Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

beach lifeguards perth

beach lifeguards perth

Old May 5th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default beach lifeguards perth

Could someone please give me the name of the governing body of beach lifeguards in Western Australia, Perth area, as my son would like to do the training over there. I have found some companies on the internet but would really like to contact the main people e.g. RNLI over here. And like everything on the internet they all claim to be the best and biggest. Thanks for any help given.

Lindsey.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Surf Lifesaving Australia is the governing body. http://www.slsa.asn.au/doc_display.asp?document_id=1

Basically you join and volunteer. I believe there is an induction program and a lot of very physical training, often embodied in competitions such as paddle boarding, ocean swimming etc. All the competitiors in the Iron man competitions have to be regular surf life savers. Find out about the various clubs in your area as they will provide the training upon joining.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:04 am

http://www.slsa.asn.au/doc_display.asp?document_id=264

Gives a list of Perth clubs. Some of the clubs such as Palm Beach in Sydney are also for the local elite of business and can be tricky to get membership.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bondipom
Surf Lifesaving Australia is the governing body. http://www.slsa.asn.au/doc_display.asp?document_id=1

Basically you join and volunteer. I believe there is an induction program and a lot of very physical training, often embodied in competitions such as paddle boarding, ocean swimming etc. All the competitiors in the Iron man competitions have to be regular surf life savers. Find out about the various clubs in your area as they will provide the training upon joining.
Hi Bondipom

Thanks for your quick reply, are there no employed lifeguards in Oz is it all voluntary?

Linz
Old May 6th 2004, 12:13 am

I believe that there are some employed guards in Bondi which are paid for by the council but every beach and club will be different. Bondi is a bit different because tourists provide the council so much money in parking fines. Can't have them drowning before paying the fines.

BTW Bondi has 2 surf clubs one of which is the world first although Bronte Beach hotly disputes this.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe that there are some employed guards in Bondi which are paid for by the council but every beach and club will be different. Bondi is a bit different because tourists provide the council so much money in parking fines. Can't have them drowning before paying the fines.

BTW Bondi has 2 surf clubs one of which is the world first although Bronte Beach hotly disputes this.
Hi again,

You're too fast for me, I have just read about employed lifeguards on the web site you gave me. Thanks a lot it's a great help.

This a good place, this forum, isn't it???
Old May 6th 2004, 12:23 am

Glad to be of help. Does he want to become a professional or just have something to do at the weekends? The work of SLSA and the clubs is invaluable and you only have to look at the rescue stats to see why.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Glad to be of help. Does he want to become a professional or just have something to do at the weekends? The work of SLSA and the clubs is invaluable and you only have to look at the rescue stats to see why.
No he really wants to do it as a career. He is doing work experience at college where he is studying outdoor leisure andat the moment is in Cornwall with the world champion surf kayaker and his dreams of becoming a lifeguard, professionally, are growing by the day. He is only 16 at the moment so it's a great time to start. And what better place than Australia to do it. LOL

Linz
Old May 6th 2004, 12:35 am

Originally posted by lindseyden
No he really wants to do it as a career. He is doing work experience at college where he is studying outdoor leisure andat the moment is in Cornwall with the world champion surf kayaker and his dreams of becoming a lifeguard, professionally, are growing by the day. He is only 16 at the moment so it's a great time to start. And what better place than Australia to do it. LOL

Linz
Good luck to him.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:38 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Simmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Linz
The beaches over here are just awesome, so he would have a great job if he can get one, I know of a friend of a friend who works as a beach patrol person and believe that he works for one of the local councils.
check out this link to surf cams at Trigg etc in Perth

http://www.coastaldata.transport.wa....ve-triggs.html

Simmo