Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

Is anyone else fed up with the commentators in the adverts on channel 10 for the upcoming commonwealth games constantly telling Australia c'mon the most important thing is to beat the POMS.
Its like it is the whole meaning in their life resenting people from Britain - forget breaking world records and competing against all the other countries just beat those POMS. It's Depressing. I will now have to ignore the media entirely for the next two weeks.
(and of course making any kind of comment on it just instantly puts you in the whingeing pom category - you aren't allowed to stand up for yourself here).
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

As far as the Commonwealth Games is concerned the Poms will be the English.

Last edited by renth; Sep 30th 2010 at 3:16 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Still pretty sad though
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Still pretty sad though
You'll be able to join in with the Aussies in cheering against England.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

Is anyone else fed up with the commentators in the adverts on channel 10 for the upcoming commonwealth games constantly telling Australia c'mon the most important thing is to beat the POMS.
Considering that the UK poured millions of lottery money into their Olympic team with the admitted aim of beating Australia at Beijing (they succeeded; albeit by only two gold medals), I think that's fair enough.

The Sun newspaper celebrated this victory in an unprecedented display of hubris by driving a bunch of vans around Sydney and London, bearing the slogan "Where the bloody hell were you?" Yet you complain about Australians?

Its like it is the whole meaning in their life resenting people from Britain - forget breaking world records and competing against all the other countries just beat those POMS. It's Depressing. I will now have to ignore the media entirely for the next two weeks.
(and of course making any kind of comment on it just instantly puts you in the whingeing pom category - you aren't allowed to stand up for yourself here).
I think you're taking this just a bit too seriously.

I'm Australian, and I don't resent Britain at all. I enjoy our friendly rivalry, and I relish the fact that my country of 20 million people regularly beats your country of 60 million people in major international sporting competitions.

It's nothing personal.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Nah, wouldn't waste my breath.

Slightly ironically it has taken moving over the other side of the world for me to actually become more of an england supporter - mainly because if they beat them it stops the Aussies beign so smug.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Considering that the UK poured millions of lottery money into their Olympic team with the admitted aim of beating Australia at Beijing (they succeeded; albeit by only two gold medals), I think that's fair enough.

The Sun newspaper celebrated this victory in an unprecedented display of hubris by driving a bunch of vans around Sydney and London, bearing the slogan "Where the bloody hell were you?" Yet you complain about Australians?

I'm Australian, and I don't resent Britain at all. I enjoy our friendly rivalry, and I relish the fact that my country of 20 million people regularly beats your country of 60 million people in major international sporting competitions.

It's nothing personal.

If you say so mate. I wasn't in London or Sydney to see that, but in all my life in the UK i don't remember anybody caring that much about the Aussies performance - far less continually stating that the aim of attending the olympics or commonwealth was to 'Beat Australia'.
I have counted just in the last hour 6 adverts on TV where the commentators have mentioned this as their main reason for going.
If it was actually friendly rivalry that would be ok - but a lot of the time it is not, it is just downright nasty making racist insults.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:35 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe. But it is worth bearing in mind that Aus and England usually come in 1st and 2nd in the Commonwealth games.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:43 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing personal.
We do "Britain's Next Top Model" respectively better though....
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beating the POMS at the commonwealth is top priority

If you say so mate. I wasn't in London or Sydney to see that, but in all my life in the UK i don't remember anybody caring that much about the Aussies performance - far less continually stating that the aim of attending the olympics or commonwealth was to 'Beat Australia'.

I have counted just in the last hour 6 adverts on TV where the commentators have mentioned this as their main reason for going.
Oh really? I lived in the UK for nearly 6 years, from January 2004 to October 2009. England won the Ashes series in 2005, and the entire country went completely mental for at least the next six weeks. My British workmates were still rubbing it in two months later. So please, don't tell me Poms don't care about Australia's performance.

I didn't say people were "continually stating that the aim of attending the Olympics or Commonwealth was to beat Australia." I said the UK's massive investment of lottery money into their Olympic preparations was partly motivated by a desire to beat Australia. Sports Minister Andy Burnham virtually admitted this at the time, and even promised to wear Australia's sporting colours if we won more medals.

If it was actually friendly rivalry that would be ok - but a lot of the time it is not, it is just downright nasty making racist insults.
Racist insults? I find that very hard to believe.

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
We do "Britain's Next Top Model" respectively better though....
Yes, I... er... well, yes. Quite. Getting the name of the winner right is an important part of the business, and you guys seem to have mastered it jolly well. We're still getting to grips with the finer points.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind it at all, I think its funny.

I actually think the ads on 10 aren't particularly representative of how the country feels. I haven't come across anyone who really cares about the commonwealth games, 10 are just trying to hype it up to get viewers.

The cricket though thats a different story. Thats a proper historical rivalry. I'll be going to a few matches here and I can't wait. Win or lose its a great day out and to have all the fans sitting together and taking the piss out of each other is brilliant.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh really? I lived in the UK for nearly 6 years, from January 2004 to October 2009. England won the Ashes series in 2005, and the entire country went completely mental for at least the next six weeks. My British workmates were still rubbing it in two months later. So please, don't tell me Poms don't care about Australia's performance.

But that's direct competition against one another in the biggest event in cricket. You would expect some banter about it.
The difference is that Australian commentators tend to mention England's performance, particularly if that performance was lousy, even if Australia were not competing in the same event.
I understand why it happens, as there is still a bit of rivalry with the old 'Mother country' even after all this time. It doesn't bother me now, but there was a time when it used to piss me off no end.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
<<snigger>>
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Oh here we go again. I'd just got over the Olympics....

It's sport. Watch it or forget it. Noone has even mentioned it at the moment - apart from a guffaw at the preparations which has eclipsed other comments..

Just let me know when those nubile girls are diving.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, wouldn't waste my breath.

Slightly ironically it has taken moving over the other side of the world for me to actually become more of an england supporter - mainly because if they beat them it stops the Aussies beign so smug.
No! I find that hard to believe? From a Scot?

Apart from Kporte, you're the first!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.