Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC website: 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia

BBC website: 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia

Old May 21st 2016, 4:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC website: 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Council tax is much higher in the UK (slightly more than double), I hate to think what it would be in the South.
Not sure it really works that way...years ago when I lived in Wandsworth the council tax was cheap as chips, about half what it was in the next borough along. Looks like it still is according to the map below.

Mapped: do you live in a high council tax area? - Telegraph

Seems to be pretty random.
Old May 21st 2016, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in what is generally thought of as one of the most expensive places to live in the UK. Heck we only have 1 supermarket - Waitrose! But, except for rents which are stupidly high, day to day costs we find a lot cheaper than Perth. Petrol is obviously a lot more, but, I don't need to drive half as much.
Old May 21st 2016, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not sure it really works that way...years ago when I lived in Wandsworth the council tax was cheap as chips, about half what it was in the next borough along. Looks like it still is according to the map below.

Think I need to appeal mine. We seem to be paying Bamd G rates for East Herts. But we live in an end terraced house and I doubt that it would be suitable for any family with more than one child, maybe two small ones. It has also increased 33% since last year, I was a bit confused as I wondered did I not do a full year last year with moving back, but it is ridiculously high now.
Old May 21st 2016, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting this. We live in Winchester, right in town and this is not an area known for its lack of wealth ( I do my best to counter balance this).

We live in a large 2 bed townhouse, no parking, no driveway, no garden ( shared courtyard). We pay £176 per mth which has not changed since we moved in as there is a 5yr freeze on increases here ( not sure how long to go). We are band E.

But there was thread a while back in MBTTUK where someone in a flat in Derbyshire was paying £200 it seems to have no logic to me.
Old May 21st 2016, 8:56 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Think I need to appeal mine. We seem to be paying Bamd G rates for East Herts. But we live in an end terraced house and I doubt that it would be suitable for any family with more than one child, maybe two small ones. It has also increased 33% since last year, I was a bit confused as I wondered did I not do a full year last year with moving back, but it is ridiculously high now.
Your council tax rate should be based on the value of your house. So if you have bought recently, check the banding rates with your local council. Definitely appeal if it is in a higher banding to what you purchased it for.

It took my father 10 years to claim his council tax rebate because he was convinced their banding would be changed. My parent's home was valued on the old rates system (as all properties were when council tax was introduced) and their house was classed as a 2 up 2 down. So it was placed in the Band A. My dad was convinced that if he put in a claim for council tax rebate, they would put the change the band as the house is now a 4 bed. But councils cannot change the banding unless you appeal, or if the property is sold. (unless the rules have changed in the last 3.5 yrs)
Old May 21st 2016, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Your council tax rate should be based on the value of your house. So if you have bought recently, check the banding rates with your local council. Definitely appeal if it is in a higher banding to what you purchased it for.

It took my father 10 years to claim his council tax rebate because he was convinced their banding would be changed. My parent's home was valued on the old rates system (as all properties were when council tax was introduced) and their house was classed as a 2 up 2 down. So it was placed in the Band A. My dad was convinced that if he put in a claim for council tax rebate, they would put the change the band as the house is now a 4 bed. But councils cannot change the banding unless you appeal, or if the property is sold. (unless the rules have changed in the last 3.5 yrs)
We bought eight years ago. It is expensive in the grand scheme of UK houses because it is commutable to London, but it is definitely not expensive for the South East area more generally. I look at googlemaps of the village and we seem to be one of only a few houses (the rest being my terraced block) not on acres of land! That we could be in the second highest of eight bands is simply ludicrous and am going to investigate it.
Old May 21st 2016, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I was living in Wandsworth paying peanuts compared to the houses across the street, maybe 15 metres away, paying through the nose for Lambeth's rate.
Old May 22nd 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
... plus it's still 1974 and Crocodile Dundee will pour you a warm beer whilst wrestling with a croc and dancing with your sheila.
Sigh....
And calling you "shit-for-brains"...
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've totally lost touch with the UK rates systems.... Is council tax rates or poll tax or a combination of both ?
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've totally lost touch with the UK rates systems.... Is council tax rates or poll tax or a combination of both ?
No such thing as poll tax, hasn't been for years. Council tax covers everything except water rates.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
No such thing as poll tax, hasn't been for years. Council tax covers everything except water rates.
So private renters dont pay rates and it's included in their rent as in Aus ?

Because when I rented in the UK years ago, I never paid rates.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You pay the council tax when you rent.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:36 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Its a factual article. Aus is very boring if you are coming from a city like london, it has just as much rain (if not more), dark evenings, ghost town citys after 9pm, no social life unless you enjoy sitting on an esky guarding your beers in someones back garden, limited culture, tall poppy syndrome, rude people, slobbish attitudes, ugly overhead cables, terrible driving standards, meth amphetamine epidemic, skanky women, poorly built houses, cold, birds that want to peck your eyes out, spiders that hide in shoes and under tiolet seats waiting to kill you with a single bite, sharks in the sea AND rivers waiting to eat you,snakes that want to kill your kids, trafic cops that hide in bushes with speed cameras, people shopping in pyjamas and bare feet, people that frown because you dared not to reverse into a parking slot, stupid misspelling of names, nasal whiny accents, inability to take any criticism of their precious country, p!ssy beer, disgusting "snags" $7 lemons.

I'll leave it at that for now.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Not sure how you decuced that from what I wrote renters pay council tax, owners pay council tax, it's the same thing as rates.

I've never really understood the expression 'renters don't pay rates in Oz'. Whenever I've rented a place out, I divide the cost of the annual rates by 13 and add it to to the rent. The tenant pays, just doesn't see it separately.

Last edited by Tr1boy; May 22nd 2016 at 6:40 am.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You pay the council tax when you rent.
Hang on.... what as a seperate bill ? Or included in the rent with the council tax being the landlords responsibility. Because that's how it was when I left the UK.

If it is a seperate bill, whats the difference between that and a poll tax ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.