilities tho, but run down in a few areas.

You really need to see the areas in person, would suit some.
Its quite funny that you replied, because your post in 2004 was the only real post on this area I could find. I'm not too worried about the climate there, I can live with anything (but not the wife ) and the bushfires are not really something that would give me sleepless nights. The one place that did appeal was Belgrave. A bit out of town, but not too far.

Where are you guys at the Mo ?

Have you found your spot, or are you still looking ?
Old May 21st 2006, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Its quite funny that you replied, because your post in 2004 was the only real post on this area I could find. I'm not too worried about the climate there, I can live with anything (but not the wife ) and the bushfires are not really something that would give me sleepless nights. The one place that did appeal was Belgrave. A bit out of town, but not too far.

Where are you guys at the Mo ?

Have you found your spot, or are you still looking ?
Were still in QLD, working on sunshine coast and in brisbane. Weve just spent 15 months renting near a beach, spoilt us a bit, and looking for acerage close to facillities, like hens teeth and highly sought after so we sort of gave up buying again till last week. Surfing off Bokarina, we found a plot of land 50 metres to the beach, (this is rare stuff, somebody had held it for years and sadly passed away) anway it had been on the market 2 hours and we bought it. Does not mean we will stay here permanant just means it was such an rare opportunity we could not let it pass by, still have itchy feet but will fill in the next 6 months building a beach house, till we visit UK again when we will look over there.
Old May 21st 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
I've been doing a fair bit of searching for properties around the Ferntree Gulley, Kallista, Belgrave & Monbulk area. There are a couple of things that do seem to stand out, and I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me out.

I have been looking at properties between $400/$475, and the properties seem good value compared to more inner city areas. I would accept a difference in property values, but is the difference that big ?

I have also noticed that properties don't seem to sell particularly quick. I've seen a couple of properties that I like the look of, and a month or more later, they are still up for sale. I had the feeling that the Oz market sold quickly, am I missing something ?

Is there anybody that lives in this particular area, that can offer tips/advice.

Another thing that plays on my mind, the property sizes tend to be 1000m or more. Do gardens that size need lots of looking after ?
We have looked at a lot of properties in that area - although mainly Upwey, The Basin, Tecoma & Selby. However, our price bracket is lower than yours -circa $280-$300K. The houses in that range, esp in Upwey, tend to go pretty quickly. We are in the process of buying a house in The Basin - has been on the market for a couple of months I believe. It does need TLC, but is a great size and layout with a nice garden. We found a few houses beautifully done out (but for us, doesn't give us a chance to leave our mark!) and others that are too quirky to work with and others that have not been finished off too well (one ground floor ext that looked like a work cabin!).
Budget for a termite treatment in case the owners have not had a management system in place (apparently many do not and it is a fairly high risk area). We are putting in a complete chemical barrier treatment which will cost circa $2K.
I love the area (although of course haven't lived there yet!). I also like Belgrave - reminds me of a mini Glastonbury. Some of the roads can be narrow and windy, some can be accessed via main roads. I don't find the route up to Belgrave difficult - though as with all main roads can get busy.
R