Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC 2 Tonight 8.00pm

Wikiposts

BBC 2 Tonight 8.00pm

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by cazz
Hi I was hoping for more info and scenery, disapointed in what they showed. Went to Brisbane last christmas and and it looked far nicer than they showed eg Southpark is an amazing place for the kids but it showed practically nothing my holiday snaps are better. Thought it would have showed more of the coast as well.

Again not impressed with the relocaters.

It was good to see the emotion's tonight I know it won't be easy.

Who else cryed when they were saying goodbye at the airport? or am I the only emotional wreck on the forum?
Hi everone, well I cried and not ashamed to admit. My parents are very close and I filled up instantly. I am off in September to Melbourne and agree with everyone, would of rather seen the build up than what they showed but it is still an insight into some of the things to expect although I dont think 4 weeks is long enough to make your mind up.Anyone think different...
Jan Hutchy(emotional wreck too)!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Scoops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by LondonNurse
What did everyone think of tonites programme?

Personally, I thought they could have covered everything in a half hour show...

I was hoping they'd show more on shipping contents, schools, arranging housing,making friends etc...

The girl was my wifes aerobics teacher until she left. The staff at the Gym say she is getting on well and enjoys Oz.

scoops
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Two weeks to prepare.:scared:

Next to no help from the two wasters.. ooops (Relocators).

Film the family over their first Xmas away.

Show them the family videos and then ask if they are staying!

Was it just me or did the programe makers seem to want them to fail?

Bill
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sindy

Was it just me or did the programe makers seem to want them to fail?

Bill
Definitely! You could almost hear the bloke shout "YES!!" when she said she was going home. They do it every week though, shame really, could be a good program.
It's the bad acting when they're at the 'office' that gets me.

Bring on Kirstie Allsop & Phil Spencer!!
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I was disapointed with the show also. Didn't get to see much of Brissy either.
I can't work out what those so called relocaters actually did!!

I also felt the show seemed to concentrate on the couples lower points. Maybe they felt this made good viewing?

Pudnut...
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the whole show is about good viewing.
That's tv for ya.
And the relocators are bullshit, I saw that last week already. Relocators either don't exist, or work very differently to that, I'm sure! I don't think anyone would pay for this service (I hope)
Anyway, what I said: it's a tv show, it's all totally fake.

Anyway, I think part of the fun is finding your own house, school etc!

Well, at least it was realisticer than last week, they already had a visa, and had occupations which would easily get them a job.
The bit about the kids being bored and the mother going crazy was pretty realistic I think. You hear it often. I think it's better if the kids can go to school nearly straight away, and then the parents can get everything sorted.
Oh well, I don't have to worry about that, don't have any kids yet!
Much easier!

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:00 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I cried too. Just brought it home how hard the saying goodbye bit will be!

Our plans are that we are going to validate in July this year with a view to going out later in the year. The programme did make us think that we should perhaps put it off until the New Year as Christmas will be so hard.

I agree with everyone else though, they could have showed more about Brisbane (or Oz as a whole) and there must have been a lot more good points or they wouldn't have stayed.

Cheers
Kate
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Disapointed doesn`t come close. Expected a lot more from the programme. Those relocators are awful.

Oh well i suppose it makes good telly.

footie chick
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:31 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Going in the summer has to be insanity, going from a cold climate to a hot, sweaty summer with two bored toddlers! The kids hadn't had time to acclimatise to the weather or the time difference. I think a fortnight settling in and getting over the jet lag before job hunting has to be the way. Luckily the bloke had worked there before and seemed to know his way around. I also agree that one month is not long enough (apart from long enough to be seriously homesick). You've just started a new job, new house, things are going to be hectic and stressful. On the positive side the honeymoon period won't be over. Have the NZ folks seen the final edit of their move? It'll be interesting to see their take, especially on how useful the relocators were.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Scoops, Nice to hear they are getting on fine out there. Can just picture hubbie working along side him fixing street lights!!!!!!!!!

Pott.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pott
Scoops, Nice to hear they are getting on fine out there. Can just picture hubbie working along side him fixing street lights!!!!!!!!!

Pott.
In his lovely orange shirt and nice straw hat!!!!

Great uniform!

I would have thought the bright colour would attract the bugs, and did you see his workmate ..... "I hope all POMS are not like this" I thought it was hilarious.

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,it's interesting reading all your views on the program as we are the family that were "relocated" to new zealand. i haven't seen the show and don't know what footage they will show (they filmed us for seven weeks).
the presenters were great with us and there is a hell of a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that was a big help to us. yes it's a tv show so watching people fill out application forms isn't going to be very interesting. i can't speak for the other families but we weren't naive enough to let the bbc relocate us without doing our own research and making our own descisions. moving to another country is the hardest thing we have done but you make your own luck in this world. As far as i know there is nothing fake about the show and i was glad of the bbc's help. just remember two months worth of filming has been cut down to one hour. i hope they haven't cut all the good bits out of our program. let me know on the "hi from tauranga" thread on this forum as we won't see it for weeks yet.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

gowie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
hi,it's interesting reading all your views on the program as we are the family that were "relocated" to new zealand. i haven't seen the show and don't know what footage they will show (they filmed us for seven weeks).
the presenters were great with us and there is a hell of a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that was a big help to us. yes it's a tv show so watching people fill out application forms isn't going to be very interesting. i can't speak for the other families but we weren't naive enough to let the bbc relocate us without doing our own research and making our own descisions. moving to another country is the hardest thing we have done but you make your own luck in this world. As far as i know there is nothing fake about the show and i was glad of the bbc's help. just remember two months worth of filming has been cut down to one hour. i hope they haven't cut all the good bits out of our program. let me know on the "hi from tauranga" thread on this forum as we won't see it for weeks yet.
Will let you know, as we fly out to Rotorua on the 16th May.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
Hi, I think the bbc are trying to just create some drama. From the previous shows it seems they want the viewers to believe the families literally have two weeks to drop everything & go. Any remotely negative comment made during filming is put in, building up the 'will they, won't they' bit at the end.
I think we all know it's not a true picture of things. The presenters come across as pretty useless, so far anyway. It's good to hear your story first, sheds a new light on the whole thing! Sure it is just down to editing, like you said it's only a one hour show.
Anyway, hope your show get's some favourable reviews.

Cheers, Gra....
PS
Did they make you wear a mullet like the last poor bloke?
Old Apr 24th 2003, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

what's all this about a mullet? our friends e mailed us and that's all they were talking about.
some things are a little behind the uk in new zealand but i haven't seen any mullets out here yet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.