Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

went up there today on a soccer presentation and absolutely loved it. Had a great village about it, almost sort of English village, I do appreciate that it was only a day trip but we saw big old fashioned blocks like we live in (over half an acre) and not a colourbond fence in sight.

Anyone heading for Perth should defintitely give the hills a look. Only took me 30 minutes flat from Wellard What's a speed limit
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been to Kalamunda and loved it!!

Originally Posted by sunbather
went up there today on a soccer presentation and absolutely loved it. Had a great village about it, almost sort of English village, I do appreciate that it was only a day trip but we saw big old fashioned blocks like we live in (over half an acre) and not a colourbond fence in sight.

Anyone heading for Perth should defintitely give the hills a look. Only took me 30 minutes flat from Wellard What's a speed limit
We live in Kalamunda & it is everything you describe it to be. We love it here & it is the complete opposite to the Colorbond Hell that makes up so much of Perth.

Get your ass up here in the hills!

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 17th 2006 at 3:10 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

KingKenny7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We live in Kalamunda & it is everything you describe it to be. We love it here & it is the complete opposite to the Colorbond Hell that makes up so much of Perth.

We are looking to go to Perth,can anyone tell me what the meaning of colourbond is
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:23 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

ooh ooh

we're hoping to head to them there hills!!

Got good friends in Roleystone so want to be nearish them

glad to know only 1/2 hour from you sunbather, we'll have to meet for a BBQ when we finally arrive
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:42 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have to be a zillionaire to live in Kalamunda now?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

My wife is from Kalamunda. We are currently living in UK (I think her bags are packed) her parents still live there. I have been there twice after the first quick visit I had the impression that it was a sleepy nothing village with not much to it. But when I was last there in 2002 I thought it was great. Lovely houses with big gardens. Kookooburas feeding out of your hand. The village is really nice. Quaint shops, cafes, great weekend market. Anyone have any info on the pub ? I had a quick half with my brother but my wife and her family dont go to pubs so they are no help. If my wife gets her way we'll be back there within the year.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Don't you have to be a zillionaire to live in Kalamunda now?
Not necessarily. Anything with a city view is way expensive, but apart from that you can get houses that are no more expensive than other areas of Perth. You might not get the 1/2 acre plot, but you can get something decent at 'normal' prices. Houses in the our street vary remarkably. There is a house for sale across from us up for $1.3million (way overpriced IMO, I would pay no more than $1million. It's been on sale for 3 months) yet the house next door, a slightly run down but liveable 3x1 on 1/2 acre went for $385k in February. A mixed bag really.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by twhurl
Anyone have any info on the pub ?
Tha Kalamunda hotel is okay. It gets packed on Thursday & Friday nights & the food is good too. It is a typical Aussie small town hotel type pub. The Last Drop Tavern round the corner is better. They sell some great micro-brewed beers & it hasn't been 'trendified' like so many other pubs have. Both are very friendly places.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. Anything with a city view is way expensive, but apart from that you can get houses that are no more expensive than other areas of Perth. You might not get the 1/2 acre plot, but you can get something decent at 'normal' prices. Houses in the our street vary remarkably. There is a house for sale across from us up for $1.3million (way overpriced IMO, I would pay no more than $1million. It's been on sale for 3 months) yet the house next door, a slightly run down but liveable 3x1 on 1/2 acre went for $385k in February. A mixed bag really.
Sounds like where we are. The houses on the main 'through' road start at $330ish for a 1/4 acre.

Most are 4-750k plus on 2-5 acres plus and millions get you the 10-20plus. We got in the middle - not many chances to do so - got an acre (3x2) for $330k.

You need to get lucky really. If a house doesn't come up in your price bracket you'd have to go to Colorbond city.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:31 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sounds like where we are. The houses on the main 'through' road start at $330ish for a 1/4 acre.

Most are 4-750k plus on 2-5 acres plus and millions get you the 10-20plus. We got in the middle - not many chances to do so - got an acre (3x2) for $330k.

You need to get lucky really. If a house doesn't come up in your price bracket you'd have to go to Colorbond city.
Please put king kenny out of his misery and explain what Colorbond is? :-)
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KingKenny7
We are looking to go to Perth,can anyone tell me what the meaning of colourbond is
Corregated iron painted any colour you fancy It's a tad more technical than that but that's generally what most people in suburbia have for fences, the roof, water tank etc etc etc oh and etc
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Corregated iron painted any colour you fancy It's a tad more technical than that but that's generally what most people in suburbia have for fences, the roof, water tank etc etc etc oh and etc
With a choice of 'colorbond' colour - green or cream is popular. Used on pergola roofs too. Is it zicalume...not sure - I did know but have since forgotten.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Doesnt Kalumanda get a bit hot in the summer months?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Doesnt Kalumanda get a bit hot in the summer months?
Yes the Hills region does get hot...but by only a few degrees compared to the coastal strip.

The thing to remember is although the sun is baking at high noon and high above us, the trees help in the morning and late afternoon to keep us cool.

We also dont get much westerly coastal breeze but dont forget the easterlies which are gale force from early morning tilll midday.....

The people living in the foothill suburbs get the brunt of it as the (easterlies) come over the hill and turn into gully winds which are more ferocious.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Fraid it will be too hot for me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.