Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:11 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by alicecat
I have no idea. I left a few months back.

Did Howard end up turning off the water to the agricultural areas to supply the urban demand? Have people actually woken up to the fact that washing the car and house, filling the pool and flushing the toilet are all not essential uses of prime drinking water? Have they realised that there isn't enough useable/liveable land in Australia for everyone to have a Macmansion with a big yard and pool? That the electrical infrastructure as it is cannot cope with everyone having aircon. That infrastructure is such that it is almost impossible to live in the affordable suburbs without a car and petrol is not going to get cheaper? Is anyone yet concerned that the economy depends on a nonrenewable resource that the rest of the world may decide it doesn't want anymore? Does anyone realise that arable land is at a minimum anyway and what is being used is subject to degradation? Will everyone still think Australia is a paradise if they end up having to pay over the odds for food (because it all needs to be imported or the cost of growing it is just too much) and water (because there isn't any) and they just have to bear the heat without aircon and a pool?

I hope things are changing for the better with a new government.
I am not sure about turning water off from agriculture for urban areas. I don't think many Queenslanders have taken on board washing the car,house,or filling the pool up as something they should care about.
Our house has a large roof so catching water into a water tank and you can get all shapes and sizes to fit any size block and a must have really. New builds have to have some kind of water tank now. The older Aussies seems to know whats what with water and electricity.

My husband as always said what is going to happen when the boom is over and they don't want our resources anymore? They seem to be ignoring other ways of the country earning it's living and I am sure we should be working on it now.

Food and water is something we all need. So lets hope our new government can be more forward thinking than the last lot.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I have nothing against these families and I bet they are edited a lot but I think some of these families don't use the internet because some of the things they seem suprised at amaze me. You can do a alot of research on the internet. How many of us have got information off this one website.

And if the producers are watching please STOP HAVING PEOPLE TWIST/TURN/SPIN THOSE FLAGS.

When I moved to Britain from Australia apart from maybe ASBOS (seeing them on telly not getting them myself) I was NOTsuprised with anything about living here because I did heaps of looking on the internet.
i totally agree with those bloody flags
youd think theyd get new ones for each program because by the end of the series they look really tatty.come on bbc i pay my liscence fee at least shell out for some laminated card and a colour photocopier
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:43 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Come back and say that when you have grown up and had kids!!!!!(god help them).

Why are you waiting for a TV programme to give you a 'leg up' the rest of us on here married single, with or without kids can do it without the Tv programme why cant you?:curse:

I agree, not many posts on here get my blood boiling but that one did, but, having thought of 'that' posting all day (what a sad life i lead!!!) I now think it must've been a wind-up

I think, as responsible and caring parents, we are all having to deal with feelings of guilt at the thought of upsetting our kids by taking them away from family and friends.

If it was a wind-up, it was in poor taste - if you actually meant it, whoever you are, then keep your views to yourself. That said, i'm going for my tea, just been summonsed by OH
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Randy will become famous soon enoughRandy will become famous soon enough

I`ll remember the next time I post on here that i need to "strike a nerve" to get people`s attention. I posted a question earlier, but because It wasn`t contraversial, none of you bothered to answer it.

You`re bound to disagree with my opinion (well you`re hardly going to criticise yourselves are you).

If you were open-minded you will admit, that if your kids wanted to move to Oz but you didn`t.. then you wouldn`t have gone !

You didn`t move for your childrens sake, You moved for your own. Call me imature if you wish, but at 39 don`t expect me to agree.

I hope no one decides to air their opinion on here in future, in-case it`s different to your own.. now that would be naughty wouldn`t it.. How dare they!

Oh, by the way. If taking your children away to a new country isn`t wrong, then why do you have "Guilt".

Strewth :curse:
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Randy
I`ll remember the next time I post on here that i need to "strike a nerve" to get people`s attention. I posted a question earlier, but because It wasn`t contraversial, none of you bothered to answer it.

You`re bound to disagree with my opinion (well you`re hardly going to criticise yourselves are you).

If you were open-minded you will admit, that if your kids wanted to move to Oz but you didn`t.. then you wouldn`t have gone !

You didn`t move for your childrens sake, You moved for your own. Call me imature if you wish, but at 39 don`t expect me to agree.

I hope no one decides to air their opinion on here in future, in-case it`s different to your own.. now that would be naughty wouldn`t it.. How dare they!

Oh, by the way. If taking your children away to a new country isn`t wrong, then why do you have "Guilt".

If you had something interesting to say then people would reply - posting stupid opinionated comments will get a response, just not the kind you're looking for.

Suggest you grow up or shut up
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Randy will become famous soon enoughRandy will become famous soon enough

Mary, don`t you mean "either agree with Mary... or Shut up"???
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:50 pm

Mary, don`t you mean "either agree with Mary... or Shut up"???
You got it sunshine!!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
I heard that there are plans to make a version of Wanted Down Under for singles but first they are going to make 'Wife Swap' for singles.
Reminds me of the old joke. Something like this.....

Bloke puts an advert in the local press:

Middle aged man with settled job, own house and likes socializing seeks like minded partner for potential wife.

He received 55 replies which all said "You can have mine"
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

We are hoping to move so we can have a better family life and being able to enjoy a life where we can make plans to do things as a family and not wondering if it will stop pissing rain here to see if we can go out or not.Also it will be a benefit to our kids both lifestyle wise and educational wise as they seem to encourage education in aus where in this country it costs a poxy fortune to do that. Plus most of us on here are moving to give there kids a better life and many of them kids are to small to understand that but they will as they get older.

And regarding you opinion we might agree with it if it didnt sound so immature. Even for a 39 year old
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I don`t see why everyone on this show has to be married and have a family. Most people are actually single or in a relationship. I`m single and would love to move to Oz. But never get the opportunity to get a leg-up by programs like this cos I aint married.
I think couples with children are wrong to move countries.. they should think of these things before having kids.

Right?
Hi Randy.

They have done people in non marital relationships already and I agree it wouldn't hurt doing the odd show on a single person moving. As has already been said though it's probably because the BBC don't see it as marketable as they wouldn't have the same family dramas and stress type things to focus on. Shame though as there are singles making the move regularly who have their own type of dramas to contend with would appreciate an insight I'm sure.

I don't understand why you think it's so wrong for families to move countries though. Is it just that you think they should not uproot their
kids ? Perhaps you could elaborate.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

What about me? My kids want to move to Aus, I want them to move to Aus and I also want to move to Aus.
Have spent time in Aus and all of us really enjoyed being there. Does that make me a bad parent? Should I feel guilty for trying to make everyone happy?
Or am I exempt from any of the categories on here?
Oh and yes I would have considered a move to Aus if my kids had wished to
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:28 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

i deleted my last message as i got a bit mad. All i will say is my child, my choice, **** all to do with you
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
i deleted my last message as i got a bit mad. All i will say is my child, my choice, **** all to do with you
nice one clare
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Randy;5896642]I don`t see why everyone on this show has to be married and have a family. Most people are actually single or in a relationship. I`m single and would love to move to Oz. But never get the opportunity to get a leg-up by programs like this cos I aint married.
I think couples with children are wrong to move countries.. they should think of these things before having kids.

Originally Posted by mary1967
I think you should keep your trap shut - i would say the majority of people on here have kids and won't appreciate your comments

If you want to move to Oz while single, then do it, but until you've got kids and 'lived' a bit, i think you should keep comments like that to yourself!
Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Well said Mary and just what we were thinking. We are married, have a 16, 10 and a 7 year old and can't wait, the kids are as excited about the move as we are, and we all can't wait for the challenges and adventures we are going to have all together as a family:

Tracy
Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Couple this week divorced from each other! Have been a few who are not married.
Hope your troll like posts don't last overly long as you may be in for a roasting saying stuff like it's wrong to move counties with kids
Originally Posted by Gonnago
What a stupid comment to make - may I ask what age you are?

I am only 27 (around the age of alot of backpackers) yet I have 3 children, to be honest I never considered going to Australia until I had my children, life is fine and dandy for me here, as a carefree single girl whos biggest responsibilty is choosing a good outfit for a night out, but not one I want for my kids.

One day, if you find someone to marry you im sure you will be eating your words. We have a responsibilty to raise our children the best we can and give them the best opportunities available, that we believe is in Australia, for us personally.

You have alot to learn!
Originally Posted by fairwayskid
What Mary siad:
Originally Posted by steveandtina
Come back and say that when you have grown up and had kids!!!!!(god help them).

Why are you waiting for a TV programme to give you a 'leg up' the rest of us on here married single, with or without kids can do it without the Tv programme why cant you?:curse:
Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Nothing else left to say, very well covered in the replies above.

Particulary liked ozzieclare2b's answear though

Johnnyyt
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I think anyone who uproots their family , and in particular those with children deserves applause and respect for making that descision.

Anyone who does not have children just cannot know the rollercoaster of guilt and emotion that parents go through when there are little ones involved.

That said, you have to be resiliant, strong and focused on getting the best for you and your family, persistance pays off!!! and more importantly , if you don't like something in life - change it!!

and that last statement applies equally to single people.

I Re watched Libby's program last night and I have to say it brought a smile to my face, they have definitely made the best choice for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.