British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbc-wanted-down-under-series-9-a-849903/)

louie Jan 7th 2015 12:56 pm

Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

Yesterday's was interesting. The younger son had a heart condition and will probably (according to the programme) need a heart transplant at some future point; he was pushed out of the airport in a wheelchair although seemed fairly active in the rest of the programme. So I thought they had b*gger all chance of getting a visa and thought how cruel it was that no-one had thought it necessary to mention it to them (or indeed to flag up how difficult it would be so that viewers would realise health issues can be a problem). Then I looked online and it says they have been in Australia since September. It doesn't say whether on a permanent visa or a 457 but it does make me wonder whether the programme significantly overegged how poorly he was for the sake of good TV (in which case, poor show BBC).

garyp Jan 8th 2015 10:18 am

Originally Posted by fromthetoon (Post 11524454)
Well said Pollyana. The BBC are very good with you during the filming period but they do get some facts wrong and they obviously do look for something to hook the audience.

I agree they do try and hook the audience by dwelling on something to make the programme slightly interesting. I managed to get down to the last 40 families for this series but they only needed 20. The researcher spent a lot of time wanting to talk to my 16 year old daughter who wasn't keen on going back to OZ as we had lived there in the past.

parlex Jan 8th 2015 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11524313)
Is it a current i.e. up-to-date series or old hash?

Website doesn't really say. :blink:

Brand new - Series 9 filmed in 2014

fromthetoon Jan 8th 2015 10:03 pm

I can empathise with you Garp. We were sent to Perth and in an informal conversation I had with the Director off the camera about the very unlikely prospect of my parents living with us (they already lived in Melbourne), they then popped the question to my wife (on camera)! She nearly died at the prospect and this was picked up by many of our friends - good laugh though!

Molly Coddle Jan 8th 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by fromthetoon (Post 11526740)
I can empathise with you Garp. We were sent to Perth and in an informal conversation I had with the Director off the camera about the very unlikely prospect of my parents living with us (they already lived in Melbourne), they then popped the question to my wife (on camera)! She nearly died at the prospect and this was picked up by many of our friends - good laugh though!

:rofl: :goodpost:

Molly Coddle Jan 8th 2015 10:34 pm

I knew a family who went on this a couple of years back, I went to school with the bloke.

They didn't tell many people they were going on it, we didn't know but just happend to watch it that day. He came across as the biggest knob ever because of the editing, but he is a really lovely bloke in reality.
I saw him a few weeks after in Sainsbirys and I got great pleasure from taking the piss out of him about it. He was mortified, me and his wife couldn't stop laughing!:lol: gotta love WDU.

fromthetoon Jan 8th 2015 10:47 pm

Haha. Me too! I was asked some quite serious questions about my job in the UK and my son who I was leaving behind. I was asked to try and not look so serious! My reply was 'then stop asking serious questions that could have a negative impact on my life if things didn't work out.' They also asked me to talk slower and clearer, meaning cut out the accent.
My mates ripped it out of me for being so boring (hopefully I'm not too bad) and for talking differently.

The other negative point for us was that my wife has received sooo many men asking to be her friend on FB and what she's doing with me? Again, we laugh at it but hopefully she doesn't be-friend them!!
Unfortunately I've only received a few women requests :-(
On the positive note, it was all good fun and worthwhile.
Oh I was asked for my autograph by this guy who had some obsession with white caps!!!

Molly Coddle Jan 8th 2015 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by fromthetoon (Post 11526785)
Haha. Me too! I was asked some quite serious questions about my job in the UK and my son who I was leaving behind. I was asked to try and not look so serious! My reply was 'then stop asking serious questions that could have a negative impact on my life if things didn't work out.' They also asked me to talk slower and clearer, meaning cut out the accent.
My mates ripped it out of me for being so boring (hopefully I'm not too bad) and for talking differently.

The other negative point for us was that my wife has received sooo many men asking to be her friend on FB and what she's doing with me? Again, we laugh at it but hopefully she doesn't be-friend them!!
Unfortunately I've only received a few women requests :-(
On the positive note, it was all good fun and worthwhile.
Oh I was asked for my autograph by this guy who had some obsession with white caps!!!

Oh Dear! :lol:

The bloke I know got asked to 'speak with a clearer accent' too, that's one of the things I was taking the mick out of him about. He has a very broad Northern English accent but on the programme, he came across all posh....:rofl: Too bloody funny, poor lad, he still gets ribbed about until this day. And after all that they never even moved to Australia.:lol:

And what's even funnier is they only did it to save money, but they're bloody loaded, so aren't short of a bob or two. I bet they regret it now though.

Mind you the kids were very well behaved so I suppose it could have been worse! :lol:

Tr1boy Jan 9th 2015 1:41 pm

I watched today's, mainly because it was featuring a Chartered couple and it was based in a city we know better than Perth.

I got what they were saying re salaries, but the guy met a recruiter and was told he'd get xx amount in Public, but wouldn't he need to be a citizen?

Surprised at the house prices in Sanctuary Point ow wherever it was (I'm familiar more with the Eastern side). Is there a downside to that area?

fromthetoon Jan 9th 2015 9:01 pm

I don't believe you need to be a citizen for all public jobs but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't take too much notice about comparing prices in Ozz with those in the UK. I earn a great deal more over here than I did in the UK for doing the same job but it seems to work out the same at the end of the day. General bills costs work out different in both countries if that makes sense.

House prices have shot up in the past few years but you can get great prices if you're prepared to live 30 minutes or so away from the main cities / beaches. If we lived in our closest City which is a 10 minute drive away, it was cost us an extra $200K to have the same house and land as we currently have.

Pollyana Jan 9th 2015 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by fromthetoon (Post 11527984)
I don't believe you need to be a citizen for all public jobs but I could be wrong.

Varies from State to State. Some States will allow temp residents to hold temp posts and contract positions (thats how I started in Qld) but usually a perm job requires either a PR or citizen.
Most local govt is ok on a temp visa
Federal jobs are almost all citizen - though again some contract posts can be hold by temp residents.

Tr1boy Jan 9th 2015 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by fromthetoon (Post 11527984)

I wouldn't take too much notice about comparing prices in Ozz with those in the UK. I earn a great deal more over here than I did in the UK for doing the same job but it seems to work out the same at the end of the day. General bills costs work out different in both countries if that makes sense.

House prices have shot up in the past few years but you can get great prices if you're prepared to live 30 minutes or so away from the main cities / beaches. If we lived in our closest City which is a 10 minute drive away, it was cost us an extra $200K to have the same house and land as we currently have.

I lived in Oz for 22 years, I'm familiar with how the CoL works, just wasn't familiar with that suburb. They were housed in W'town but then seemed to be gravitating North west of Westgate?

Molly Coddle Jan 12th 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 11528063)
I lived in Oz for 22 years, I'm familiar with how the CoL works, just wasn't familiar with that suburb. They were housed in W'town but then seemed to be gravitating North west of Westgate?

Sanctuary Lakes, is a huge housing estate in its own gated complex.
We went to check it out a few times as I couldn't believe how cheap the houses are there. There are lots of lovely new modern type houses on the estate and It has a lake in the middle of the complex,( hence the name)it has a club and a pub and also a childcare centre.

I think one of the reasons it's so cheap is the traffic to the city at peak times isn't the greatest ( we tried it out) the traffic jams in a morning would drive me mad but i would have been working from home, however hubby would have needed to get in the city, also it just seemed to lack character, not much going on in the surrounds and the high schools didn't have the greatest reputation but apart from that, I can't really see that there's any major problem with it. There's quite a few poms live happily on there, so maybe they can tell you more.

Tr1boy Jan 12th 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11530307)
Sanctuary Lakes, is a huge housing estate in its own gated complex.
We went to check it out a few times as I couldn't believe how cheap the houses are there. There are lots of lovely new modern type houses on the estate and It has a lake in the middle of the complex,( hence the name)it has a club and a pub and also a childcare centre.

I think one of the reasons it's so cheap is the traffic to the city at peak times isn't the greatest ( we tried it out) the traffic jams in a morning would drive me mad but i would have been working from home, however hubby would have needed to get in the city, also it just seemed to lack character, not much going on in the surrounds and the high schools didn't have the greatest reputation but apart from that, I can't really see that there's any major problem with it. There's quite a few poms live happily on there, so maybe they can tell you more.

Thanks Molly. Sounds like it may have sprung up since we moved to the UK (mid 2010)? Just looked it up on the map, makes more sense now re prices. I figured it had to be in that area as they mentioned Werribee earlier. Now way I'd personally live on that side of the bridge unless work was there (extremely unlikely for me).

Looked good on the space/$$ equation though!

tigerbabby78 Mar 1st 2015 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11524372)
Guys, as I say every time one of these shows runs, please be mindful that there are people on the site who have appeared in them, and there may well be others who are in this new series.
They are obviously heavily edited for tv, so lets have a bit of respect when discussing individual participants.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for posting this :goodpost:. I was in the Etherington/Peat episode, absolutely correct the programme was very heavily edited and the fact that we don't own a house is certainly not odd in this day and age believe me!

x