Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beach or Land in Melbourne

Beach or Land in Melbourne

Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

penny31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beach or Land in Melbourne

We are moving to Melbourne early next year and have done much research (a lot of it on this site), we have narrowed our search for living down to Mount Eliza or Langwarrin or maybe Skye. Obviously we can get a lot more land for our money in Langwarrin or Skye, but Mount Eliza is near the beach, and coming from The Midlands, being near the beach would be heaven! We know we are going to be staying in all 3 places for a couple of weeks each to be able to get a feel, but we have to decide on one quite quickly as the children will have to be going to school (we don't want to put them in a school in Mount Eliza and then decide we really wanty to live in Skye!) Anyway, I would really like to know if anyone has any opinions good or bad they could share with me, my children are 10, 8 & 2, and my husband will be working in Dandenong area so all 3 areas will be close enough for him (he's used to travelling for 1hr up the M6 everyday!) I'd really like a couple of acres of land, but I'd also quite like 1/2 acre and be near the beach! we have about a $550,000 budget.
Any advice would be grately appreciated, Thank you!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice
Default Re: Beach or Land in Melbourne

Originally Posted by penny31
We are moving to Melbourne early next year and have done much research (a lot of it on this site), we have narrowed our search for living down to Mount Eliza or Langwarrin or maybe Skye. Obviously we can get a lot more land for our money in Langwarrin or Skye, but Mount Eliza is near the beach, and coming from The Midlands, being near the beach would be heaven! We know we are going to be staying in all 3 places for a couple of weeks each to be able to get a feel, but we have to decide on one quite quickly as the children will have to be going to school (we don't want to put them in a school in Mount Eliza and then decide we really wanty to live in Skye!) Anyway, I would really like to know if anyone has any opinions good or bad they could share with me, my children are 10, 8 & 2, and my husband will be working in Dandenong area so all 3 areas will be close enough for him (he's used to travelling for 1hr up the M6 everyday!) I'd really like a couple of acres of land, but I'd also quite like 1/2 acre and be near the beach! we have about a $550,000 budget.
Any advice would be grately appreciated, Thank you!
The thing with Melbourne is that no matter where you live you are not ever that far from the beach. I grew up in the western suburbs of Melbourne and we often drove to the beach for the day. Then as a teenager and into my 20's the beach featured prominently in my social life as it was never far away.

Its about what you want really - I have always said that I would not want to live by the beach unless I could look out my windows and actually see it! Will you use all the space if you were on a couple of acres of land? You could sink a pool into it and trust me, you'd not go to the beach as often if that was the case.

I'd settle in for a while before making a choice like that and ask the locals. Mt Eliza is quite expensive so not sure how much actual house you'd get for your money. If you are not in a rush - I'd check out it out first hand as it is very hard to get an accurate idea until you do.

In my humble opinion.

Dinnie
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dinnie
The thing with Melbourne is that no matter where you live you are not ever that far from the beach. I grew up in the western suburbs of Melbourne and we often drove to the beach for the day. Then as a teenager and into my 20's the beach featured prominently in my social life as it was never far away.

Its about what you want really - I have always said that I would not want to live by the beach unless I could look out my windows and actually see it! Will you use all the space if you were on a couple of acres of land? You could sink a pool into it and trust me, you'd not go to the beach as often if that was the case.

I'd settle in for a while before making a choice like that and ask the locals. Mt Eliza is quite expensive so not sure how much actual house you'd get for your money. If you are not in a rush - I'd check out it out first hand as it is very hard to get an accurate idea until you do.

In my humble opinion.

Dinnie
Thanks Dinnie, we are really jumping in at the deep end I have been to Australia once (and that was Adelaide) and my husbands never been! We are taking a gamble, but you gotta have a dream! I'm sure it will pay off
Jacky
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:34 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

If your looking at Mount Eliza then why not look next door at Mornington as well.

Can I ask what the attraction with Skye is???
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Not familiar with Skye, but of the remainder I'd go for Mount Eliza given your budget while not meaning to offend any other area you've listed - Langawarrin is a perfectly decent area.

Mt Eliza will have the most 'villagey' feel, the centre has good facilites - better than most other places of similar size.

If you will not be commuting to the CBD then as Bill (Bordy) suggests do not close your mind to something in Mornington -you could probablty get somewhere not far from the beach a little bigger than in Mt Eliza, and as Mornington is a town proper the facilites would be better than either area you have listed. That said, I'd still choose Mt Eliza!

Neil
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
If your looking at Mount Eliza then why not look next door at Mornington as well.

Can I ask what the attraction with Skye is???
I don't really know! I have never been to Melbourne, only to Australia once (and that was adelaide!) I thought it looked like it may be in the right place ish and the cost of houses/land was quite nice. Skye just came up while i was looking for Langwarrin land on the real estate site, and when I looked where it was it seemed okay (don't really like the Sandhurst golf estate thing though). Is there something you want to let me in on? I am so very open to opinions! Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, oh, I though Mornington may be a little too far down.
Thanks
Jacky
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:13 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Hi!
We're heading for Mount Eliza next year too!!
I've got 3 kids, lads aged 13 & 12 and a 6 yr old daughter!
Where in the midlands are you?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Not familiar with Skye, but of the remainder I'd go for Mount Eliza given your budget while not meaning to offend any other area you've listed - Langawarrin is a perfectly decent area.

Mt Eliza will have the most 'villagey' feel, the centre has good facilites - better than most other places of similar size.

If you will not be commuting to the CBD then as Bill (Bordy) suggests do not close your mind to something in Mornington -you could probablty get somewhere not far from the beach a little bigger than in Mt Eliza, and as Mornington is a town proper the facilites would be better than either area you have listed. That said, I'd still choose Mt Eliza!

Neil
Thanks for your thoughts, what is it that makes people like Mount Eliza so much, i've read a lot of good things about Mount Eliza
Jacky
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SalSa
Hi!
We're heading for Mount Eliza next year too!!
I've got 3 kids, lads aged 13 & 12 and a 6 yr old daughter!
Where in the midlands are you?
We are from Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands, I see that you're from Derbyshire, just up the A38! What made you chose Mount Eliza, I guess you've been before and liked it, unlike us who've never been to Melbourne before and are just taking the plunge hoping it will pay off. When are you looking at going?
Jacky
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:27 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penny31
We are from Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands, I see that you're from Derbyshire, just up the A38! What made you chose Mount Eliza, I guess you've been before and liked it, unlike us who've never been to Melbourne before and are just taking the plunge hoping it will pay off. When are you looking at going?
Jacky
You've guessed it!!! We've never been AT ALL
Friends emigrated this time last year and it looks fantastic sooooo........ why not!
We've just sent our main application off so as soon as we get it we're off!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Friends emigrated this time last year and it looks fantastic sooooo........ why not!
Good on you!
Jacky
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Elly13 is on a distinguished road

weve never been either seem to have chosen anglesea. it just kind of sounded nice. booked into the big4 holiday park for 2 weeks. fly on the 24th nov. getting a bit nervous now!!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elly13
weve never been either seem to have chosen anglesea. it just kind of sounded nice. booked into the big4 holiday park for 2 weeks. fly on the 24th nov. getting a bit nervous now!!!
We stayed at the big4 anglesea last weekend and it was fantastic the park is lovely and really clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

you will love it!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Elly13 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by playbunny75
We stayed at the big4 anglesea last weekend and it was fantastic the park is lovely and really clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

you will love it!
i hpe so! were they child friendly ive got a 6 and 3 year old
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elly13
Haven't heard of Anglesea, whats this big4 holiday park? Good luck with your move who are you flying with....Emirates are coming out on top of our list at the mo (especially as we can go from Birmingham)
Wishing you all the best, we will be in your situ soon!
Jacky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.