British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Been to Kalamunda and loved it!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/been-kalamunda-loved-397038/)

sunbather Sep 17th 2006 2:04 pm

Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

went up there today on a soccer presentation and absolutely loved it. Had a great village about it, almost sort of English village, I do appreciate that it was only a day trip but we saw big old fashioned blocks like we live in (over half an acre) and not a colourbond fence in sight.

Anyone heading for Perth should defintitely give the hills a look. Only took me 30 minutes flat from Wellard :rolleyes: What's a speed limit :confused:

Amazulu Sep 17th 2006 3:05 pm

Re: Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

Originally Posted by sunbather
went up there today on a soccer presentation and absolutely loved it. Had a great village about it, almost sort of English village, I do appreciate that it was only a day trip but we saw big old fashioned blocks like we live in (over half an acre) and not a colourbond fence in sight.

Anyone heading for Perth should defintitely give the hills a look. Only took me 30 minutes flat from Wellard :rolleyes: What's a speed limit :confused:

We live in Kalamunda & it is everything you describe it to be. We love it here & it is the complete opposite to the Colorbond Hell that makes up so much of Perth.

Get your ass up here in the hills!

KingKenny7 Sep 17th 2006 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We live in Kalamunda & it is everything you describe it to be. We love it here & it is the complete opposite to the Colorbond Hell that makes up so much of Perth.

We are looking to go to Perth,can anyone tell me what the meaning of colourbond is

Sam Sep 17th 2006 7:23 pm

ooh ooh

we're hoping to head to them there hills!!

Got good friends in Roleystone so want to be nearish them

glad to know only 1/2 hour from you sunbather, we'll have to meet for a BBQ when we finally arrive ;)

Clippy Sep 17th 2006 7:42 pm

Don't you have to be a zillionaire to live in Kalamunda now? :)

twhurl Sep 17th 2006 8:50 pm

My wife is from Kalamunda. We are currently living in UK (I think her bags are packed) her parents still live there. I have been there twice after the first quick visit I had the impression that it was a sleepy nothing village with not much to it. But when I was last there in 2002 I thought it was great. Lovely houses with big gardens. Kookooburas feeding out of your hand. The village is really nice. Quaint shops, cafes, great weekend market. Anyone have any info on the pub ? I had a quick half with my brother but my wife and her family dont go to pubs so they are no help. If my wife gets her way we'll be back there within the year.

Amazulu Sep 18th 2006 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Clippies
Don't you have to be a zillionaire to live in Kalamunda now? :)

Not necessarily. Anything with a city view is way expensive, but apart from that you can get houses that are no more expensive than other areas of Perth. You might not get the 1/2 acre plot, but you can get something decent at 'normal' prices. Houses in the our street vary remarkably. There is a house for sale across from us up for $1.3million (way overpriced IMO, I would pay no more than $1million. It's been on sale for 3 months) yet the house next door, a slightly run down but liveable 3x1 on 1/2 acre went for $385k in February. A mixed bag really.

Amazulu Sep 18th 2006 12:30 am

Originally Posted by twhurl
Anyone have any info on the pub ?

Tha Kalamunda hotel is okay. It gets packed on Thursday & Friday nights & the food is good too. It is a typical Aussie small town hotel type pub. The Last Drop Tavern round the corner is better. They sell some great micro-brewed beers & it hasn't been 'trendified' like so many other pubs have. Both are very friendly places.

BadgeIsBack Sep 18th 2006 12:32 am

Not necessarily. Anything with a city view is way expensive, but apart from that you can get houses that are no more expensive than other areas of Perth. You might not get the 1/2 acre plot, but you can get something decent at 'normal' prices. Houses in the our street vary remarkably. There is a house for sale across from us up for $1.3million (way overpriced IMO, I would pay no more than $1million. It's been on sale for 3 months) yet the house next door, a slightly run down but liveable 3x1 on 1/2 acre went for $385k in February. A mixed bag really.

Sounds like where we are. The houses on the main 'through' road start at $330ish for a 1/4 acre.

Most are 4-750k plus on 2-5 acres plus and millions get you the 10-20plus. We got in the middle - not many chances to do so - got an acre (3x2) for $330k.

You need to get lucky really. If a house doesn't come up in your price bracket you'd have to go to Colorbond city.

mumomonty Sep 18th 2006 1:31 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sounds like where we are. The houses on the main 'through' road start at $330ish for a 1/4 acre.

Most are 4-750k plus on 2-5 acres plus and millions get you the 10-20plus. We got in the middle - not many chances to do so - got an acre (3x2) for $330k.

You need to get lucky really. If a house doesn't come up in your price bracket you'd have to go to Colorbond city.

Please put king kenny out of his misery and explain what Colorbond is? :-)

moneypenny20 Sep 18th 2006 1:34 am

Originally Posted by KingKenny7
We are looking to go to Perth,can anyone tell me what the meaning of colourbond is

Corregated iron painted any colour you fancy :rolleyes: It's a tad more technical than that but that's generally what most people in suburbia have for fences, the roof, water tank etc etc etc oh and etc :eek:

BadgeIsBack Sep 18th 2006 9:26 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Corregated iron painted any colour you fancy :rolleyes: It's a tad more technical than that but that's generally what most people in suburbia have for fences, the roof, water tank etc etc etc oh and etc :eek:

With a choice of 'colorbond' colour - green or cream is popular. Used on pergola roofs too. Is it zicalume...not sure - I did know but have since forgotten.

sj oldfield Sep 18th 2006 10:56 am

Doesnt Kalumanda get a bit hot in the summer months?

Muzza04 Sep 18th 2006 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Doesnt Kalumanda get a bit hot in the summer months?

Yes the Hills region does get hot...but by only a few degrees compared to the coastal strip.

The thing to remember is although the sun is baking at high noon and high above us, the trees help in the morning and late afternoon to keep us cool.

We also dont get much westerly coastal breeze but dont forget the easterlies which are gale force from early morning tilll midday.....

The people living in the foothill suburbs get the brunt of it as the (easterlies) come over the hill and turn into gully winds which are more ferocious. :eek:

sj oldfield Sep 18th 2006 12:59 pm

Fraid it will be too hot for me!!