Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here 10 months, My story

Been here 10 months, My story

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:36 am
Just Joined

prometheus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been here 10 months, My story

Decided to return to Sydney after spending a year on a working holiday visa and meeting my wonderful finacee. Originally she came to the UK, but we both decided we wanted to live in Oz so sorted the de-facto visa and arrived here last April.

Fortunatly I had just been made redundant, so had some cash stored up to save me having to take a job for purely economic reasons. Besides, last time I was here, I got a great job within a week and my skills are v.good so wasn't expecting any dramas.

Absolutely love being here, the people are nice my in-law family are great, love the beach, weather etc. Admitedly all forms of media over are truely dreadful, but never mind, instead I took up playing soccer, tennis, sea kayaking and generally playing at beaches.

Now though, I have to look at returning home. My little nest egg has dwindled away to nothing and I can't see much hope in ever getting a job which will pay enough for the lifestyle I require for future happiness. If I can get a job in the meantime, I will stay.

Why can't you just get a job you say? Believe me I've tried, only to turned away with the usual: Not enough OZ experience; skills aren't a perfect fit for the role, over qualified etc...

On one occasion just before Christmas, I had five interviews for a role I would of been happy with. Interviewed with everybody in the company up to the MD. Was offered the job and accepted, as long as I could start in 5 days. So I quit my contract job. Day before I was supposed to start,I got a call telling me the job had been withdrawn because the UK (head) office didn't feel my CV matched the job I was to do!!

It is such a small city, it is very difficult to get into the proffesional market place. I have tried going in at lower levels, but recruitment consultants (wankers, the lot of them) won't put me forward. They are more busy, drilling you for info about other companies you're talking too, so they can muscle in with their candidates.

So now, I've bit the bullet and will be looking at plans to return home. Will have to get a labouring/data entry job to pay for it, as with worthless skills it's all I can be employed for.

This is obviously a moaning post, but hopefuly it will give some of you new migrants a perspective of the job market (I do marketing by the way), and the benefits of finding a job beforehand.

I would love to stay, I want to bring future children up here. But it is pointless if it will be a continual struggle to make ends meet.

Last edited by prometheus; Feb 3rd 2004 at 3:00 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:47 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here 10 months, My story

Originally posted by prometheus
Decided to return to Sydney after spending a year on a working holiday visa and meeting my wonderful finacee. Originally she came to the UK, but we both decided we wanted to live in Oz so sorted the de-facto visa and arrived here last April.

Fortunatly I had just been made redundant, so had some cash stored up to save me having to take a job for purely economic reasons. Besides, last time I was here, I got a great job within a week and my skills are v.good so wasn't expecting any dramas.

Absolutely love being here, the people are nice my in-law family are great, love the beach, weather etc. Admitedly all forms of media over are truely dreadful, but never mind, instead I took up playing soccer, tennis, sea kayaking and generally playing at beaches.

Now though, I have to look at returning home. My little nest egg has dwindled away to nothing and I can't see much hope in ever getting a job which will pay enough for the lifestyle I require for future happiness. If I can get a job in the meantime, I will stay.

Why can't you just get a job you say? Believe me I've tried, only to turned away with the usual: Not enough OZ experience; skills aren't a perfect fit for the role, over qualified etc...

On one occasion just before Christmas, I had five interviews for a role I would of been happy with. Interviewed with everybody in the company up to the MD. Was offered the job and accepted, as long as I could start in 5 days. So I quit my contract job. Day before I was supposed to start,I got a call telling me the job had been withdrawn because the UK (head) office didn't feel my CV matched the job I was to do!!

It is such a small city, it is very difficult to get into the proffesional market place. I have tried going in at lower levels, but recruitment consultants (wankers, the lot of them) won't put me forward. They are more busy, drilling you for info about other companies you're talking too, so they can muscle in with their candidates.

So now, I've bit the bullet and will be looking at plans to return home. Will have to get a labouring/data entry job to pay for it, as with worthless skills it's all I can employed for.

This is obviously a moaning post, but hopefuly it will give some of you new migrants a perspective of the job market (I do marketing by the way), and the benefits of finding a job beforehand.

I would love to stay, I want to bring future children up here. But it is pointless if it will be a continual struggle to make ends meet.
You didnt say much about what in marketing you do. I had a thought that perhaps if you were an "ideas" person you could possibly target a few companies and use your skills to get some freelance work.
Sometimes it takes a bold approach to get oneself recognised in such a competative world.

Good luck on what ever you decide

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Will have to get a labouring/data entry job to pay for it, as with worthless skills it's all I can employed for.
You could try getting freelance work writing fiction as you have a nice way with words.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:00 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You could try getting freelance work writing fiction as you have a nice way with words.

Come on Don, you sound as if you don't believe the guy....

this may be true ... a similar situation happened to my wife as in she lost a job offer when the Gen Skills category was removed in NZ. I'm not saying it is all true...but it may well be.

Rich.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:02 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Come on Don, you sound as if you don't believe the guy....

this may be true ... a similar situation happened to my wife as in she lost a job offer when the Gen Skills category was removed in NZ. I'm not saying it is all true...but it may well be.

Rich.
Hi Rich, I was trying to be genuine as I felt for the guy and he writes very nicely.

Hope all's well in the good ol' US of goddamn A!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Err...excuse me.

Are you trying to insinuate that this is a lie.

I can't fathom why one would or another would suspect.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:07 am
Don
Banned

Err...excuse me.

Are you trying to insinuate that this is a lie.

I can't fathom why one would or another would suspect.
I wouldn't know if you were telling porkies. Only you know that.

In the absence of better information, I'll believe you.

Were you fibbing then?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:07 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hi Rich, I was trying to be genuine as I felt for the guy and he writes very nicely.

Hope all's well in the good ol' US of goddamn A!

That's the trouble with email / postings - they are non-emotive. Things are cool in the US (literally...it's -5 now). Back to the good old UK in 2 weeks.

It won't be long before your next move....

all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:27 am
Merlot

Just to say good luck with everything and offer a word or two about Recruitment Consultants.

I have done the job in both the UK and Australia. Hated it here as all they wanted was the $$$ and sod the poor old job seeker.

I temped here for many years whilst on WHV & temp spouse visa as a PA/Sec. I was always and I mean always on a lower hourly rate than the locals. Makes you mad!

BTW If you come here with pots of money to live the mortgage free live in a nice suburb you will be loved to death! For others with a simple existance, you are nothing! Sydney is very snobbish!

Sorry you have had such a raw deal. I too went through burning hoops for 5 years before I got Citizenship. Now I have it I would gladly give it back! Oz - Crap hole place as a rule. I will only miss my friends here. The rest I will leave in a garbage bag at the airport.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Merlot

Sorry you have had such a raw deal. I too went through burning hoops for 5 years before I got Citizenship. Now I have it I would gladly give it back! Oz - Crap hole place as a rule. I will only miss my friends here. The rest I will leave in a garbage bag at the airport.

Good luck
Merlot
The affirmative side of the argument could be a just a little unhappy with this one
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the words Merlot.

Yes my best friend is also a recruitment consultant over here (different field though). He also hates it, as it is purely dollar driven, and they are taught to do the 'secret squirrel' stuff and bascially try to screw candidates as much as possible.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:47 am
Merlot

Originally posted by dotty
The affirmative side of the argument could be a just a little unhappy with this one
Oh well Dotty, in for a penny, in for a pound!!!

Luckily opinions are still free in Oz, for the moment anyway.

Hope your plans are moving OK?

Merlot

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Merlot
Oh well Dotty, in for a penny, in for a pound!!!

Luckily opinions are still free in Oz, for the moment anyway.

Hope your plans are moving OK?

Merlot
Merlot,

Excellent post

It sounds like you would not be unhappy leaving Oz for good.

What is it about Oz that makes you feel like this?

As a soon-to-be escapee, I'm interested on what makes people leave/want to leave...
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the words Merlot.

Yes my best friend is also a recruitment consultant over here (different field though). He also hates it, as it is purely dollar driven, and they are taught to do the 'secret squirrel' stuff and bascially try to screw candidates as much as possible.

What's the 'secret squirrel' stuff?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:34 am
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

This seems awful, I am not naive but I didn't think Sydney would be that snobbish especially the Recruitment Consultants. We are heading North of there anyways but I was thinking Sydney would be a second option for us to work in.

Have you considered moving to another city in OZ? Would this not be a better option than packing up and shipping back to UK?

Hope it all works out whatever happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.