Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Taxed for Renting Out Uk house!

Being Taxed for Renting Out Uk house!

Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Taxed for Renting Out Uk house!

Originally Posted by Grayling
You will also need to declare it on your australian tax return.

Regardless of the UK the ATO tax you on your worldwide income.

You may well be able to claim offsets but it has to be declared.

G
you are wrong, I am here on a 457 and DO NOT need to declare it. However, with the new rules come into force post july 2008 I CAN declare a loss if my rental in the UK is at a loss, i.e. the rental does not cover the mortgage/management fees etc. This will be the situation come the 2009 tax declaration period. They will also allow you to declare the previous 5 years up to a max of 1650 per year I believe. The go matilda web site has all the details.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help & am over the moon as it sounds like we are likely to be tax exempt - however still not looking forward to filling in that tax return every year.
One last question (I promise!) how do you fill in a UK tax return from Oz? Will the Inland Revenue send it to your Oz address or can you do it on line?
Many thanks x
Although, after filling in and getting the reply from the NRL1 application, we are tax exempt from the income from our property, my wife was still required to fill in her tax return from last year. Did it all online with no hassle, just like being in the uk.
They sent her the paperwork to our Oz address and also emailed her.
Don't forget to read the go matilda site reference offsetting loss from property in the UK for next years tax filing.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
you are wrong, I am here on a 457 and DO NOT need to declare it. However, with the new rules come into force post july 2008 I CAN declare a loss if my rental in the UK is at a loss, i.e. the rental does not cover the mortgage/management fees etc. This will be the situation come the 2009 tax declaration period. They will also allow you to declare the previous 5 years up to a max of 1650 per year I believe. The go matilda web site has all the details.
Which is why I pointed out, earlier in this thread, that the rules are different for 457 visa holders.

Last edited by Grayling; Aug 15th 2008 at 8:13 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
We dont fill one out - we're tax exempt and they havent asked for anything more from us. Obviously if circumstances changed, and we started getting a lot more rent, then we would, but as it is we dont. Its not that we havent been in touch with the Inland Revenue over the years, and are trying to hide from them either. We've spoken to them a number of times and they've never yelled for any tax return from us
Erm, really not sure about this one.

I was under the impression that if you rent out your property in the UK that you have to submit a UK return even if your NRL status. Claiming ignorance is not a defence as it's is not up to HMRC to inform you that you have to. I would seek professional advice on this. Our UK rental income minus rental expenses are way below our UK Personal Allowance but we still have to submit a return.

I assume you're a PR, so even if the sum is below the UK Personal Allowance it will still need to be declared on your Australian return.

Al
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:50 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Grayling
Which is why I pointed out, earlier in this thread, that the rules are different for 457 visa holders.
Yes, sorry, hadn't read the whole thread before I replied!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Erm, really not sure about this one.

I was under the impression that if you rent out your property in the UK that you have to submit a UK return even if your NRL status. Claiming ignorance is not a defence as it's is not up to HMRC to inform you that you have to. I would seek professional advice on this. Our UK rental income minus rental expenses are way below our UK Personal Allowance but we still have to submit a return.

I assume you're a PR, so even if the sum is below the UK Personal Allowance it will still need to be declared on your Australian return.

Al
Our letter from the HMRC states that we DO NOT have to file any Tax returns as the property is our SOLE income in the UK and the overall return is lower than the tax thrshold, like others as its a joint mortgage its been split between us.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

Please can someone help me?? Bit bamboozled with this tax stuff but i have a question??

We are renting our house out and Rental Agent has given me one NRL (?) form to fill in. Our mortgage is in joint names, do we need to fill one in each??

Thanks in anticipation!
Mo
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:52 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by mo33
Please can someone help me?? Bit bamboozled with this tax stuff but i have a question??

We are renting our house out and Rental Agent has given me one NRL (?) form to fill in. Our mortgage is in joint names, do we need to fill one in each??

Thanks in anticipation!
Mo
yes, especially if the mortgage is in joint names. make sure the form is the current one, you can download from the HMRC website.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
yes, especially if the mortgage is in joint names. make sure the form is the current one, you can download from the HMRC website.
Thank you! x