Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beaches of Australia

Beaches of Australia

Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beaches of Australia

Not every expat but most of us enjoy the Aussie beach. Just thought I would start a thread to review the beaches we know.

No surprises where I will start.

Bondi - The best City beach in the world. I would say they wouldn't I.

Lets get the downside out of the way. The 200m of Campbell Parade North of Hall St where Maccas and the big chain fast food joints are. I tend to detour via the beach myself.

The sand is very fine and light (gets in all the cracks though) but the place is not for those after solitude. It is an active beach about 2kms long with the southern end reserved for surfers in summer. The northern end always has a flagged area except in heavy seas.

The days of the Bondi cigars are over and water quality is rarely an issue unless there has been a storm (find me a city beach where that isn't the case).

The Beach faces SSE so it picks up a southerly swell and is protected from blue bottles. The place is good for kook (see the A - Z Oz Dictionary) surfers and there is very little attitude in the line up.

The North head at Ben Buckler is excellent for a snorkel when the seas are flat. There are wobbygong sharks and blue gropers lurking down there.

When you have finished your hard days sun bathing or surfing there is a huge choice of restaurants and take aways ranging from deep fried Mars Bars at the chippy to world class restaurants (Seans Panorama, Hugos and Bondi Icebergs).

Then onto the nightlife. A band at BBs, dancing at the Beach road, pretentious people watching at Ravesis or mix it with the locals at the Royal.

Not a quiet place but solitude can get boring.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:27 am

Default Bronte Beach

Bronte and Tamarama Beaches

Tamarama AKA Glamarama. A small beach south of Bondi known for its *n*l floss wearers getting ready for Mardi Gras. It has rocky surf break for the experienced board riders. One cafe but I have never eaten there.

Bronte Beach was my regular when I lived in Darlinghurst. It has a strip of excellent cafes, a great little beach and a good surf break that works better with a northerly to eastern swell. What makes Bronte is the park behind the sea front and the shade. It is much more of a family beach than the other 2 I have reviewed.

Hopefully NickyC and RichS will review Coogee and Maroubra beach.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:38 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beaches of Australia

Originally posted by bondipom
Not every expat but most of us enjoy the Aussie beach. Just thought I would start a thread to review the beaches we know.

Not a quiet place but solitude can get boring.
Sound like hell to me

My favourite (from my extensive travels around Australia) would be 40 mile beach (Noosa North shore up to Double Island Point).

It is long..., umm, ... let me think, ... about 64.5 km (or 40 miles).

Only really accessible by 4WD. It gets bloody crowded during the long weekends and it has been overfished, but still a great place to spend time.

This pic is looking south from Double Island Point.

Edited to make the pic viewable
Attached Thumbnails Beaches of Australia-dsc00014s.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:45 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And I should add, if you are ever heading to 40 mile beach on a long weekend, wear your seatbelts, dont speed, don't drink, don't carry half a dozen people on the back of your ute. Several times I have seen the police up there with a radar trap on the beach (road rules apply - the limit is 50 or 80 depending which section you are on - as shown).
Attached Thumbnails Beaches of Australia-dsc00079s.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:51 am
Cheesy Member

And just to save Mrs DagBoy having to find the pic - this is what the fishing used to be like back in the 70s. This is Mrs DagBoy's Dad with a 45lb Jew fish.
Attached Thumbnails Beaches of Australia-dad.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Theres a really beutiful beach at Maslin near here...but i cant go there..

its for nudists!!!!!!! :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL what is this? Cooloola Tourism Board?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now THAT, Dagboy, is my sort of beach!! Best ones I've enjoyed are in Tassie - Adventure Bay on Bruny Island is lovely - reasonably long, peaceful, and stunning views of sunrises. I also spent some really peaceful time on Fossil Beach, which is up near Wynyard on Tassie's north coast.
I could never get bored somewhere like that. I used to turn up with a backpack full of beer and eatables and a couple of good books, and just lie there chilling out. Amazing.........
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:54 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beaches of Australia

Originally posted by DagBoy

This pic is looking south from Double Island Point.
Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many people there, look, you can SEE someone in the pic!

Love it there, except on long weekends. Im telling you, Bloomfield river is looking more & more appealing every day .
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:01 am
Cheesy Member

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL what is this? Cooloola Tourism Board?
No - that would be when I put

"Enter the tranquil world of Noosa North shore. As you cross the ferry you can almost feel your worries and stresses slough away and soon you will be on the 40 miles of pristine beaches that make up "40 mile" beach. Whether it is fishing or just lazinbg on the beach that you are after - 40 mile beach is the place for you. But remember - it is not all lazing around! If it is excitement that you are after, visit the world famous wreck of the Cherry Venture - a merchant vessel that was driven ashore in 1973 during tropical cyclone Mabel, or, for the more adventurous, try taking a flight on a hang glider off the massive cliffs of the National Park. And don't forget the nightlife. Noosa itself has a choice of two cafes - one of which is soon to have a Capuccino machine - and they both stay open well past 7.30 at night."

I sound like a 1950's travalogue. I must just go and kill myself.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by DagBoy
No - that would be when I put

"Enter the tranquil world of Noosa North shore. As you cross the ferry you can almost feel your worries and stresses slough away and soon you will be on the 40 miles of pristine beaches that make up "40 mile" beach. Whether it is fishing or just lazinbg on the beach that you are after - 40 mile beach is the place for you. But remember - it is not all lazing around! If it is excitement that you are after, visit the world famous wreck of the Cherry Venture - a merchant vessel that was driven ashore in 1973 during tropical cyclone Mabel, or, for the more adventurous, try taking a flight on a hang glider off the massive cliffs of the National Park. And don't forget the nightlife. Noosa itself has a choice of two cafes - one of which is soon to have a Capuccino machine - and they both stay open well past 7.30 at night."

I sound like a 1950's travalogue. I must just go and kill myself.
LMAO!!! Cyclone Mabel !!! ROFL!!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nobel Prize for literature goes to Dagboy..... has he ever considered following the family career in journalism?!!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:19 am

One for the waxheads.
Attached Thumbnails Beaches of Australia-img_0891s.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:48 am

That 2 cafes in Noosa thing made me laugh. We went there last year and Hastings St was just a bit livelier than that.

It is the only other place I have surfed. It was the tail end of a cyclone swell and I had an amazing time. I surfed a point break with a rock break and managed to keep my board and myself in one piece.

What was more incredible was being able to share a break with just 2 other people. Just wave after wave for hours.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Surfers hunt the gnarliest for $20,000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.