Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beasties in the garden

Beasties in the garden

Old May 15th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

THE THOMSONS will become famous soon enoughTHE THOMSONS will become famous soon enough
Question Beasties in the garden

A bit of a stupid scottish question,but with all the spiders etc in aus do children play freely in the garden and unsupervised safely.

Thanks

Suzanne
Old May 15th 2005, 9:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beasties in the garden

Originally Posted by THE THOMSONS
A bit of a stupid scottish question,but with all the spiders etc in aus do children play freely in the garden and unsupervised safely.

Thanks

Suzanne

well ours do fine
Old May 15th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

we have been here 4 months now and as yet we have not even seen a spider, just cockroaches which aren't deadly anyway. Don't worry.......I was petrified before we came but it is ok.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:11 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- they do - suburban gardens are no problem in the main. Living on acreage you might want to tell them to 'stay out of the woods' ;-)

Its worth warning htem what snakes are and what spiders are and not to touch them - dont make them scared, just a healthy respect. They are unlikely to run in to them but you never know and you dont want them dragging a snake in by the tail to ask you what it is.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:39 pm
wombat42

Thanks

Suzanne
Most Aussies are'nt particularly affraid of spiders or see them as a danger, it seems to be a fear mainly the British have. Suburban Australia is'nt the African jungle swarming with deadly creatues everywhere. No one has been killed by a spider bite in Australia since 1980 compared to 2 people every year killed by bee and wasp stings. l have been stung by bees a few times but never bitten by a spider. Parents in OZ are'nt concerned about their kids in the backyard but getting out of the backyard onto the road where the real danger is.

Last edited by wombat42; May 15th 2005 at 11:56 pm.

Old May 16th 2005, 12:05 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks

Suzanne
Mine does, and she learns about these things in school, so she now knows better than I do.

The question now becomes, can adults wander "unsupervised by children" in the gardens

Old May 16th 2005, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Yes- they do - suburban gardens are no problem in the main. Living on acreage you might want to tell them to 'stay out of the woods' ;-)

Its worth warning htem what snakes are and what spiders are and not to touch them - dont make them scared, just a healthy respect. They are unlikely to run in to them but you never know and you dont want them dragging a snake in by the tail to ask you what it is.
I've seen far more snakes in the UK than Aus. You have to be bloody fast to catch them by the tail!

On the whole, you're far less likely to see any snakes at all in your garden unless you live near the bush. There are members on this forum who do sometimes get dangerous snakes in their garden, but they are a small minority.
Old May 16th 2005, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Suzanne
We live in suburban Melbourne, and the only spider I've seen is a Huntman - hardly dangerous

However where I work (a hospital), only half an hour from Melbourne we have had Redbacks in the clinic and a few Tiger Snakes in the garden - no doubt I should take my Huntsman in !!

Cas