Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beginning the process.

Beginning the process.

Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning the process.

Here in the Philippines it gets dark around 5.30 - 6.00pm, EVERY day. I do miss the long evenings of daylight back in UK. Yes, it's warm but by 9.00pm you think it's the middle of the night! Good luck with your future hopes and plans.
Once you know either you or your good lady qualify for a visa then the excitement begins.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am in New Zealand and I do miss those long twilights.

Does the so called 'weather' make up for that. Noes. Not really.

Swings. Roundabouts.

You do not get better weather for it being warmer.... if it is and not more extreme. What you get is different weather.

We get dark mornings and dark evenings for much of the year. it is a myth that UK weather and daylight hours are so much worse. It is not so. It is simply metered out in a different way.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss UK winter days. Working shifts I would go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark - and being in a factory meant you didn't see daylight for days It's just after 9pm here now and nearly dark, but that's late enough for me anyway - sunrise today was just after 6am and sunset just after 8.30pm.

I'm Adelaide area, and I do like the sunshine. It does get a bit hot sometimes but doesn't last too many days at a time usually (although only been here for just under 3 years so may not be the best to comment).

Salary wise, I was earning more in the UK but the salary I earn here more than pays for everything (or has so far). I don't find things too expensive either - although the fact I get free wine and spirits with my job may help with that
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I don't miss UK winter days. Working shifts I would go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark - and being in a factory meant you didn't see daylight for days It's just after 9pm here now and nearly dark, but that's late enough for me anyway - sunrise today was just after 6am and sunset just after 8.30pm.

I'm Adelaide area, and I do like the sunshine. It does get a bit hot sometimes but doesn't last too many days at a time usually (although only been here for just under 3 years so may not be the best to comment).

Salary wise, I was earning more in the UK but the salary I earn here more than pays for everything (or has so far). I don't find things too expensive either - although the fact I get free wine and spirits with my job may help with that
Night shifts aren't so bad, but if I'm on days i leave for work at 5am when i don't want daylight cos i am still asleep and my eyes are shut & i just walk from the door to the taxi, and get home at 1930. Pitch dark. I did a week of days over Christmas and didn't see daylight for 6 days. In the middle of summer.
I accept it now, it hapoens. But I'll never like or enjoy it.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Unzie85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv heard good things about adelaide and my friends live in hallett cove, we are going stopping with them next year and going to have a look at properties and enquire about job salaries and availability for research purposes. But early research done seems to all be pointing to our futures lying in Oz.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unzie85
No to much of an issue regarding dark nights I can cope with that as the weather is warmer than UK but then again most place are 😂.
No arguing with that. Australia is definitely warmer than the UK at any time of year.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Iv heard good things about adelaide and my friends live in hallett cove, we are going stopping with them next year and going to have a look at properties and enquire about job salaries and availability for research purposes. But early research done seems to all be pointing to our futures lying in Oz.
That's a nice area I think - I'm on the northern side on the edge of the Barossa
Old Jan 9th 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We were 5 mins up the coast from Hallett Cove until last month. It's full of Brits (as is everywhere round here)! Nice area, easy to get to Adelaide or the countryside and good value, mostly newish houses.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
We were 5 mins up the coast from Hallett Cove until last month. It's full of Brits (as is everywhere round here)! Nice area, easy to get to Adelaide or the countryside and good value, mostly newish houses.
My friends love it there and can't speak highly enough of it, we seen the houses and early research says between 700-900k what we could afford but seen plenty stunning house around the 5-600k mark easily within our budget.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Definitely for me was something that I missed terribly. Did in Bermuda too, which was a bit like Australia in terms of daylight patterns. But OP is not alone in assuming there are long days in Australia. Have see that many times before.

Certainly QLD was worst state for going dark early, especially with the ridiculous daylight saving that they maintain there. In Sydney it is getting dark by 7.30pm in summer, probably a touch better in Adelaide although the half hour time difference might offset that.
In Melbourne we all universally love Daylight Savings where it is dark at almost 9pm so light for many hrs after work, sure not 10pm which could be overkill, but you get it back in winter where you need it more.

No one gives it any thought. Pick location wisely!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 10th 2016 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beginning the process.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In Melbourne we all universally love Daylight Savings where it is dark at almost 9pm so light for many hrs after work, sure not 10pm which could be overkill, but you get it back in winter where you need it more.

No one gives it any thought. Pick location wisely!
Yep- got to love Melbourne summer evenings. We'll be at the beach tonight - well over 30 degrees, lie in the sea and watch the sun set into the sea.

BB
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yep- got to love Melbourne summer evenings. We'll be at the beach tonight - well over 30 degrees, lie in the sea and watch the sun set into the sea.

BB
Currently in Tassie and enjoyimg every second of the summer evenings, nice bottle of wine on the beach planned fir this evening
Old Jan 11th 2016, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Currently in Tassie and enjoyimg every second of the summer evenings, nice bottle of wine on the beach planned fir this evening
How many people on this forum can say all this is possible in the UK is beyond me. Summer evenings on the beach? Maybe 1 or 2 sure, if you like beaches scattered in rubbish and swimming/sitting in dirty polluted water.

Also living by the sea in the only places the beach is nice enough to sit on in the UK and your looking at a lot more money than I can afford.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How many people on this forum can say all this is possible in the UK is beyond me. Summer evenings on the beach? Maybe 1 or 2 sure, if you like beaches scattered in rubbish and swimming/sitting in dirty polluted water.

Also living by the sea in the only places the beach is nice enough to sit on in the UK and your looking at a lot more money than I can afford.
Have you ever actually been to Adelaide or anywhere in Australia?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Yes I have. Why? Never been when thinking of moving there that's why I'm going next year to view it as a home rather than a holiday destination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.