Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been a naughty boy

Been a naughty boy

Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been a naughty boy

Hi all, I was soaking up the G20 atmosphere here in Brisbane and as it was so hot I spent the day on the beer, I got into an argument with a bouncer and was subsequently arrested and charged with "refused entry to a licensed premises" I've got to go to court next month, does anyone know what sort of punishment I can expect? I'm on a 457 visa so am also a bit worried?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been a naughty boy

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Hi all, I was soaking up the G20 atmosphere here in Brisbane and as it was so hot I spent the day on the beer, I got into an argument with a bouncer and was subsequently arrested and charged with "refused entry to a licensed premises" I've got to go to court next month, does anyone know what sort of punishment I can expect? I'm on a 457 visa so am also a bit worried?
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/indu...reases-patrons

google is your friend
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is very antiquated so my guess would be hung,drawn and quartered !
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well let's not beat about the bush, you haven't been a 'naughty boy', you've been a bit of a dickhead. You're not the first and you won't be the last.

Now that we've got that out of the way - the link below may help with information of possible repercussions for your visa. If it was just a verbal argument with no physical violence, then that's at the lowest end of the scale. If fisticuffs were involved, that ups the ante a bit. If you smashed a bottle and threatened the bouncer with it, you're gone and rightly so (not saying you did that, just giving you examples).

Dan, if your 457 is important to you and your future, get the advice and help of an immigration lawyer. How you present your defence in court is vital. For example, if you say 'oh, it was really hot and there was a lot happening so I got stuck into the booze', you'll get flayed. Get some advice, you need it. Follow your solicitor's advice, and then try to relax a bit, what's done is done and I'm sure you've learned from it.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-s...9character.htm
Another link re penalties that you may find useful http://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/publi...t-strategy.pdf

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 16th 2014 at 11:14 am.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What legal powers does a bouncer have to arrest you and charge you with a crime of made up wording? Is this a Brisbane thing?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Well let's not beat about the bush, you haven't been a 'naughty boy', you've been a bit of a dickhead.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Given so many yobs have basically walked away from killing someone while drunk driving or the one punch idiots, I imagine if it was just an argument its going to be not much.

Not sure how that affects the visa though, know mate in UK, her son got into a fair bit of drunken activity in AUS and was then refused visa to play college rugby in NZ.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Given so many yobs have basically walked away from killing someone while drunk driving or the one punch idiots, I imagine if it was just an argument its going to be not much.

Not sure how that affects the visa though, know mate in UK, her son got into a fair bit of drunken activity in AUS and was then refused visa to play college rugby in NZ.
Alcohol - It can turn the nicest person into the nastiest dickhead.
Some people are better off with out it.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say get some legal advice. Reading the QLD website seems to indicate that its not an offence to get refused entry, but "to try to enter a licensed premises after being refused entry or resist an authorised person who is preventing entry."

That means either you had to either go back a second time after refusal or try to fight your way in at the first attempt. In my experience, there is no bar in Brisbane worth either of those.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 3:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Visa-wise - check your grant letter, it probably doesn't require you to report change of circumstances, in which case no need to fret about the visa at present.
Could come into play later though if you go for another 457, PR or even citizenship, IF you are convicted, so definitely get good legal advice.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Visa-wise - check your grant letter, it probably doesn't require you to report change of circumstances, in which case no need to fret about the visa at present.
Could come into play later though if you go for another 457, PR or even citizenship, IF you are convicted, so definitely get good legal advice.
I agree. As you were arrested, presumably by a cop not a bouncer, you will be required to get a visa to enter the US, unless of course you consider the arrest didn't involve a moral turpitude crime.

Lawyer up. Lawyers can find where cops don't follow the law.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I agree. As you were arrested, presumably by a cop not a bouncer, you will be required to get a visa to enter the US, unless of course you consider the arrest didn't involve a moral turpitude crime.

Lawyer up. Lawyers can find where cops don't follow the law.
Yep, I've only looked at it and got info from an Aus visa point of view, but it gets far more complex if going to the US, even without a conviction.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I've only looked at it and got info from an Aus visa point of view, but it gets far more complex if going to the US, even without a conviction.
An arrest will do for our American friends. Let's put our trust in cops.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the posts, yes I have been a dickhead, completely agree with that. Rang a lawyer with regard to a quote and it will be an expensive night just over a shitty little argument. Live and learn and it's all about damage limitation now.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the posts, yes I have been a dickhead, completely agree with that. Rang a lawyer with regard to a quote and it will be an expensive night just over a shitty little argument. Live and learn and it's all about damage limitation now.
Is arguing with a bouncer a crime in Brisbane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.