Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beginning life in Australia

Beginning life in Australia

Old Oct 6th 2014, 11:27 am
Just Joined

rabipradhani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beginning life in Australia

Dear Friends,I would like to announce that I have grant visa Application for myself & for my family.Initially I have planned to move to Melbourne in Jan 2015 alone,once settled then to bring my family back.I would like to get clarified for following queries.please help.

1.Is it possible to book a sharing accommodation well before landing in Australia?(Either bu gumtree/realestate.au)
2.How to carry cash for minimum three months until I find a suitable job.
3.What are the formalities need to be done immediately after arriving in Australia.

Thanks & Regards,
Rabi
Old Oct 6th 2014, 11:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning life in Australia

Originally Posted by rabipradhani
Dear Friends,I would like to announce that I have grant visa Application for myself & for my family.Initially I have planned to move to Melbourne in Jan 2015 alone,once settled then to bring my family back.I would like to get clarified for following queries.please help.

1.Is it possible to book a sharing accommodation well before landing in Australia?(Either bu gumtree/realestate.au)
3.What are the formalities need to be done immediately after arriving in Australia.

Thanks & Regards,
Rabi
Congratuations on the visa grant.

As a first thought, you all need to validate your visas so will need to travel to Australia before the first entry date. How long do you have to do this?

If you and your family then return to your home country, you have up to 5 years from the grant to make the permanent move. Once all the visas are validated, you can return on your own (or if you have a long enough date, you can validate first with family to follow before the first entry date). It's common to book temporary accommodation before arriving - either holiday let or YMCA or similar. If you bring cash into Australia you will need to declare amounts of $10k or more. I would look to open a bank account and do a transfer rather than carry large amounts.

Once arrived, you can apply online for your tax file number - TFN. You can also register with medicare.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabipradhani

Thanks & Regards,
Rabi
Hi Rabi, congratulations to you and your family on your successful visa application

I think you will find these checklists helpful, they will give you information on accommodation, formalities to be completed when you arrive, and a lot more information:

Before departing your country
Preparations before Moving to Australia - Live in Victoria

Arriving in Australia/Victoria
Checklist for Migrants Who Arrive in Australia - Live in Victoria

I hope this helps you and your family. Best of luck.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 11:00 am
Just Joined

rabipradhani is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Friend,
What do you mean by validating of visas???
Is it compulsory????
What are the advantaged if it will be validated & what is the exact process for it???

Regards,
Rabi
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Validating the visa means that you (ALL of you) have to enter Australia up to a certain date - usually one year after police check or medicals (whichever has the earlier date on it). It is a MUST, without it the visa will not be valid anymore, you won't be able to enter Australia then. The date until when you have to enter will be stated in your visa grant mail. By then all people included in the application ( also kids and wife) must have been in Australia, but it is enough to just enter, you could take the next flight back, if you wanted to. After that you have another up to 5 years ( also this date is stated in your visa grant mail) to finally make the move.
Kind regards
Petra
Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Or just make the permanent move within the 12 months of medicals / police check as stated on your visa.